Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terrible Night Last Night...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Default Terrible Night Last Night...

Well, this is my first accident. I can't tell you how sick I am feeling right now. I took a left turn last light a little too fast and the back slid out from under me. I then overcorrected and ran into a pole. Police showed up and I got a $98 ticket for fixed object collision. Thank God I have full coverage. I almost switched to liability a few weeks ago. Some questions: I'll need to get the hood and front bumper replaced (obviously), would I be able to have the body shop order from a different source than the factory? Carbon fiber hoods run for about $700 while the OEM go for $1300. Same with the bumper. Would I be able to at least have something good come out of this? And lastly, please don't dog on me about this. I know I'm an idiot and don't need to be reminded.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:21 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

$hit happens, glad to hear you're ok. good luck with the repairs!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:32 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Sucks... glad you are ok.

You should be able to work with the repair shop on your replacement items - as long as they come in less than your factory replacements...
Old 08-08-2012, 12:33 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Just curious, how fast were you going and what was the speed limit?

When I got into my accident, I went back and forth for a few days with my insurance adjuster. He said that my company usually doesn't let people get aftermarket parts. When I told him the price difference fpr a stock/aftermarket hood, he sounded a little surprised. I got a Cervini hood, and the price difference was taken out of my deductible.

I tried the same thing with the front bumper, but the one that I wanted was more expensive than an OEM one. I would call your adjuster and ask him. Worst he can do is say "no".
Old 08-08-2012, 12:37 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Did your hood peel? looks like primer?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007StangV6
Just curious, how fast were you going and what was the speed limit?

When I got into my accident, I went back and forth for a few days with my insurance adjuster. He said that my company usually doesn't let people get aftermarket parts. When I told him the price difference fpr a stock/aftermarket hood, he sounded a little surprised. I got a Cervini hood, and the price difference was taken out of my deductible.

I tried the same thing with the front bumper, but the one that I wanted was more expensive than an OEM one. I would call your adjuster and ask him. Worst he can do is say "no".
I wasn't going to fast. I came to complete stop at a stop sign and accelerated too fast. If you want to see the intersection, look it up on Google Maps street view. It's by 180th and Center in Omaha, NE. I was going North on 179th turning left onto Arbor st the first pole on Arbor from 179th on the left is the pole I hit.

And if I get this right, if I were to get the carbon fiber hood vs the OEM hood and the difference was what I stated, I could get out of paying my $500 deductible?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2cokeman
Did your hood peel? looks like primer?
Yes. So did my right fender.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:51 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stuart McWilliams
I wasn't going to fast. I came to complete stop at a stop sign and accelerated too fast. If you want to see the intersection, look it up on Google Maps street view. It's by 180th and Center in Omaha, NE. I was going North on 179th turning left onto Arbor st the first pole on Arbor from 179th on the left is the pole I hit.

And if I get this right, if I were to get the carbon fiber hood vs the OEM hood and the difference was what I stated, I could get out of paying my $500 deductible?
That's how my situation worked. I didn't order a CF hood though. Ordered a primed hood and had the shop paint match it with the rest of the car. My deductible came down somewhere around $200. It all depends on how your insurance/adjuster is.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Stuart McWilliams
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007StangV6
That's how my situation worked. I didn't order a CF hood though. Ordered a primed hood and had the shop paint match it with the rest of the car. My deductible came down somewhere around $200. It all depends on how your insurance/adjuster is.
Wow, that sounds like really good news for me! Hopefully my insurance company will work the same. Who do you have insurance with? I'm with GEICO and they seem pretty good at handling situations like this. And the reason I chose CF is (besides would be nicer) the shop wouldn't have to paint it. I'm assuming the hoods come from the factory painted? I could very well be wrong about this and was just a guess, but if not, that would be another savings. It sounds like the savings would be over $500, I'm guessing not, but there isn't a possiblity I would get money back is there? I'm seriously doubting it but I could see if you chose a cheaper part the insurance company would let you pocket the change.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:05 PM
xkape
4th Gear Member

I can't tell from the pic but it sort of looks like your radiator is a bit crooked. If the pole got to that, what did it do behind it? Geico is good man, that's who I have.. they totalled my car from hitting a street sign. The whole process was so painless it was almost like they needed me instead of the other way around.

Quick Reply: Terrible Night Last Night...