Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what is Mustang competition?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:51 PM
MnemonicGhost
1st Gear Member

Default So what is Mustang competition?

And this is a broad question, as there are many factors to judge. Price? Bang for Buck? Pure speed and horsepower? Handling or trackability? Or what other vehicle did you consider before settling on the mustang?

Me: I've been a Ford guy for almost 20 years, so it was kind of a given, but I did honestly look around. Camaro is an obvious competitor, as is the challenger. Then I saw the 370z, which honestly had me tempted. I've also see some websites mention the Hyundai genesis coupe, and the new scion FRS. Some may even see a resemblence between the FRS and the 2015 Mustang renderings....

I truly think you do need to weigh in all options for a good educated decision, and was wondering if I missed any other good contenders.

But I am sticking with the Mustang. It's got the looks, the power, the price, and the practicality for my needs. The entire package.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Hinojosa
2nd Gear Member

camaros and challengers?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:33 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

dude.. the Mustang has competition? (in its class) When did that happen?
Old 08-03-2012, 12:29 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

In 2008, it was the look & price. There was no camaro or challenger and everything else looked the same. Power & performance you can pretty much add to anything.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:05 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MnemonicGhost
And this is a broad question, as there are many factors to judge. Price? Bang for Buck? Pure speed and horsepower? Handling or trackability? Or what other vehicle did you consider before settling on the mustang?

Me: I've been a Ford guy for almost 20 years, so it was kind of a given, but I did honestly look around. Camaro is an obvious competitor, as is the challenger. Then I saw the 370z, which honestly had me tempted. I've also see some websites mention the Hyundai genesis coupe, and the new scion FRS. Some may even see a resemblence between the FRS and the 2015 Mustang renderings....

I truly think you do need to weigh in all options for a good educated decision, and was wondering if I missed any other good contenders.

But I am sticking with the Mustang. It's got the looks, the power, the price, and the practicality for my needs. The entire package.
I didn't settle for ****. I made an educated purchase for the better vehicle
Old 08-03-2012, 03:07 AM
bigD1515
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
+10000 ^
Old 08-03-2012, 05:22 AM
theczar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
Agreed
Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 AM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

BMW 1-series, Subaru WRX & STI...basically anything semi-performance oriented in the 27-37k price range is what I would consider a "competitor".
Old 08-03-2012, 09:24 AM
mcate
2nd Gear Member

I'm not into Jap performance cars, nor am I into German or other imports. If you're comparing, it should be against other front engine, rear drive, V8 cars. Camaro, Challenger, Charger. Corvettes, to me, are in a different category.
I was in an auto parts store the other day, & one of the guys asked me if I'm one of those people who thinks that Mustangs are the only performance cars out there? I said, "Oh, hell no. Definitely not the ONLY performance car. The BEST? Yes. But not the only."
Old 08-03-2012, 12:04 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
In 2008, it was the look & price. There was no camaro or challenger and everything else looked the same. Power & performance you can pretty much add to anything.
I could pretty much say the same. My list of requirements was:

V8
Manual transmission
American made
Rear drive
$30K price range
There may have been one or two more, but those are the biggies.

Frank

Quick Reply: So what is Mustang competition?