Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boss 302 crank and piston swap into coyote

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Phansm72
2nd Gear Member

Default Boss 302 crank and piston swap into coyote

So from what Im reading , It is a feasable idea to swap in the rods, pistons and crank from a boss302 into a coyote. I have noticed the #8 cylinder missfire reported to the Coyotes , but havent noticed any reports on Boss 302s. I have read that they cap off the piston squirters on the Boss 302s , is that something I need to do on my coyote block if I go this route? Im building a Coyote with 3800 miles on it that spun a bearing, I have already ordered a new coyote crank , but if I can increase durability by upgrading to the Boss goodies Im thinking I need to go this route. Any knowledge on this course ? Input appreciated.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Phansm72
2nd Gear Member

Also I priced the Boss piston and rod set on American Muscle and it seems like a sweet deal for $845 with the discount, for a whole set.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

The Boss internals would be an upgrade but aren't truly 'forged' like aftermarket forged rods and pistons you may buy are. One of the main reasons #8 pops is because of an aggressive tune and this problem I believe was fixed after 2011 and the only reason it seems like so many are going is because a lot of people post about it, if everyone's the didn't pop posted you wouldn't be worried about it.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Phansm72
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Warpig12354
The Boss internals would be an upgrade but aren't truly 'forged' like aftermarket forged rods and pistons you may buy are. One of the main reasons #8 pops is because of an aggressive tune and this problem I believe was fixed after 2011 and the only reason it seems like so many are going is because a lot of people post about it, if everyone's the didn't pop posted you wouldn't be worried about it.
The motor I bought only had 3800 miles on it and it went, no tune , bone stock, this is the 2nd one this dealership has done under warranty, same thing. Why does ford advertise these parts to be forged if they arent?
Old 08-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Phansm72
2nd Gear Member

I ordered my Boss 302 crank , rods , pistons , rod bearings and main bearings for my Coyote today. Pics as I go.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

Forged just refers to the way they were made.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:29 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

The starting material condition dictates the strength that a particular piston, rod, or crankshaft can have.

Pistons can be cast, centrifugally cast, cast from a hypereutectic alloy, or cast and hot isostatic pressed, finally forged from wrought material. The order listed is in increasing ultimate tensile strength. Also cast pistons yield very slightly before they fracture, compared to wrought pistons, which can yield well before they catastropically fail.

Connecting rods can be cast, forged from powder metal, forged from wrought metal, and forged into H and I beam configurations. Again, forging from powder metal preforms is less expensive than forging from wrought steel or aluminum or titanium, and also has less ultimate or yield strength. Coyote and V6 connecting rods are forged from powder metal, and as such have lower mechanical properties than wrought steel which is forged into a connecting rod. It is best to purchase forged components made from wrought product, especially if you will be exerting near yield strength forces on these components (7800 RPM and above, typically).
Old 08-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Phansm72
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by freyes
The starting material condition dictates the strength that a particular piston, rod, or crankshaft can have.

Pistons can be cast, centrifugally cast, cast from a hypereutectic alloy, or cast and hot isostatic pressed, finally forged from wrought material. The order listed is in increasing ultimate tensile strength. Also cast pistons yield very slightly before they fracture, compared to wrought pistons, which can yield well before they catastropically fail.

Connecting rods can be cast, forged from powder metal, forged from wrought metal, and forged into H and I beam configurations. Again, forging from powder metal preforms is less expensive than forging from wrought steel or aluminum or titanium, and also has less ultimate or yield strength. Coyote and V6 connecting rods are forged from powder metal, and as such have lower mechanical properties than wrought steel which is forged into a connecting rod. It is best to purchase forged components made from wrought product, especially if you will be exerting near yield strength forces on these components (7800 RPM and above, typically).
Nice!
Old 08-15-2012, 06:30 AM
FastBreak
1st Gear Member

I think you'll find you don't need forged internals unless you're planning on over-revving or going to some form of forced induction or nitrous.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:24 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Phansm72
So from what Im reading , It is a feasable idea to swap in the rods, pistons and crank from a boss302 into a coyote. I have noticed the #8 cylinder missfire reported to the Coyotes , but havent noticed any reports on Boss 302s. I have read that they cap off the piston squirters on the Boss 302s , is that something I need to do on my coyote block if I go this route? Im building a Coyote with 3800 miles on it that spun a bearing, I have already ordered a new coyote crank , but if I can increase durability by upgrading to the Boss goodies Im thinking I need to go this route. Any knowledge on this course ? Input appreciated.
Phansm72,

Boss forged rotating assemblies are sick! I'm looking forward to pics along the way of your build up. Are you planning on running some nitrous or forced induction in the near future? Another AM employee made 700hp on his '12 Boss 302 with a 2.9L whipple! Not too bad for OEM Ford components!

Shane

Quick Reply: Boss 302 crank and piston swap into coyote