Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 mustang won't turn over

Old 06-15-2012, 10:54 AM
cleteryan

Default 2005 mustang won't turn over

I recently intalled fog lights on 2005 mustang. after it won't turn over. I checked all fuses and relays. I check the battery and connections. I have all electronics but mileage has 6 dashes and when I turn the key the loose fuel cap warning light flashes which I checked of course. When I turn the key I hear the starter relay switch click. I have disconnected the fog lights but still nothing. I tested the small wire on the selenoid for power when key in the start position and nothing. I jumped the wires on the selenoid and then it cranks. Also tried the 2nd key with the same result. Obviously I triggered something installing the fog lights but I don't know what. Anyone else encouter this?
Old 06-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Other than your comment about it cranking when you jumped the solenoid wire (which doesn't seem to make sense to me), I'd say your battery is about shot. And often with it goes the alternator. The charging system in these S197's are mediocre.

Turn your lights on and tell me what happens when you try to crank the engine with the key. Also, someone else here recently found that their clutch switch wasn't engaging and preventing the car from cranking. If yours is a manual, try holding the clutch switch in manually while trying to crank her over.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:24 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=206&viewfil...g%20System.pdf
Old 06-15-2012, 06:32 PM
CAR-15
2nd Gear Member

I had a similar problem with mine when I was installing my sequential turn signal harness. I put a charger on the car and took off the harness. Then after charging for a bit I reinstalled the harness and everything was good to go. I just thought it was freak thing. Been good ever since.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:12 PM
cleteryan

It is an automatic so no clutch switch. I guess it could be trany position sensor. How do I test that? Lights are strong when i turn key and strong crank when I jump selenoid so I don't think it is battery. all warning lights r bright but door lock and radio display go dim when I turn key. I hear starter relay click and I have tested the relay so I don't think it is ignition switch. I didn't follow what harness to disconnect? I don't think it is anti-theft because warning light blinks when I put key in but stops when I turn the key. Any ideas are appreciated.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:22 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Service manual link given gives it to you step by step. All you need is a multimeter, a basic knowledge of how to use it, and the ability to read/comprehend the instructions given.

Since you state the relay is clicking, pinpoint test B is the likely starting point. Check the fuses first. Have you tried starting the vehicle with the car in neutral rather than park if you suspect the Digital Transmission Range Sensor(DTRS diagnostic specific here, page 5)?

This is how/what/where for the Transmission Range Sensor:http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=246&viewfile=Digital%20Transmission%20Range%2 0(TR)%20Sensor.pdf

Starting issue thread from earlier today (his problem was the CPS as he had a manual transmission, but fuse info applies)...
https://mustangforums.com/forum/7969785-post8.html

Last edited by wayne613; 06-15-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:51 AM
armyjared
1st Gear Member

I would just follow the guidance given by wayne can't go wrong with a service manual....sounds like a nightmare
Old 06-16-2012, 10:03 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

I assume that the car started fine before your work on the fog lights. Did you disconnect the battery while you were working on the lights? I'm guessing that you did. The connectors on the battery cables are probably dirty and don't make a good connection since you put them back on. A dirty connection at the battery can make all kinds of weird things happen including all the dash lights coming on strong but the car not starting.

For a dollar or two, you can get a battery post and cable cleaner which is just a wire brush set up so it will clean. Here's a pic at autozone http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...eaner/_/N-25ni Clean up the posts and clamps, put them back on the battery, and I bet the car will start just fine.

Even if it's not the problem, it's something you should do anyway as part of normal maintenance. So, cleaning the connectors will just eliminate one of the common causes of gremlins.

Last edited by JThor; 06-16-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:05 PM
cleteryan

test1
Old 06-16-2012, 05:11 PM
cleteryan

the info provided so far has been very helpful. The relay I heard clicking earlier was the tr sensor relay. The starter relay was not clicking. So following the manual I determined circuit #33 from tr sensor to starter relay is good. circuit #1419 only had 5 volts but needs 10. so measured resistance for pcm to starter relay and tested good at 5 ohms. so book says circuit #1419 which is grnd provided to starter relay from pcm needs repaired. I need help tracing this. can anyone tell me where it originates, wire color, and the easiest way to trace the circuit? Thanks for the help so far.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 mustang won't turn over