Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car doesnt start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 03:49 PM
light speed
1st Gear Member

its possible i didnt jump start it correctly. ill try again later.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:06 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Im with Nuke. Original battery has probably kicked the bucket.

A bad starter isnt going to mess up a radio ever.

Symptoms are indicative of not enough power to keep the settings in the head unit alive. Granted that a jump should start the car, but if it doesnt, I'd just replace that battery since it's already 5 years old (actually 6 since 07 model year came out in 2006) and then have the alternator tested just to be sure. I have had batteries that even with a jump, they wouldnt start the car. Voila, change the battery, and you're golden.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:10 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by light speed
its possible i didnt jump start it correctly. ill try again later.
If you've got the circuit completed correctly, you should hear once youve attached the last cable a slight variation in the donor vehicles' RPM as it tries to make up for the drain. Let it sit for a little bit (I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes) before you try to crank your car. Sometimes there's enough to do it instantly and sometimes it needs to charge the bad battery a little bit first.

The sound you hear from the starter is very very likely not enough power for it to actually turn the flywheel to get things rotating. Every starter I've had go bad it sounds like a very fast wind up toy almost. Fast clicking is not enough juice to get it to turn the flywheel.

Except one time when the flywheel was just worn on a pickup I had. That was a bad day.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:47 PM
fedfireman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
If you've got the circuit completed correctly, you should hear once youve attached the last cable a slight variation in the donor vehicles' RPM as it tries to make up for the drain. Let it sit for a little bit (I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes) before you try to crank your car. Sometimes there's enough to do it instantly and sometimes it needs to charge the bad battery a little bit first.

The sound you hear from the starter is very very likely not enough power for it to actually turn the flywheel to get things rotating. Every starter I've had go bad it sounds like a very fast wind up toy almost. Fast clicking is not enough juice to get it to turn the flywheel.

Except one time when the flywheel was just worn on a pickup I had. That was a bad day.
Aha! see I was assuming he meant he heard one clunk as he turned the key. ie. a seized starter motor. If its constant clicking like a slow taser then yes, everyone else here is probably spot on.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

+1 This was not generally true many years ago, but with today's batteries, that's exactly right.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

If the radio & clock reset, then its an electrical problem and NOT the starter. I'm with Nuke, its probably a bad battery. If the battery can't keep the clock & radio settings, its not going to turn over the engine, even if its jumped.

The problem with replacing the battery after its completely gone is, it puts an extra load on the alternator before it goes, leading to reduced alternator life.

Last edited by Joenpb; 08-18-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:16 PM
light speed
1st Gear Member

yea it sounded like a wind up toy kind of! perfectly described. Ill do this as soon as i can.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Jumpering the car isn't rocket science. The alternator maintains the battery, it doesn't recharge it per say, hence battery failures. You drove the car last night with the headlights on, got home (luckily), the next morning the clock & radio reset, and the car wouldn't start. 99% its a bad battery.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:26 PM
light speed
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joenpb
Jumpering the car isn't rocket science. The alternator maintains the battery, it doesn't recharge it per say, hence battery failures. You drove the car last night with the headlights on, got home (luckily), the next morning the clock & radio reset, and the car wouldn't start. 99% its a bad battery.
so what youre saying is you believe a jump start probably wouldnt do anything since the battery is toast?
Old 08-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Exactly, once a battery is toast, jumping the car won't work.

Quick Reply: Car doesnt start?