Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure about what to offer

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 PM
acctingman
1st Gear Member

Default Not sure about what to offer

Hello gents

I just started looking at 11 GT's and I'm a little lost as to what to offer. The ONLY feature I really care aobut is leather.

So, I see a 11 GT with leather and really nothing more for special features...low mileage (think 8k) and the dealer is asking $28k. Now I know there is wiggle room, but I have no idea what my first lowball offer should be.

Not even solid on what my bottom line offer should be.

I know there are a million factors/variables that go into making an offer, but help a newbie out......what would YOUR lowball offer be on the car above and what's the most you'd be willing to fork over (it's the right color, clean title, leather and no bells and whistles)

Thanks.....this should give me an idea on how I should handle this.

If I need to provide any additional info, just ask.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:28 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I'm thinking start around 23-24k. Not so low that it's insulting. Seeing lots of those cars for around 27-28k.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:42 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

if you can give us some of the options it comes with i could tell you a good price. Im usually pretty good and finding the best price!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:57 PM
surfbum7190
3rd Gear Member

when buying a car, hold all of your cards. go into that dealership saaying you are looking for a muscle car. look at the cameros, challengers, and mustangs. Test out the new ones as well. let him show you that mustang and show mild innterest at the most but say you are turned off by the price since there are so many of those around. That dealer will comme down. 28k is way too much for a car that is 2 years old. I used this technique when buying my 2012 brand new. GT, leather, and walked out the door spending 29,500.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:01 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

I purchased my NEW 2012 GT Premium for less than they are asking for that used '11. I would offer $22k and if they say no, then walk away. It helps if you walk in with comparable vehicle listings for less to justify your offer... if nothing else just keep looking... It is a business proposal, so don't be mad if they say no. Likewise, don't feel bad you are offering them what you think is a reasonable offer.

Don
Old 08-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

location, location, location plays a big part what a car costs (or at least how much you can talk it down on a used car (and new sometimes). Check KBB or Autotrader to see what is the norm around there or what you can expect. I took a quick look under zip code 98101 (King County) 22K is a 6 cyl (2011-2012) 26-28 seems to be the norm for a V8 (2011-2012) ...

When you negotiate, negotiate for out-the-door price, not just the price of the car.

Out the door price includes all taxes, license, etc. Makes it easier to stick to your guns versus playing their games of "let me talk to my manager" or "what if we did this for you" scenario or even the 'four square' game. So many people screw themselves over by playing into the games thinking they'll outsmart the sales guy. Keep it Simple Stupid (KiSS).
Old 08-28-2012, 02:47 PM
acctingman
1st Gear Member

Here is the Stang I'm looking at. There is no picture, but I've seen it. Clean and beautiful!

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

It looks to be just a GT with leather. Low mileage, but $28.9k?....WAY too much, imo. Just not sure what it is I'm willing to offer.

Yes, I know that the price I'm willing to pay is the bottom line, taxes, licenses, etc....

I live in Issaquah, Wa.....20 min SE of Seattle

Forgot to mention that I have a 02' Mercury Cougar in great shape w/ 78l miles that I'm using as a trade. I do know to negotiate the price of the Stang first then the price of my trade.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:56 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by acctingman
Here is the Stang I'm looking at. There is no picture, but I've seen it. Clean and beautiful!

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

It looks to be just a GT with leather. Low mileage, but $28.9k?....WAY too much, imo. Just not sure what it is I'm willing to offer.

Yes, I know that the price I'm willing to pay is the bottom line, taxes, licenses, etc....

I live in Issaquah, Wa.....20 min SE of Seattle

Forgot to mention that I have a 02' Mercury Cougar in great shape w/ 78l miles that I'm using as a trade. I do know to negotiate the price of the Stang first then the price of my trade.
i would offer them 23.5k out the door because im sure they'll pull the "how about 24k to 24.5k" stuff. which would seem reasonable, at least to me
Old 08-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I know people have walked out the door with 11-12s for under 30k new, with more options sometimes than what you are looking at with this. It's hard for me to think about how much I value the car to be, because that just means the value of my own car goes down incredibly. Though it is reality, and it all depends on the depth of the customer's pockets.

I think out the door, 22-23k would be my top dollar on a 2011.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

hard to tell what options the stang has with that crappy post - and being a black car, make sure you go look at it in person .. the paint may already be swirled to all hell and might need some professional attention.

if it has leather, chances are, its the premium model. there are a lot of packages and options that can add to cost though .. assuming its a premium with nothing else, I'd say mid 20s is a fair price. I wouldn't want to go over 24-25 for it personally. that is far too close to new-car territory, you can pick up a base GT (no leather) for around 30 ..

Quick Reply: Not sure about what to offer