Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas Law

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Sethman29
1st Gear Member

Default Texas Law

Just moved to Texas from Louisiana for work and things are different here lol. Got my drivers license switched over and my wife's vehicle registered. Well they hand me two license plates ( i dont know why i didnt notice before ) and i walk out of the place thinking #&#!!!!

I just bought my 2013 gt/cs and the LAST thing i want to do is drill holes in the front of my $40,000 sports car for some goofy *** license plate. Her 4-runner is a different story but on this brand new car!??

Who would install the plate? Who would run without it? seems to be a kind of 50/50 scenerio online on some of the boards that i looked up. I'll probably be hard headed and get a ticket for it.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:03 AM
kput
4th Gear Member

they make a bracket that will mount the plate under the bumper, so it's not visible.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:14 AM
Sethman29
1st Gear Member

yeah somebody was telling me about that, i'd never seen it i thought it would be something i'd have to fab up on my own. still though, the front end of my car is unique in my opinion as most people tend to think about their vehicle, license plate is going to take away from it i feel.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:17 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Run without a plate. It is a fix it ticket, and I have run it for almost 2 years and never got pulled for it. It will happen, it is only a matter of time, but usually cops turn a blind eye. Too many cars on the road, and if you are not doing anything out of the ordinary they'd rather ticket the speeder down the block.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:30 AM
JB04GT
2nd Gear Member

Run without it! Been running without one in California for 2 years and we have bike cops that drive through mall parking lots looking at plates!
Old 07-15-2012, 03:43 AM
DSargent09
2nd Gear Member

I heard that when the texas legislator met this jan... 2012 they forgot to reenact the part of the law that required it, and can't fix it until 2014.... could be wrong but I didn't put my plate on the front.... I removed the bracket.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:12 AM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Leave it off. Mine came with the front plate, but I haven't had a front plate on my truck in years.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:47 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

I had a Craig's Custom Mustang Bracket on my 2005 and it worked great. The reason I couldn't get it for my 2012 is because the dealership already had the license plate brackets on the front of ALL their cars on the lot, so no sense of not running them since the holes were already in the bumper cover before I ever bought her... My 05 came from out of state, so there were no holes in her.

Don
Old 07-15-2012, 06:29 AM
Kevs_4.6
1st Gear Member

First of all, WELCOME TO TX!!!!

I have ran without a front license plate for 10+ years on various cars in the DFW area and have never been given a ticket for not having a plate...going to fast now that is a different story ;-)
Old 07-15-2012, 06:42 AM
GT50GO
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
I had a Craig's Custom Mustang Bracket on my 2005 and it worked great. The reason I couldn't get it for my 2012 is because the dealership already had the license plate brackets on the front of ALL their cars on the lot, so no sense of not running them since the holes were already in the bumper cover before I ever bought her... My 05 came from out of state, so there were no holes in her.

Don
I'm using the bracket mentioned above (Craigs). He may not have the 2013 bracket on his website but email him, it's available. The bracket is great and can be removed in minutes.
I refuse to put holes in mine and my plan was to run with no plate here in the Houston area, but with my experience on my other car is you will get pulled over. While the two times I was pulled over on the other car (before I gave in and put plates on the front) they were always warnings but it's just gives them a excuse to check you out. I'm not a big fan of getting pulled over for whatever reason.

Quick Reply: Texas Law