Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

plans for the future

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Seraphim118
1st Gear Member

Default plans for the future

First off I want to say that my car is payed off, and a trade in is not something I really want to do. I love my body style stang and I would like to keep it. I am also very attached to this car, because it is the first car I have paid for with my own funds.

However, with the new stangs out with significantly more hp, I feel that my car is getting left behind in the power department. A jlt intake and bama tune are helping at the moment, but I know there is more out there.

So here are the basic options I see for where I want to be.
1. F/i. Mainly an x-charger but for the 6,000$ is it worthwhile over the other options?
2. A 4.6 3v swap. Many have done this one. I would have a better platform for future modding. I.E. Possibly a b302 build.
3. 5.4 3v swap. Ive also seen this one done. What does this offer over a 4.6? I realize more displacement, but is there any more potential there?
4. 5.4 4v swap. Either from a navi or gt500. Obviously the gt500 is the most desireable, but it is also the more costly option.

Given that any of these options will take a while to complete(I'm 21 and in college) which one would you guys suggest is the best for moving forward and keeping MY car.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:27 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Your car looks great man. I would just get new wheels/tires, lower it, and not worry about being slower than the newer cars running around. You'll have a reliable car that will keep you out of trouble.. besides, as long as it looks fast chicks won't know the difference. But for later on down the road, my favorite build would consist of a Boss 302 5.0 4v crate motor mated to a tr6060 with a turbo setup.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Seraphim118
1st Gear Member

Rims are my next mod for sure. The 5.0 is an interesting option, but I was under the impression that there were a few things, steering and guages for example, that were significant obstacles with that swap. That is another good option for me to look into though. Thanks for the compliments, and Roll Tide

Last edited by Seraphim118; 08-17-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:53 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Your car looks really good! Honestly, as a college student myself (turned 22 yesterday), I say give the V6 some decent speed and good looks. Maybe you should consider some gears next if you want to go a little faster. I guess it's safe to assume that you have a job aside from going to school. I don't think you should do something big like an engine swap, especially cuz you need something reliable to get you to work, school, and home. Just wait til the 4.0 says no more and then do the swap. Or wait til you earn your degree and when you get your career started, save up for a GT. Or if you want bigger, save up for a GT500. My point is, be happy with your V6.

Last edited by Antonio323; 08-17-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:07 AM
Seraphim118
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Antonio323
Your car looks really good! Honestly, as a college student myself (turned 22 yesterday), I say give the V6 some decent speed and good looks. Maybe you should consider some gears next if you want to go a little faster. I guess it's safe to assume that you have a job aside from going to school. I don't think you should do something big like an engine swap, especially cuz you need something reliable to get you to work, school, and home. Just wait til the 4.0 says no more and then do the swap. Or wait til you earn your degree and when you get your career started, save up for a GT. Or if you want bigger, save up for a GT500. My point is, be happy with your V6.
Yea I for shure understand where you are coming from. This is more of a down the road type thing like you said anyway. The only one I would do anytime soon is if I decided to go with the x-charger, because of its reliability. I'm thinking more in the timeframe of either after I finish school, or when the 4.0 kicks the bucket.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:52 AM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

Relax, take a deep breath, and enjoy tooling around town in a sweet looking Stang, THAT IS PAID OFF!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
Your car looks great man. I would just get new wheels/tires, lower it, and not worry about being slower than the newer cars running around. You'll have a reliable car that will keep you out of trouble.. besides, as long as it looks fast chicks won't know the difference. But for later on down the road, my favorite build would consist of a Boss 302 5.0 4v crate motor mated to a tr6060 with a turbo setup.
^ this
Old 08-18-2012, 10:13 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

A GT500 swap is a lot of juice if your suspension is still pretty stock. I personally think you should not worry about it right now, get through school and save up the money you'd spend on FI or a swap and after you get your first real job, put that down on a new GT or a gently used GT500 and keep your 08 as a DD. Being your first mustang I guarantee you'll regret getting rid of it if you trade it off. I know I did. I cry myself to sleep in my GT500 every night.

Seriously - you will regret trading or selling it. I totalled out my 97v6 and my wife and I always missed it. We ended up buying one over the net in May and we're happy with it...so just hang onto it
Old 08-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Newatthis
1st Gear Member

You have a great looking ride! Man, i couldn't even afford a beater at your age let alone a hot car like that.

I say keep it, enjoy, make it look even better, appreciate it, and don't get into debts, while finishing college. Once you get that first good steady professional job, you should then consider the options.

I didn't get my first mustang til i was 44...damn lol. Too many other priorities until now to get one (minivans, sedan, house, mortgage etc)
Old 08-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
A GT500 swap is a lot of juice if your suspension is still pretty stock. I personally think you should not worry about it right now, get through school and save up the money you'd spend on FI or a swap and after you get your first real job, put that down on a new GT or a gently used GT500 and keep your 08 as a DD. Being your first mustang I guarantee you'll regret getting rid of it if you trade it off. I know I did. I cry myself to sleep in my GT500 every night.

Seriously - you will regret trading or selling it. I totalled out my 97v6 and my wife and I always missed it. We ended up buying one over the net in May and we're happy with it...so just hang onto it
I know this is for OP, but this really hit me. I really love my V6 Mustang and I was thinking of possibly trading it in later on in the future. I may not have modded it much yet, but I feel it would be really tough to get rid of it now. This will stick with me from now on!

Quick Reply: plans for the future