Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new choice of tires just saved my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default My new choice of tires just saved my car

I put some Sumitumo HTR Z III summer tires on my car a month or so ago after ditching the stock pzeros. I could tell they gripped way better on dry pavement the day I got them. Then came the rain. I got on the gas a bit in the rain one day and was quite surprised the the tires didnt even skip where as the pzeros would have been spinning at half the throttle.

Fast foward to my drive home from atlanta tonight. Its fairly dark out but not night quite fully night and it just stopped raining so the roads were soaked. Im driving 50-55 in a 55 which is much more reasonable than I do during the day, dry times. A car decides to turn in front of me which wasnt a huge deal but I thought he should have waited as I was getting close. Then another car decides to go...
I put the brakes through the floor but I was already pretty close, especially with a wet road. Much to my surprise, the car slowed very quickly and very smoothly. The tires didnt squeal or slip a bit. Despite the great deceleration I was still on a collision course with the idiot on front of me so I swerved left around him and back right. Again, the tires stayed hooked and allowed me to S turn right around the guy, inches from his rear bumper. It was quite the scary experience and I'm certain had I had stock tires I would be filling out insurance info (or worse...) instead of driving the rest of the way home.

Long story short, HUGE +1 for the Sumituno HTR Z III summer tires I got from AmericanMuscle. They dont like to let go of the road no matter what!
On a similar note, the first thing I thought of once I stopped shaking was "damn, could have gotten a GT/CS front end out of that!"
Old 07-03-2012, 09:37 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Summer tires are all I'll run from now on. I'm using Yokohama S. Drives, but I'm sure the rubber compound is similar. I actually look forward to the rain now. Even with over 400rwhp and 4.10 gears I can accelerate in the rain like I have AWD. My Pzero all season were so bad even in the dry that they didn't squeal when they spun.

People sacrifice a lot of performance using a 60-80k all season radial.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Summer tires are all I'll run from now on. I'm using Yokohama S. Drives, but I'm sure the rubber compound is similar. I actually look forward to the rain now. Even with over 400rwhp and 4.10 gears I can accelerate in the rain like I have AWD. My Pzero all season were so bad even in the dry that they didn't squeal when they spun.

People sacrifice a lot of performance using a 60-80k all season radial.
Ive only broken these tires loose once and man did they scream. I used to spin my pzeros from a stop at 1k RPM if the road was wet
Old 07-03-2012, 11:35 PM
snicksnipa
1st Gear Member

I completely agree!!! the HTRZ3's are insane. The amount of grip they have for the price is the best price/performance ratio in the market. No questions asked.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:58 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Thanks for sharing this story. I'll definately take this into consideration as I'll soon need to replace my tires. Glad to hear you and your pony got away unharmed! Stay safe.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:44 AM
07graygt
2nd Gear Member

Glad to hear you are ok. It would have been a shame to hear a different story. Your car looks great. what size tires are you running, did you stick to the factory size?
Old 07-04-2012, 06:52 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Congrats on the imporved performance but I can't help wondering if you were following along too close, especially considering the conditions. But since I wasn't there, I'm simply playing devils advocate.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:53 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Congrats on the imporved performance but I can't help wondering if you were following along too close, especially considering the conditions. But since I wasn't there, I'm simply playing devils advocate.
he wasn't following anyone. People were pulling out from what I gathered.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

There were hardly any cars in behind me and no one in front for a while. Not sure what made the guy decide to turn in front of me. I got lucky in the fact that no one was behind me as I would have probably been rear ended for sure. And it was three lanes at the point with me in the middle so I had a lane to swerve into without getting hit. I was driving very conservatively at the time.

And the tires are stock size but they arent in the pic in my sig. The pic in my sig is actually a bit outdated and doesnt even show my roush spoiler that ive had for a while. I just like the pic
Old 07-04-2012, 09:45 AM
scott302
2nd Gear Member

Looks like you made a good choice. Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: My new choice of tires just saved my car