Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here we go again! Engine Ticking, LOUD fan, and air leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:50 AM
FlyboyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Here we go again! Engine Ticking, LOUD fan, and air leak?

Well last night i took notice to how LOUD my cooling fan is in my engine. Anyone elses loud as anything? I compared it to my friends 5.0 last night and his was practically silent.

Then i put my head down around the passenger side coils and i heard air coming from someplace? Where the heck could that be coming from?!?!

and last

the Ticking sound. I know all 5.0s pretty much do it but mine was a lot louder then the other 5.0 i was sitting next to. I was wondering if that was the a/c belt, the slack tensioner, or the actual engine ticking itself but their is no check engine light.

Thanks!!
Old 06-15-2012, 09:57 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

maybe record a video of the side by side comparo so we can hear (as best as anyone can via the interwebz) the difference you say you can observe...

don
Old 06-15-2012, 10:15 AM
FlyboyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
maybe record a video of the side by side comparo so we can hear (as best as anyone can via the interwebz) the difference you say you can observe...

don
Here ya go! :-) Thanks!

Listen to how loud that fan is!! haha
Old 06-15-2012, 10:34 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Make a video, preferably not with a crappy cell phone. The fuel injectors tick. Does the tick follow the speed of the engine?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:46 AM
FlyboyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Make a video, preferably not with a crappy cell phone. The fuel injectors tick. Does the tick follow the speed of the engine?
Its not crappy its an Iphone!!!.....yah its crappy i know haha. Im actually at work which is why i used it.

The tick does follow the speed of the engine.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:02 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I don't know anything about the cooling fans in the 5.0's, but that motor sounds perfectly normal to me. I couldn't even hear the ticking until you put the phone right down on it. My 4.6 has always made a ticking sound, but it's a tick, tick..........tick, tick..........., not a tick, tick, tick, tick sound like yours. I can only hear it when under the car with the motor running, so if I can't hear it during normal operation, then it's normal.

Last edited by moosestang; 06-15-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

...that motor sounds perfectly normal to me.
Ditto.

And I have no idea how you can detect an air leak with the radiator fan blowing air over the motor.

I was hoping your vid would include the other "quiet" engine. What oil brand and weight are you running?
Old 06-15-2012, 11:07 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Every engines valve train is going to make noise, some are noisier than others. You should hear my motorcycle engine!

My rule of thumb for motorcycle engine noises is, if I can't hear it with ear plugs in while riding, then it's normal!
Old 06-15-2012, 11:08 AM
FlyboyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Ditto.

And I have no idea how you can detect an air leak with the radiator fan blowing air over the motor.

I was hoping your vid would include the other "quiet" engine. What oil brand and weight are you running?
I wasnt trying to point out the air leak in the video haha thatd be impossible, just the ticking sound haha.

Using castrol syntheic 5w-20.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:09 AM
FlyboyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Every engines valve train is going to make noise, some are noisier than others. You should hear my motorcycle engine!

My rule of thumb for motorcycle engine noises is, if I can't hear it with ear plugs in while riding, then it's normal!
I know. Just being overly concerned. Trying to figure out what belt if it is that makes that noise. I know i saw it someplace before being the ac belt or something making noise.

Quick Reply: Here we go again! Engine Ticking, LOUD fan, and air leak?