Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's what happens the week you pay off your car loan.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:35 AM
CaptainComet

Default Here's what happens the week you pay off your car loan.

My wife takes off for work in her black 07 Mustang. We just paid off the car loan this last week.

Funny story .... see this post ....

Anyway, she gets 2 blocks from home and hears water sloshing around. Thinks she spilled her water bottle. Looks on the passenger side to see two inches of water in the front and rear footwells.

We live in Florida. We watched Tropical Storm Debi rain on us ... a lot.... 10 inches yesterday.

Seems that rubber bootie at the bottom of the cowl was caked up with dirt and debris, probably for a while. With all the rain, it finally backed up enough to overflow into the interior via the A/C.

One hour late for work,and a lot of vacuuming to at least start drying it out.

Rubber Bootie now ripped out.... and thrown into the box that also holds the other stupid rubber bootie, that was there to silence the air box (and choke off half the airflow to the filter).

Now if there is a leaf that falls into the cowl, it will get washed out through the much-larger oval hole. The rubber piece that was in there is funnel-shaped and probably designed with the idea to direct the water, but it also looks like it was specifically designed to trap foreign objects and jam up. I am sure that wasn't their intent, but not smart.

It is almost like owning a classic Mustang and having to watch out for cowl rot. At least this is plastic and not metal.

Stupid Rubber Booties!!!!! grrrr.....
Old 06-25-2012, 07:39 AM
CaptainComet

Thought I could edit the last post to add link to my pay off story ...

Here is the link ....

Happy Day ...

You'll laugh ....
Old 06-25-2012, 07:54 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

I believe the shape/design of that rubber bootie as you referred to it is to allow water and small debris to get out but to help keep noxious fumes from the engine (especially if you have an exhaust leak) from getting into the cabin. Like a one-way valve. While it is a pain in the *** to keep clean, I would suggest atleast keeping an eye on the possible introduction of CO into the cabin... If the Misses complains of headaches while driving, I'd put that back in if it isn't damaged.

Sorry to hear about the water leak. Hopefully you've gotten all the water out and it won't cause permanent damage to the SJB.

Don
Old 06-25-2012, 08:49 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

sorry to hear about the leak and all the water in your car....hopefully you get it fixed ASAP since Debby doesn't appear to be going anywhere any time soon..
Old 06-25-2012, 06:59 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I really need to check that area myself. I have never cleanest it out.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

That's a common issue on the S197 and on the forum. It's the 2nd worse reason why we get water on the passenger side carpet.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:01 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

tropical storm debbie is starting to **** me off! I want to ride my motorcycle dammit!

I removed those rubber nipples.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
tropical storm debbie is starting to **** me off!....
Not to jack the OP's thread but tell me about it. The wife and I were driving back from Chicago on Saturday and decided to spend the night in an Atlanta burb instead of hitting Gainesville on 75 at about midnight and after an eye-redening 16 hours on the road. But glad to be back in Citrus County today.

OP, if it was just the clogged drains/nipples that caused the leak, consider yourself lucky. It could have been the TSB related leak that fries the SJB.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:27 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

6 days after I paid mine off, my mother died.

Glad yours didn't get totaled or anything worse happen. Just one of those things we all learn about on S197's
Old 06-25-2012, 11:30 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Originally Posted by CaptainComet
My wife takes off for work in her black 07 Mustang. We just paid off the car loan this last week.

Funny story .... see this post ....

Anyway, she gets 2 blocks from home and hears water sloshing around. Thinks she spilled her water bottle. Looks on the passenger side to see two inches of water in the front and rear footwells.

We live in Florida. We watched Tropical Storm Debi rain on us ... a lot.... 10 inches yesterday.

Seems that rubber bootie at the bottom of the cowl was caked up with dirt and debris, probably for a while. With all the rain, it finally backed up enough to overflow into the interior via the A/C.

One hour late for work,and a lot of vacuuming to at least start drying it out.

Rubber Bootie now ripped out.... and thrown into the box that also holds the other stupid rubber bootie, that was there to silence the air box (and choke off half the airflow to the filter).

Now if there is a leaf that falls into the cowl, it will get washed out through the much-larger oval hole. The rubber piece that was in there is funnel-shaped and probably designed with the idea to direct the water, but it also looks like it was specifically designed to trap foreign objects and jam up. I am sure that wasn't their intent, but not smart.

It is almost like owning a classic Mustang and having to watch out for cowl rot. At least this is plastic and not metal.

Stupid Rubber Booties!!!!! grrrr.....
Ha yes, I remember this feeling. Luckily I had been on the forums for awhile and knew where it was coming from, but its a ****ty feeling.
Hopefully yours doesn't get that musky smell. Mine did, but it prompted a full blown interior restoration, so I suppose I can't complain too much.

Congrats on paying off the car.

Quick Reply: Here's what happens the week you pay off your car loan.