Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack thread.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

This doesn't strike me as being too safe, lol.. but as long as it works I guess. I didn't want to spend too much money, but at the same time I didn't want something ultra cheap. The Craftsman 2 1/4, I'm hoping will complete its task. I thought about getting Rhino Ramps, but that only seems logical for things like Oil changes.

I went with the jack/stand combination because I can not only do oil changes, but I can also do my upcoming brake job on them. The jack only needs to get the car onto the stands, and then off the stands so I think the one I ordered will do its job.

Still house hunting from my recent move and my ideal purchase would be having a lift in the garage... hence why I wanted something light duty till that time comes.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:56 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace

This doesn't strike me as being too safe, lol.. but as long as it works I guess. I didn't want to spend too much money, but at the same time I didn't want something ultra cheap. The Craftsman 2 1/4, I'm hoping will complete its task. I thought about getting Rhino Ramps, but that only seems logical for things like Oil changes.

I went with the jack/stand combination because I can not only do oil changes, but I can also do my upcoming brake job on them. The jack only needs to get the car onto the stands, and then off the stands so I think the one I ordered will do its job.

Still house hunting from my recent move and my ideal purchase would be having a lift in the garage... hence why I wanted something light duty till that time comes.
Heh, I did a header install on Rhino Ramps. Just oil changes...yeah ok

No really though, I'll agree with everyone else about the harbor freight jacks. I've got the 2 1/2 ton aluminum one. It's great. One of the main reasons I bought it was for the rubber pad. I feel much better jacking up from the diff with the friction from the pad. Can't beat the price either.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:04 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

I had three HF light weight Aluminum jacks. Two leaked oil and failed within 4 years, the other makes loud scary noises when lifting a vehicle so I don't use it anymore. A few weeks ago I bought a heavy 3.25 Ton Arcan Jack from Costco for $105 ... it works okay ... kind of slow while lifting but not bad overall.

I use these home made wood ramps most of the time when the wheels don't have to come off.

Last edited by 6-Speed; 08-27-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:03 AM
danman0469
2nd Gear Member

I just picked up a low profile 2.5 ton heavy duty jack from harbor frieght last week. This thing is sick, goes feom 2.5 inches up to 20 inches. It will literally go under anything, my buddy has a slammed g35 with a body kit, it went under it with no problem. It just happened to be on sale for $80 when i went to get one. It was normally 120 i think. As far as longevity, not sure yet, but it feels super solid.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:49 AM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BleedinBlue
I've been using the same "MVP" brand floor jack for years, and it was handed down to me from my father. I bet the damned thing is 20+ years old, and a cheapie to boot. It's served me well, but is starting to leak fluid. The rapid lift jacks harbor freight always has on sale are starting to catch my eye.
I got my low profile jack from Harbor Freight, works great.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:09 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

I'm on my second low-pro aluminum jack from HFT too... My first stopped working after 3 months and I took it in to exchange it for this one I have now... It never leaked, nothing... Just failed to go up anymore... They almost wouldn't exchange it and wsa trying to get me to send it off AT MY EXPENSE to the manufacturer for repair... I ended up convincing the store manager that I would buy their extended replacement protection if he let me exchange it in the store and he relented... While this second one seems to work, I find I use my Gorilla Ramps more than before and now I'm considering purchasing a better quality/brand of jack... even if it will cost more for me in the end.

Don
Old 08-28-2012, 12:06 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I have a Michelin chinese-made jack that I bought at sam's club several years ago (they don't sell them anymore). I think it's a 3 ton. It's worked pretty well for me since I've had it and doesn't leak, but it makes a lot of noise when lifting the car so I kinda wonder if it's gonna crap out eventually. It doesn't have any bleed down though...I've been pretty happy with it. Sam's only carries the Torin Big Red jacks now, which look similar but have some really hokey looking welds on them.

Also...I had one of the Craftsman 2 1/4 ton trolley jacks...they are pretty cheaply made and I really only relied on it for LIGHT lifting. As in not the primary jack for lifting a vehicle. They'll barely lift my car.

If my Michelin jack ever dies I'll probaby get something GOOD for once instead of another one of these chinese jacks, if that's even possible.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
Also...I had one of the Craftsman 2 1/4 ton trolley jacks...they are pretty cheaply made and I really only relied on it for LIGHT lifting. As in not the primary jack for lifting a vehicle. They'll barely lift my car.
Hm, where were you jacking the car up from? Only reason I ask is because this (or similar) is the same Jack i've got coming and I thought it would do the job fine. I don't think it would lift the pumpkin up very high, but from the body seams I thought it might benefit from?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:04 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

This was lifting from one of the chassis jacking pads right behind the front wheels, if I recall correctly. OK, I shouldn't say it barely lifted the car- it does seem to lift it decently, but it doesn't lift it very HIGH. I had a hard time squeezing under the car even at the highest it would go.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Fyi, I used the craftsman 2 1/4 trolley jack today. It takes a while to jack up, I used the body seams and it seemed to work alright.