Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought my first Mustang. Did I get a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 PM
mar1ne

Default Just bought my first Mustang. Did I get a good deal?

Hey All,

Just bought my first Mustang last week. I already owned a 2011 Ford F150 that I bought brand new and have already put almost 17,000 miles on. I wanted a second car so that I could share the mileage a bit as I don't want so many miles on the truck. Plus I have been wanting a sports car for sometime. I chose this Mustang because I love Ford vehicles and I really just fell in love with it from the moment I saw it. I think it was mostly the color. Pretty much and impulse buy. My question is this.... Did I get a good deal? (I paid right at 20,000) Will this car last a long time? Below is the cars details....

2006 Mustang GT - 39,800 miles
8 Cylinder
4.6L Engine
300hp
5 speed manual transmission
All leather interior
power seats/windows
traction control
Sound Shaker 500 sound system (but I have already added a kenwood dvd deck)

So far I have loved this car. Drives like a dream. Fast and fun as all hell and she is a beauty to look at. Thanks in advance!

mar1ne
Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

Seems a little high for an '06, but it has extremely low miles. But congrats on the purchase
Old 07-10-2012, 09:22 PM
mar1ne

Originally Posted by sbradle4
Seems a little high for an '06, but it has extremely low miles. But congrats on the purchase
Yeah, I was shocked at the mileage. That is why I thought it may be a good deal. Like I said it was an impulse buy and didn't take the time to leave and investigate. If the car lasts a good 10 years I will happy and I guess then it would be worth it.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:28 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

First thought was that price seemed just a tad high, but with miles that low and the car looks in really really good shape from the pics you posted, you look to have hit a home run. That's a great color and someone correct me, but those don't look like stock wheels to me...

First mod you need to do and do this right away...is change those spark plugs to a one piece plug. There's plenty of posts around on how to do it but that model year had a problem with a 2 piece spark plug design that would snap off in the head...with those low of miles you probably will have no issues getting them out but I'd do that tomorrow or this weekend. Make sure you read up on how to swap those plugs too. You have to be careful on how you do it.

PS - they don't just break off in the head...they break off when they are being changed. Any ford dealership knows about this and can easily deal with it, but if you know your way around a socket, a little PB blaster and patience will rule the day and you can easily swap them out.

Here's a short video on how to do it. PB blaster worked for me (I had an 06 GT before) and the only other things I'd add to this video is before you pull a coil pack, blow off the top of the head with compressed air so you dont have a bunch of dirt that could get down into the motor and use just a little bit of the PB blaster because if you spray too much it can get in the cylinder and I don't remember the term but like hydro lock or somethin to the motor which will make it hard to get restarted.

Last edited by wcgman; 07-10-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:53 PM
mar1ne

Originally Posted by wcgman
First thought was that price seemed just a tad high, but with miles that low and the car looks in really really good shape from the pics you posted, you look to have hit a home run. That's a great color and someone correct me, but those don't look like stock wheels to me...

First mod you need to do and do this right away...is change those spark plugs to a one piece plug. There's plenty of posts around on how to do it but that model year had a problem with a 2 piece spark plug design that would snap off in the head...with those low of miles you probably will have no issues getting them out but I'd do that tomorrow or this weekend. Make sure you read up on how to swap those plugs too. You have to be careful on how you do it.

PS - they don't just break off in the head...they break off when they are being changed. Any ford dealership knows about this and can easily deal with it, but if you know your way around a socket, a little PB blaster and patience will rule the day and you can easily swap them out.

Here's a short video on how to do it. PB blaster worked for me (I had an 06 GT before) and the only other things I'd add to this video is before you pull a coil pack, blow off the top of the head with compressed air so you dont have a bunch of dirt that could get down into the motor and use just a little bit of the PB blaster because if you spray too much it can get in the cylinder and I don't remember the term but like hydro lock or somethin to the motor which will make it hard to get restarted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Wmd...feature=fvwrel
Thanks. Great advice!!
Old 07-10-2012, 10:40 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

You overpaid.

BUT.. price is what you pay. Value is what you get. If you love the car and have fun with it and can't wait to drive it then who cares what it cost.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:56 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I never really get why people ask this question after they've already bought the car. Isn't that kinda like sleeping with someone and then asking if the have herpes? You don't really enjoy the sex more retrospectively knowing they don't, but if they say they do, it kinda ruins it right?

Knowing you got a good deal on the car after the fact doesn't seem like it would make you love the car more, but paying too much and knowing it might make you love it less.

My two cents anyways. Congrats on the purchase . I too bought an 06 with low mileage (7k back in 2010).
Old 07-11-2012, 12:27 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

agreed. you already paid it. if you found one in good condition just drive it and enjoy it : )
Old 07-11-2012, 12:36 AM
merc64
1st Gear Member

If you're comfortable at the price you paid then don't worry. It's just like anything else you buy, if you look hard enough you'll find a better deal. Just focus on the smile you have when you drive and enjoy. My first mod would be a cai/tuner combo, really wakes these cars up and so easy to install.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:45 AM
mar1ne

Hahaha!! Thanks guys. You are all correct I have falling in love with this thing to the point I haven't even driven my truck since I bought it. I haven't loved a car like this since I bought my first car back in 1991.(1989 camrao). How can I put a price tag on that.

Quick Reply: Just bought my first Mustang. Did I get a good deal?