Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas Law

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 06:45 AM
griffojm

Ohio also requires a front plate. I have a couple of friends who opt to run without it. One guy gets pulled over quite frequently because of it, but the others have no issues. The guy getting pulled over often has a Camaro SS2/RS with dark window tint (another Ohio law!), so I'm guessing that his car is already attracting the police.

I would run without it at this point, as drilling holes in a new bumper seems crazy. But I would also hate to have a reason to get pulled over. The hassle would be a pain in the backside!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:42 AM
theczar
2nd Gear Member

i'm running without my front plate in Ohio. GHI Green, tinted windows, no front plate, and aftermarket exhaust...only one cop has give me a second look so far and that was because i gunned it going past him lol
Old 07-15-2012, 08:06 AM
RoushGT
1st Gear Member

I have been using this flip up bracket for a couple years now, it has worked great. I flip it down for cars shows and at the track, flip it up to drive. They make a motorized one as well, but the manual one works fine for me. You can see it if you look close at my signature photo, right front corner of car.

http://ecommerce.mossmotors.com/p/mu...%3Dsrc_results
Old 07-15-2012, 10:07 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

I lived in Arlington TX for 5 years and never installed the front plate and never had any problems. I wouldn't worry about it. Texas cops don't worry about BS like that.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Sethman29
1st Gear Member

I appreciate your time everybody i was sweatin the issue a little bit! Thanks for all the links i will hold on to them. No plate for now!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:56 AM
tony351

Welcome to Texas. You will get a fix it ticket eventually. I found out that you can put the plate inside the windshield and have asked a few cops and they all say it is OK to put it there. That is where I put mine and I thought it might be an option you might prefer.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:01 PM
pc_647f
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't sweat it. Just keep in mind it is a law, in case a LEO calls you on it, then worry about a bracket. Most self respecting cops won't bother you for just the plate and the plate alone.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

just run without it. so long as you aren't giving the cops a better reason to pull you over, it's not going to be a problem.

they'll issue you a fix-it ticket if you run into someone that really wants to crack down. unlikely, though. been running in my state without front plates for ten years now .. *knocks on wood*
Old 07-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tony351
Welcome to Texas. You will get a fix it ticket eventually. I found out that you can put the plate inside the windshield and have asked a few cops and they all say it is OK to put it there. That is where I put mine and I thought it might be an option you might prefer.
this could go terribly wrong in an accident.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Cory Cook

I took mine off the car when I got it home from the dealership. They had already mounted the bracket, but at least they're 2 small holes. I got the painted plugs to fill the holes but I'd have to drill a bigger hole to install them. I haven't heard anything about them changing the law for the '13 session, but who knows.

Quick Reply: Texas Law