Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with USB Port

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:58 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fishingfever
Wcgman... Thnx for that.... I am a little familiar with computer, but i am nowhere where i should be these days... I still get my bills in the mail, and yes still buy stamps.... My wife's family makes fun of me cuz i still have a flip phone... I try to redirect them off of that by showing them that its watrproof, doesnt work anymore... And fyi, i'm in my thirties... And also drive trucks...lol... Anyways, i did buy that USB thing and hooked it up. Works great.... Now i just need to find a place to downlod more music without getting piracy fines....

Grabborange, i hooked up that usb to the car, and it does look like it organizes it by artist and title. I tried using sync and it appeared to work, however i have to figure out xactly what to say for which song i want to play... Dont know if that answers ur question, but wanted to at leat give u that message....
Sync for the voice commands kinda sucks at first, but once you get used to it, its cool. I found that a slight pause after the commands helped a lot

To play a band or artist - like Metallica, you say "Play artist (pause) Metallica" For some artists that might have a weird spelling you might have to break it up like a computer would think...like Deadmau5. We all say "dead mouse" but the computer sees "deadmoufive" so thats how you gotta say it.

To play a song, it's "Play track (pause) Moves Like Jagger"

I know I might be picking genres you might not be into, but those are just examples. The sync guide doesnt make a lot of sense...oh and when you get on the wrong source like FM or CD instead of USB, just press that button for source and say "U S B" but a little quicker than pronouncing each word. That works the same for USB stick, Zune, iPod, etc...

As for downloading songs, I might borrow a track or album from a friend and then if I listen to a song more than a couple times, I'll buy it off Amazon so they artist gets a piece. No need to get into the whole philosophical thing about piracy...you're going to do it or you arent and nobody's going to convince you either way.

Last thing on everyone talking trash about what you know or dont about technology, fugg em. You know exactly what you need to know to get done what you want Most people don't understand why we spend all this money on our cars (I just bought an 800 head unit for the Shelby - lol!) but to them the car is utility. But then I'll bet when you tell them that you don't have a stereo in your truck - assuming youre not OTR and doing local runs - they are slightly aghast. When you drive truck, your focus is on the truck, the road, other people etc...and they think every vehicle needs at least an FM radio when it doesnt. lol Me personally, I spent more on video cards for my gaming computer than most people spent on their whole computer and yet I've owned 3 cell phones my whole life...first one lasted 8 years, second 7, and this one had better last at least 5. It's just a frikkin phone and I don't get the whole getting pumped about someone posting a new facebook status....

sorry for the rant...just took my pain pills from my surgery so acting a little loopy

Last edited by wcgman; 09-03-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:09 PM
surfbum7190
3rd Gear Member

i found SYNC to be horriblee with iphones. they shoulld just integrate an ipod dock into cars. I mean come on, in 15 years we have gone from 6 disc CD changers to 10 disck CD changers. i dont even own 10 CDs
Old 09-04-2012, 08:21 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

If you want to use USB memory stick with playlists, it is fairly easy if all your music is in mp3 format on your computer. All you need is Winamp, the free version will do nicely.
Keep your music in folders with the artist-album name (Beatles - Rubber Soul).

Use the Media Library feature of Winamp to make a playlist and save it to the stick that has the music. Plug in and the playlist will show on your player. Just be sure the music you are chosing for the playlist is on the stick, not your computer's hard drive.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by surfbum7190
i found SYNC to be horriblee with iphones. they shoulld just integrate an ipod dock into cars.
Sync is Microsoft.

ipod is Apple.

Apple has been going after Samsung in the courts over patent infringement involving various technologies. With success.

Microsoft isn't going to pay royalties or licensing fees if they can find any way at all around having to do so.

Ford is unlikely to split their technology partnership into two competing directions.

Need any more be said?

Norm
Old 09-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Hamhole
1st Gear Member

I bought a Rugged USB portable hard drive for my car (it has a shock resistant case). Sync works great, I can call up anything using voice commands. I had to buy a power adapter and stick it inside the console because the USB port does not provide enough juice to run a hard drive.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:14 PM
fishingfever
1st Gear Member

Thx guys. Appreciate all the suggestions and advice. Wish all this rain would stop so i could take her out.... Dying to play with th traction conrtol options now that i'm learning about this... I only knew about turning tcs off. Didnt know about turning all advance trac off, or putting it in sport mode.. Love learning about this car... Think th first owner put some upgrades in car... Finding out more about it everytime i drive it...
Old 09-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Grabborange
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTjoe49
If you want to use USB memory stick with playlists, it is fairly easy if all your music is in mp3 format on your computer. All you need is Winamp, the free version will do nicely.
Keep your music in folders with the artist-album name (Beatles - Rubber Soul).

Use the Media Library feature of Winamp to make a playlist and save it to the stick that has the music. Plug in and the playlist will show on your player. Just be sure the music you are chosing for the playlist is on the stick, not your computer's hard drive.
Thanks for the info, that's really helpful. I currently use Windows Media Player so should be easy to switch over to WinAmp.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:26 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by fishingfever
Hey guys... New to the Forum, but always had Mustang Blood.... Just bought my first one. 2010 Mustang GT... LOVE IT!!! Grew up around my brothers 89 LX 5.0 and finally had opportunity of getting my own. The problem i am having is actually embarrassing. I am not a whole lot into technology and all these gadgets now a days. I am very old school when it comes to certain things. I noticed that i have a USB port in my middle console, and i am trying to get my wife's IPOD to work on it. I have found a couple of things on the net that i tried, but still unsuccessful. I plug it in, hit auxilary on the radio, get it to Sync USB, and confirm it. Everytime I do this, I get the message unsupported device. I find it hard to believe that the IPOD is unsupported. I am sure it's something with me...lol... Anyone out there who can help me or is the dealer my best bet. THROTTLE DOWN!!!!
Hey, fishingfever!

If you know which iPod you have, you can check our compatibility chart to see if it'll work or not:

http://www.nsapp.fordtechservice.dea...N_iop_1_30.pdf

You can also use SYNC My iTunes by logging into your SYNCMyRide.com account and clicking on the SYNC UPDATES tab. If you need any help, I'm here for you!

Rebecca
Old 09-05-2012, 05:29 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Apple sucks. Just sayin.