Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance mods for new Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 02:01 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
The ENTIRE cat back is different from the stock setup.
Every single pipe is different. Even the pipe that goes over the axle.
The cat back would not even fit to the shorty pipe.

I found this out the hard way.
It would not work.
when i threw on my exhaust i have now i knew i was going with the Borla ATAK cat back, i just wanted to decide between BBK long tubes and a shorty X, and BBK shorty's with regular X pipe but either way the Borla cat back would have fit. why is this then?
Old 08-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

If that is the case then Borla has changed the way they make them.

Entirely possible.

I know with Magnaflow that was NOT the case for me.
And I know with many others it is the case too.
I was S out of luck.

Sounds like he would have to actually check with Flowmaster.
I wouldn't waste my time, money, or risk the chance of the cat back having to be tossed later though.
Especially since it really won't do anything for him anyways.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 08-28-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:04 PM
mygtcs

Thanks, for the replies. I guess i have some research to do before I decide but you have defenately gave me some things to think about. Does the Boss intake void the warranty or is it just not worth the $$?
Old 08-28-2012, 02:52 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygtcs
Thanks, for the replies. I guess i have some research to do before I decide but you have defenately gave me some things to think about. Does the Boss intake void the warranty or is it just not worth the $$?
im pretty sure any mod to the engine will, especially if a dealer sees it. not only that, its around 800 bucks or so.. steep price not including install
Old 08-28-2012, 02:53 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

If that is the case then Borla has changed the way they make them.

Entirely possible.

I know with Magnaflow that was NOT the case for me.
And I know with many others it is the case too.
I was S out of luck.

Sounds like he would have to actually check with Flowmaster.
I wouldn't waste my time, money, or risk the chance of the cat back having to be tossed later though.
Especially since it really won't do anything for him anyways.
Ah i understand, different brands are going to make their product different ways
Old 08-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by xx10Gt
im pretty sure any mod to the engine will, especially if a dealer sees it. not only that, its around 800 bucks or so.. steep price not including install

I'm not so sure about that.
Example:
Ford offers supercharger upgrades for the Shelby that keeps it under warranty.

They do have kits that both come with warranties and I BELIEVE retain your warranty.
But they only offer them on kits that go to a certain power level.
After that power level... it's no longer warranty.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

In any case...I'd call Ford and ask them if the Boss intake would void the warranty.
Might as well ask them about gears too. I think if they are Ford gears you are covered but I have the motto its ALWAYS best to double check.

If they said gears voided it even if it was Ford's (which would almost shock me since they offer different gearing in the same models off the line),
I'd say screw it if you still wanted to mod anyway. Get a tune and the other items you want from wherever you want since it
would not matter anyways.

I do think as long as you get Ford gears and the intake and tune was Ford you would be covered.
This is why I think most people stay with Ford mods when they do. But might as well call them and ask all the questions
before you do it. That way you have peace of mind in knowing for SURE.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 08-28-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:50 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

I'm not so sure about that.
Example:
Ford offers supercharger upgrades for the Shelby that keeps it under warranty.
Yes, and its still under warranty because it comes that way. I think you may be correct with the FRPP not affecting warranty, but not sure. Its got me wondering and i kind of want to know the answer now
Old 08-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Warrio17
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by xx10Gt
Yes, and its still under warranty because it comes that way. I think you may be correct with the FRPP not affecting warranty, but not sure. Its got me wondering and i kind of want to know the answer now
FRPP tune comes with its own warranty. It replaces the remaining active warranty with one covers through FRPP.

In terms on the performance gained. It claims 16hp, it's a modest increase, obviously not to the level of let's say Bama but better than stock. Throttle response is drastically improved. This is the "tune Ford should have set the cars up with" wakes up the motor.

I have 3.73 I'm my 6sp MT, I wouldnt recommend anything higher for a daily driver. My first gear is very short. I'm in second well before I pass through an intersection. I average no better than 15.5 mpg around town, driving calmly also. Highly best I've see was 17.2 at 80mph- 2200 rpm. Using premium gas @$60+ a stop I'm paying to play. If gas prices and mpg is a concern I would even suggest 3.55. This isn't that much of a concern to me as I drive round trip to work 4 miles. I love the 3.73.

Typically if you stay with a certain manufacture all their exhaust parts will align. I'm looking in to Stainless Works. Start with the Catback move to full system when I my warranty expires. I too want to maintain it. I will get a Bama tune once my warranty expires, at that point the CEL from the full exhaust system can be addressed and I'll finally wake up the beast!!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:02 PM
2011scgt
1st Gear Member

if your looking for a boss intake i have one new in box for 375.00 shipped..i'm not going to use it..

Originally Posted by mygtcs
Hello guys, I am new to the forum and Mustangs. I have always been a Vette guy but the new Mustangs drew me in. I have a 2013 GT/CS 6 speed standard. I have ordered the Flowmaster cat back system and would like advise on which tuner. I am also thinking about a CAI but don't know if they really help or if it's just hype. I have also seen the BOSS intake but it seems like alot of expense for 14hp. There are so many diffrent products and adds it is confusing to a first time Mustang owner. I am only interested in bolt on's and do not want a supercharger. I like to spin the tires and run 0-60, I have no interest in top speed or road course driving.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:04 PM
2011scgt
1st Gear Member

the cat back will offer about 0 horsepower as with the cai.. sad but true..

Quick Reply: Performance mods for new Mustang