Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade-in tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Default Trade-in tips?

I am just toying with this idea right now, but I may be in a situation where I need to trade my car in for something more economical soon. If so, are there any tips to get a better deal? I would be looking to trade my car straight up for another one. Also, KBB gives me a dealer trade-in of around 17k for a regular mustang with my options and mileage. Should I expect any more than that since it's a Roush?
Old 06-29-2012, 03:21 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Really depends on the market where you are at... Around here it seems trade in value for the S197 is pretty good compared to other regions... If there is a CARMAX near you, they'll do up a cash offer to buy it and that will give you an idea what other dealerships might offer in trade in.

Don
Old 06-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

There isn't one here but I can see if there is one nearby. Would it be worth it just to drive by the dealership and ask them what kind of a trade-in value they would give me? Or would they lowball me intentionally?
Old 06-29-2012, 03:26 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

In my experience, if the dealership thinks you are just testing the waters, they may not be put much effort into getting a trade in price... Worth a try if you aren't easily persuaded by sales people... If you aren't ready to buy, don't let them be pushy.

Don
Old 06-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

I'll probably ride by there tonight and see.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:41 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Take it from me based on a lot of experience Trade In = Loss of $$$. The only way you save any $ on a trade is based on sales tax - you only pay sales tax on the difference between your trade and the new vehicle (this can actually add up to $1K or more in savings depending on the difference and tax rate)

my experience with Carmax has always been negative - If you are using KBB as a reference - they have offered me (to buy outright) probably what KBB says is $ for your car at maybe "fair" condition value. Actually took a 2006 GT Premium to them about a month after purchase with 400 miles just to see and what they offered still makes me chuckle... Always a lowball - try different dealers for your best trade price - they will always try to make $.

You will get best $ if you sell privately and willing to do the work.

Always negotiate new car price without trade in. Then bring it in if needed.

If you do a "drive by" they will likely think you are not serious - which you aren't if you are just driving by and not give you anything serious back.

You can try Autotrader - they have a buy program like Carmax - you just fill out the info online and they will send you a written buy price + dealers near you that are in the program. Again - my experience has been negative (dealer visited gave me 1K + less than quote because after only 400 miles, they said needed to replace the tires) but I would recommend this over Carmax. Doesn't hurt to do both if you have time just to compare.

As far as Roush, Special Editions, Premium, options/packages, etc. they don't seem to give you much over base for these as reflected in KBB lowest trade in value.

Last edited by rogan01; 06-29-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Roush05
I am just toying with this idea right now, but I may be in a situation where I need to trade my car in for something more economical soon. If so, are there any tips to get a better deal? I would be looking to trade my car straight up for another one. Also, KBB gives me a dealer trade-in of around 17k for a regular mustang with my options and mileage. Should I expect any more than that since it's a Roush?
A Roush will not garner a higher trade in necessarily from a dealer because it's not as mainstream and it doesn't fit int a neat little 'Check-box' model.

I would sell a Roush privately, get way more for it that way. Otherwise it may get lumped in under a regular GT as a trade-in.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:55 PM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

go to edmunds.com and scroll over the used car tab and pick appraise my car. put your info in there and they give you what people around you are paying for cars with that options and expected trade in price and all that. i am not sure if this is true but i heard kbb lowballs you (which in my case they said my car was worth less than edmunds says) because they do it to help dealers or something. that could very well be a rumor but thats just what i heard. but its still another quote since you are looking it gives you trade in and private party and all that and breaks everything down. worth the few minutes imo
Old 06-29-2012, 03:58 PM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

you can get a REAL "trade-in offer" through autotrader.com , its free and good for a week or so and will give you a real hard number which is obviously lower than a private party sale but without the wait time, etc.
i think kbb is rather high in their estimates, try nada and edmonds too to get a range.
i didn't look into your particular details but generally mods are not adding to a cars value especially as trade-in, might be worth to reverse and sell separate.
obviously clean carfax, milage, no accidents, reasonable amount of prev owners will help.
i second on carmax too. mine however is also about 100mls away.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007bluestang
go to edmunds.com and scroll over the used car tab and pick appraise my car. put your info in there and they give you what people around you are paying for cars with that options and expected trade in price and all that. i am not sure if this is true but i heard kbb lowballs you (which in my case they said my car was worth less than edmunds says) because they do it to help dealers or something. that could very well be a rumor but thats just what i heard. but its still another quote since you are looking it gives you trade in and private party and all that and breaks everything down. worth the few minutes imo
KBB gave me 17k dealer and around 19k private, and edmunds says like 8k. What in the world?

Quick Reply: Trade-in tips?