Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 V6 Idle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Nyhm
1st Gear Member

Exclamation 05 V6 Idle Issues

So my car has been doing this for a while but really hasn't affected me at all so I never thought it was an issue (and it may not be) but sometimes when I put my car into neutral (it's a stick shift btw) the idle will go up to 2k RPM then back down then back up again and repeat. If I put the clutch in while it's doing this it will drop back down to normal idle around 1k (little less). Any idea on what is causing this random idle problem? Like I said it's not every time I drive.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:21 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I 've had the same issue for years now...

Have you ever cleaned your throttle body and Mass Air Flow sensor?

If not, this will help!
Old 06-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Nyhm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
I have the same issue...

If not, this will help!
Well it's been doing this since I got the car back in 2009 and I just shrugged it off. About a month ago I was having issues with my car going into limp mode and I had the throttle body cleaned but didn't do anything and I replaced my throttle position sensor which stopped that issue. Mass air flow sensor I haven't touched though
Old 06-15-2012, 01:27 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nyhm
Well it's been doing this since I got the car back in 2009 and I just shrugged it off. About a month ago I was having issues with my car going into limp mode and I had the throttle body cleaned but didn't do anything and I replaced my throttle position sensor which stopped that issue. Mass air flow sensor I haven't touched though
Interesting, I've never gone into limp mode (knock on wood). Buy some MAF cleaner (autozone, advanced autos, etc.), spray it down, let it dry and then plug it back in and see if it helps any. Inexpensive and worth a try. ;-)
Old 06-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Nyhm
1st Gear Member

Interesting, I've never gone into limp mode (knock on wood). Buy some MAF cleaner (autozone, advanced autos, etc.), spray it down, let it dry and then plug it back in and see if it helps any. Inexpensive and worth a try. ;-)
It's a b**** when it does and is this a fairly common issue? I asked my dad and he said it's normal but I don't know...
Old 06-15-2012, 01:40 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I've read several other threads where people were having issues with their car idling high, when coming to a stop. I've never been too worried about it. ;-)
Old 06-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Nyhm
1st Gear Member

I've read several other threads where people were having issues with their car idling high, when coming to a stop. I've never been too worried about it. ;-)
Yeah like I said it isn't bothering me all that much, I was just making sure my car isn't about to blow up or something stupid lol
Old 06-15-2012, 01:50 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nyhm
Yeah like I said it isn't bothering me all that much, I was just making sure my car isn't about to blow up or something stupid lol
LOL ~ I hope not!!!
Old 06-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Do you have any mods? If you had "someone" clean the TB, then I recommend you do it yourself. It's very easy and at least you'll know it was done properly. Many idle issues are related to a dirty TB. And the MAF is a simple matter of spraying. I prefer to not scrub the MAF like some folks recommend on other forums.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:28 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I 've had the same issue for years now...

If not, this will help!
I hate to derail the thread but I have to ask; is there any complexity to removing the throttlebody? I tried looking up some instructions/videos but all I could find was this really old BBK video with bad quality. Did you need any special tools to remove it? Thank you in advance.

Sorry for the threadjack OP =)

Quick Reply: 05 V6 Idle Issues