Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 04:33 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I agree the mileage seems high, but I love my 2010 (even though I'm trading it for a better stang!) and have zero complaints.

You will love the car.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Amanda Hutchison

I don't know how to drive a manual and have no guys around here willing to let me try. Really sucks because it's something I know I should know how to do. I really do appreciate all of your help and advice. I know i'm going to take my time looking for one. I do know without a doubt that I want a Mustang whether it be the newer more powerful or the older ones like the 2010 without as much power.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:06 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Amanda Hutchison
I don't know how to drive a manual and have no guys around here willing to let me try. Really sucks because it's something I know I should know how to do. I really do appreciate all of your help and advice. I know i'm going to take my time looking for one. I do know without a doubt that I want a Mustang whether it be the newer more powerful or the older ones like the 2010 without as much power.
The power is great, trust me! nothing like getting thrown back in your seat in the stang. Anyways, 50k on a 2010 is alot, but if it was well taken care of, its not a big deal. I was in the same situation, mine is a 2010 gt and when i got it (2 months ago) it just clicked 45k miles. Now its at about 45,700. I try to only drive it short distances (enough to show it off) and come home. Just enough to get my fix. long story short, if you take care of your car, it will last you many many years. good luck
Old 07-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If the previous owner maintained the vehicle properly, you should easily go beyond 100k miles. I'm a long-time multiple Toyota owner and have had my first 5 Yotas accumulate over 1,000,000 miles so I'm familiar with reliable vehicles. I doubt my Stang will be anywhere NEAR as trouble free but the domestics are better than they used to be so I'd say you should have 100k miles more out of her. Of course, a lot has to do with past history plus how YOU drive it and where. Best of luck and I know you'll have a big smile on your face. The S197's are a symbol of american muscle and iron.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:54 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

This is going to sound presumptuous, but if you are seriously interested in learning to drive stick, there's gotta be a MF member that is close to you that would be willing to help teach you, even if it's on their beater car/truck... Could help expose you to the world of Mustangs too...

Don
Old 07-16-2012, 08:56 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Dont worry about knowing how to drive a manual...there's nothing wrong with an automatic. Its a matter of personal preference and if you really wanted to know how to drive it, Im sure you could find a volunteer.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Amanda Hutchison
I guess it all depends on how adventurous you are and if you want the sporty feeling of a stick shift. Lots of people want familiarity and comfort of automatic, no extra work. When getting my last car, a 3000GT, I said no way will I get a base automatic (its the slow version of the slow version), so we finally found a base manual. I was only 17 years old and knew manuals were far more fun after riding in a friend's manual 3000GT. It makes a sports car, a sports car. It makes an econobox fun to drive, etc.

My dad taught me on some 20 year old beater truck in a parking lot at first, I only stalled it maybe 5 times total. I'd say a total of 3 hours of practice and I was driving my 3000 down the road, by myself, scared out of my pants. After a week of driving I was getting very comfortable, rolling backwards on hills was the only scary thing the first month. Then it all becomes like breathing.

I wonder if you could rent a car with a manual (if they even rent those out) and have someone teach you? I guess if you don't have a family member or close friend with a stick shift who let you beat on it a few times, it might be difficult. Having someone show you, then you trying, isn't very difficult. I just saw that you're a woman, i've met like 2 females in my life who drive stick shifts, lol.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:20 AM
modru2004
2nd Gear Member

it took me 15 minutes in a parking lot to learn to drive my first manual car a 2003 tiburon gt v6 with a 6 speed manual gearbox.

its really not that difficult. for a couple of weeks you will have to really think about what your doing but after that it becomes automatic.

you will stall. its embarrassing. but everyones done it at some point.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:16 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

To be honest (and not trying to sound like I'm bragging) but sometimes we just have to jump in and try...

When I was 19, I took my stupid butt down to the Ford dealership and fell in love with a (gasp) 1993 Ford Ranger Ext Cab... I told the salesperson that I wanted to take it for a test drive. He came back with the keys and took my license to make a copy... I got in while I waited for him to return and realized it was a stick... I'd never driven one and my dad never showed me... And I was by myself, so no one else to help... Crap... So I played with the clutch and shifter to see how they felt while I waited.

Well, the salesguy comes back and says to me "see you when you get back..." He let me drive off with it by myself and I learned right then and there. No lie. I did end up at a stop sign on a hill and stalled it a couple times before I figured it out... Didn't do any damage and went back the next day with my dad to buy it... That truck was still running as of 5 years ago the last time I saw my dad (who I gave it to after running off to join the USAF).

Just try it and see.

Don
Old 07-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I learned to drive stick in the same way... I just... had to. So I did. I don't recall having a big problem likely because my parents always had manual transmissions when I was a kid, and I always watched them driving.

I actually think that everyone should be required to learn how to drive a manual in order to get a driver's license. I view it as sort of a safety thing. What if you're with a family member or friend driving their manual car and they have a medical emergency. You going to stand there calling 911 waiting for someone else to come pick them up rather than driving them to the nearest hospital yourself immediately? Sure, this may be only 1 unlikely case, but I can think of many cases where you might unexpectedly need to move a vehicle, and theres some chance it might be a stick...

We handed our 17 year old daughter a manual Jeep Wrangler. She complained about it for the first week, and now drives it like a pro. I wouldn't doubt she'd even consider buying a manual in the future... or at least, I don't think it would deter her. She now has that life skill and won't ever forget it.

Quick Reply: 2010 Mustang GT