Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch break in

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

It's a myth in a modern car, just drive it like you normally would.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:38 AM
sharony1994
2nd Gear Member

i drove about 50 miles today 20 of them on the highway i didn't give it full throttle no hard take offs or launches. The car feels completely different this new clutch is on another world compared to the old 1.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT

What is a myth? Clutch break in?
WTF are you talking about?

I can tell you I know PLENTY of people that have put in new clutch assembly's that were rough on them first with burnouts and ruined them.

Driving it like you normally would depends on how you normally drive.
NO burn outs or high RPM take offs and its better to avoid high RPM shifts.

The modern clutch and flywheel still need break in and need to given time to be properly mated.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:07 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Clutch material, like brakes, need proper heat cycling during the break in period. Overheat a new clutch, and the material won't seat correctly.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:12 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke

I can tell you I know PLENTY of people that have put in new clutch assembly's that were rough on them first with burnouts and ruined them.
+1 In my younger life, I wrecked a couple of clutches being too aggressive with them too early.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:06 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Lmao theres soem bad information for ya there. Even it it was a myth to "new cars" that would be referring to a factory clutch in the first place.
Clutch break in is a relative matter, without proper break in your clutch can wear out prematurley, become grabbin and fail almost immediatly by slippage and warping friction material or developing hot spots. (been there done that over the years) I run clutches for 750 miles of "normal town driving" IE: no launches, no hard shifts, no burnouts, etc etc. For a spec clutch (which I run as well) I would defiantly go for atleast 500 miles before hammering it it you can't wait for 750. Keep in mind you want alot of town driving shifting miles, not just a highway trip.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Can anyone find in the manual for me from Ford that states you should break the clutch and brakes in when you take delivery of your car...

Thanks

ps, you won't find it.. Because it's a myth. I bought my car with something like 100 miles on it. Did Ford have guys do laps around the factory for a week, then reset the odometer before shipping me my car?

To the op, think about it, Ford doesn't say you need to break in a new clutch, so why listen to these turkeys?

I've had my clutch and trans rebuilt by a top mustang builder, I asked him what I should do, he just laughed. If your car is built right no need to worry.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:14 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Can anyone find in the manual for me from Ford that states you should break the clutch and brakes in when you take delivery of your car...

Thanks

ps, you won't find it.. Because it's a myth. I bought my car with something like 100 miles on it. Did Ford have guys do laps around the factory for a week, then reset the odometer before shipping me my car?

To the op, think about it, Ford doesn't say you need to break in a new clutch, so why listen to these turkeys?

I've had my clutch and trans rebuilt by a top mustang builder, I asked him what I should do, he just laughed. If your car is built right no need to worry.
I guess thats why aftermarket clutch makers have a REQUIRED break in for their clutches......................
Old 08-30-2012, 12:16 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycKMTmpm12gCenterforce must not know what their talking about either.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

duplicate post

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-30-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: clutch break in