Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011+ V6 Exhaust Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:17 AM
bigD1515
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Antonio323
Hahaha!

OP, thread fail! The search function is your friend. This question has only been asked about 746,193 times.
I have searched the forum, hundreds of times. There was not one thing on here about why or what makes the 3.7 sound beefier. Especially regarding the X/H pipes.

Originally Posted by Hstanfield
switch to true straight pipes from the engine, o/r with no mufflers and slp headers, it sounds great, thats what i have
There's an idea! Now back to YouTube to see if anyone has straight-piped their 3.7s.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigD1515
I have searched the forum, hundreds of times. There was not one thing on here about why or what makes the 3.7 sound beefier. Especially regarding the X/H pipes.
If you want the beefier sound of a GT, you're gonna have to swap that 3.7 for a 4.6 or a 5.0. Sorry to break it to you, but the sound of a V6 will never replicate that of a V8. You will only get it to sound good for a V6. Sorry I can't help you with this one, I have a 4.slow so they sound different. And as far as X pipes and H pipes, X=raspier tone, H=beefier tone. And the HP differences of H and X is about a HP from what I've read, but who can even notice such a tiny difference. If you want to get it as beefy as possible, switch to an H-pipe.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:33 AM
bigD1515
3rd Gear Member

If you want the beefier sound of a GT, you're gonna have to swap that 3.7 for a 4.6 or a 5.0. Sorry to break it to you, but the sound of a V6 will never replicate that of a V8. You will only get it to sound good for a V6. Sorry I can't help you with this one, I have a 4.slow so they sound different. And as far as X pipes and H pipes, X=raspier tone, H=beefier tone. And the HP differences of H and X is about a HP from what I've read, but who can even notice such a tiny difference. If you want to get it as beefy as possible, switch to an H-pipe.
Oh hell I'd be retarded if I thought I could sound JUST LIKE a V8 with a 3.7L haha I just want a deeper tone with minimal rasp. Thanks for the useful info Antonio. I learned I should get Off Road instead of catted as well. This correct?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

You can't merge the two banks of three cylinders each of a V6 in a way that will make it sound like the two banks of four cylinders in the V8.

This used to come up often enough that I plotted a V8 and a V6 for the way the individual cylinders combine their pulses. The higher and more widely spaced peaks in red in the first plot is one side of your basic V8 rumble either as true duals or most 'H' type crossovers. It happens when cylinders that fire in sequence are in the same bank, and you briefly get heavier flow in that bank/pipe, and it's this sort of uneven choppiness that provides the characteristic V8 rumble. (If you listen really carefully from straight behind the middle of a car with a V8 and duals or an H-pipe, you can even pick out that the 'rumble' bounces back and forth from right to left - try it if you don't believe me.)

If you were to merge the flows completely the sound would look like the second plot. An 'X' comes close to this.

A V6 looks like this (↓↓↓), banks taken separately or completely merged. There is no way to produce the uneven choppy V8 plot with a V6 firing order because the normal V6 firing order never puts sequentially firing cylinders in the same bank.

I suppose you could redesign the crankshaft and revise the firing order to TRY to get V8 sound from a V6 - at great expense to yourself, and with a real risk of sounding more like a blatty old VW or H-4 Subaru instead.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-25-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Norm, that's a really good illustration. I can totally see how it illustrates the V8 rumble.

BigD, if the same is true for all V6 with off road exhaust, it'll have a lot more raspiness and it'll pop a lot more as well. Check out some vids on YouTube. I saw a video the other night of a 4.0 with off road exhaust. I thought it sounded pretty good while driving, but when it's just idling, there is a ton of popping.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I hope folks will forgive the "odd" and "even" bank notation - I first put that together when I was mostly involved with Chevy stuff, and I never got around to changing it to something more general.

Norm
Old 06-25-2012, 05:22 PM
bigD1515
3rd Gear Member

Wow norm that's a fantastic illustration! Thanks for taking the time to do that! I always wanted to be "tech" smart with cars just like that. Well thanks for explaining that (: I'll just have to hope for a deeper sound with an X/H pipe. Apparently a guy at a shop near here is REALLY good at making cars sound incredibly good for what they are. Anymore advice is welcome! (:
Old 06-26-2012, 02:10 PM
bigD1515
3rd Gear Member

Check out some vids on YouTube
Antonio do you happen to have a video of your car with the Custom H pipe and those Flowmasters?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:43 PM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigD1515
Antonio do you happen to have a video of your car with the Custom H pipe and those Flowmasters?
he has a different motor. the 4.0 sounds terrible without cats...i have an h pipe and slp loudmouths and its loud but its deep and throaty and i love it. when i trade in for a 3.7 im going to think about logtubes offroad x and roush axle backs like the link ill put in. if not a cut and clamp x pipe and the roush axle backs should sound good. from this video look up 3.7s with roush axle back only and listen they sound very good.

first start up is at 4 minutes and thirty seconds. the very beginning is just the roush axle backs and then skip to 4 and a half minutes because the part between those two sections is the install...hope this helps
Old 06-26-2012, 02:47 PM
bigD1515
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007bluestang
he has a different motor. the 4.0 sounds terrible without cats...i have an h pipe and slp loudmouths and its loud but its deep and throaty and i love it. when i trade in for a 3.7 im going to think about logtubes offroad x and roush axle backs like the link ill put in. if not a cut and clamp x pipe and the roush axle backs should sound good. from this video look up 3.7s with roush axle back only and listen they sound very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDAHD...hannel&list=UL

first start up is at 4 minutes and thirty seconds. the very beginning is just the roush axle backs and then skip to 4 and a half minutes because the part between those two sections is the install...hope this helps
Oh yeah I forgot he has a 2010, nvm Antonio ^.^ and is that your car in the video? I've seen it a dozen times. I don't know if I can have something THAT LOUD where I live, so sexy though!

Quick Reply: 2011+ V6 Exhaust Help!