Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.10 gear help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

I don't think you guys are understanding what OP is saying. He wants to know why it is that the Ford dealership wants to charge him $300 for a job that they're already doing at the expense of OP's insurance. In other words, the dealership is already going through the hassle of swapping his old 3.55 gears from his old housing onto a new one. What he wants to know is why they wanna charge him $300 to put in new 4.10 gears in the new housing when they're already doing the same job with the old 3.55 gears and not charging him a penny for it.

OP, if the previous statements I mentioned are correct, then my guess would be that they're charging you those $300 for the purchase of the 4.10 gears and the installation. Just think about it, the insurance is only gonna cover the cost to have your OEM gears swapped into a different housing. The dealership can't just give you new 4.10 gears, you have to buy them. And assuming that you buy them, the next step is installation, which is another cost to you. $300 doesn't seem too bad, many here pay that or more just to get new gears installed without including the price of the gears themselves. If I were you, I'd get them.

Last edited by Antonio323; 06-25-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 AM
jwt06gt

Originally Posted by Antonio323
I don't think you guys are understanding what OP is saying. He wants to know why it is that the Ford dealership wants to charge him $300 for a job that they're already doing at the expense of OP's insurance. In other words, the dealership is already going through the hassle of swapping his old 3.55 gears from his old housing onto a new one. What he wants to know is why they wanna charge him $300 to put in new 4.10 gears in the new housing when they're already doing the same job with the old 3.55 gears and not charging him a penny for it.

OP, if the previous statements I mentioned are correct, then my guess would be that they're charging you those $300 for the purchase of the 4.10 gears and the installation. Just think about it, the insurance is only gonna cover the cost to have your OEM gears swapped into a different housing. The dealership can't just give you new 4.10 gears, you have to buy them. And assuming that you buy them, the next step is installation, which is another cost to you. $300 doesn't seem too bad, many here pay that or more just to get new gears installed without including the price of the gears themselves. If I were you, I'd get them.

Exactually what you said is what I mean lol, and yes I am going to buy the 410 gears and I talked to the salesman about doing it and he told me that if we have to set up the 355 gears in the new one then yes they could put the 410 gears in for free cause there already charging the insurance for installing them but the tech said that he would have to set the 410s up and that's what would cost the 300 but if he has to do the same thing with the 355s why would he want to charge me an extra 300 to do the same thing that he is going to do with my 355s I just don't get it? Do you have to do extra stuff when doing 410s over 355s cause it should be the same thing?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

I'm not an expert when it comes to gears, so I can't help you out much at this point. I haven't even done them myself. Maybe one of the more experienced members on here will chime in and answer your question.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:08 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
What is a Ford House?

Ford dealers would likely order a whole new rear end, which comes completely assembled with gears, so they will have to tear it apart and install the 4.10's. They have to replace the pinion gear at the very least and re-shim the carrier.
What is a Ford House? That is where Fords live?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:13 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Perhaps the additional cost is the labor to reflash the PCM with the new gear ratio to correct the speedometer.. In reality it shouldn't take more than a couple minutes, but they might charge a minimum amount of labor (usually 1 labor hour). Doesn't explain the total amount of $300 but maybe some of it. If you have any mods/tune, you might want to make sure they don't reflash your PCM. I am likely wrong about them doing that, but better safe than sorry.

Don
Old 06-25-2012, 11:16 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2cokeman
What is a Ford House? That is where Fords live?
answered earlier...
Originally Posted by jwt06gt
the ford house is what i call the ford dealership near me.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:56 AM
jwt06gt

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Perhaps the additional cost is the labor to reflash the PCM with the new gear ratio to correct the speedometer.. In reality it shouldn't take more than a couple minutes, but they might charge a minimum amount of labor (usually 1 labor hour). Doesn't explain the total amount of $300 but maybe some of it. If you have any mods/tune, you might want to make sure they don't reflash your PCM. I am likely wrong about them doing that, but better safe than sorry.

Don
They won't have to flash the computer I have a programmer for my car so that's not a problem, I don't think the tech at the ford dealership understood what I was asking or he might of thought that I was going to buy the gears from them. So when I go to talk to them again I'll find out for sure cause I don't think he knew what he was talking about.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:33 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Sounds like they are trying to rip you off. The labor for installing the gears should be the same whether you use your old gears or if you provide a different (replacement) set. However some places might charge more since you didn't buy the part from them but that is a different matter.

You might want to try another dealership and see what they say.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:22 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

There's slightly more labor with doing the swap (like the bearing that needs pressed on), but if the price includes the 4.10's themselves and you are guaranteed they are Ford Racing, then do it. We're talking a difference of maybe 30-60 minutes of billable shop time, but with the gears themselves included in the 300 bucks its completely worth it. Make sure they are Ford Racing gears...accept no substitute when it comes to gears.

If the 300 does not include new gears, that's pure BS. There's no way it's going to take an extra 2 hours to press a bearing on the pinion and reshim...he has to reshim anyway with moving the old gears over!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 AM
lenko
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwt06gt
I'm still confused and don't see where anyone explained it to me lol. So they don't have to set up my stock gears in the new housing?
The pinion head is likely a different thickness so they would have to install a different size pinion shim to make sure the gears mesh at the right depth to give the best contact pattern. To do this they may have to remove the large pinion pinion bearing and then press it on with the right sized shim.
Carrier side bearing shims may have to be changed to a different thickness to maintain the correct backlash distance somewhere between .08 and .15 thou spacing. IF the pinion head is similar or same thickness, then they may be able to get away with a simpler replacement like they state. I would want the correct pinion shim to adjust for any pinion head dimension difference. I've done 1 set of 373 and 4 sets of 410 gears and in each case the pinion head head dimensions were different necessitating a different size pinion shim and much adjustment of carrier shims (on the sides.) Ford Racing 410s are however a little more forgiving as to whining, but a right size shim usually eliminates any possibility such gear noise.

Last edited by lenko; 06-27-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: add