Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:57 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

I picked up some used Pypes LT's for $320. Couldn't pass it up.

This is my setup with the LT's o/r h, and a muffler that is supposedly a Stinger sound a like.

http://youtu.be/_WhQ52Bh5q0

Don't be fooled by the video, it is VERY loud. Startup is impossible to keep quiet, and you will wake up the house (or neighborhood depending on how close your houses are), but otherwise you can keep it pretty controlled. Did have a cop try to whip around and pull me over in mid day traffic, but I'm pretty sure it was the same one who arrested my friend and impounded his car for having an air freshener hanging from his mirror. As long as you're sensible, you should be fine.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:02 AM
07graygt
2nd Gear Member

I have read alot of good things about jba long tubes so far as they are almost as good as the kooks but about the same price. When I get mine that's what I'm gonna do.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:22 AM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
Man do I remember having this conversation with myself...in a word gutwrenching.
I went with the shorties on my setup, primarily for cost savings and the ability to keep the mid and cats.
With my violators, the headers basically amplified my original exhaust note...which wasn't bad to begin with.
Combined with the new cadence produced from the cam =
Of course the l/t's will yield more top end hp and if you want to spend the money, I say get them.
I wouldn't worry about how "loud" it will be with l/ts, that can be controlled with the mid and axelback.
The shorties, in their defense will improve low and mid range torque along with improve the exhaust note (pulse)...Not bad for $320 bucks, right?
If the question is longtube or shortie...my answer was simple.
DD's = shortie
Track/WW = longtube
To date I have been very happy with my set-up and would recommend it...now the guys with longtubes can flame on!

My install 6-26
BBK shorties
CMDP's
DR cam

But before you get started, you might want to educate yourself about performance gains with shorties before sounding off...

explain these dyno numbers then bro...
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...s/viewall.html
First off...I'm not your ****ing bro.

Second, I'll recant me previous statement and say "you wont FEEL any gain" Because thats what it's all about right? What you can feel, unless your car is
a dyno queen. Since you are so educated you would know that one can make a dyno graph read anything they want. Oh wait they didn't post a dyno graph they just listed number. The article is misleading as well, there are other mods on the car. I'm not bashing the article just pointing out some of its flaws.

The Op stated he was getting hottrods, deletes, and headers. Clearly he's going for the performance aspect so why would he get shorties. I could see if he was only going for sound or looks, but he'd be foolish not to get Lts if he can afford them. They flow better, provide more substantial gains, and are better for future modding. Besides the fact who would recommend shortys with cams?
Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3vStang
It's alright...Mayo's a nice guy and I doubt he was attacking you in any way whatsoever. He was simply pointing out a less costly alternative. I think anyone who knows these cars, or cars in general, will know that LT's will give a better gain. Shorties are just another option that he was pointing out.

Again I would go with Pypes and save some cash. They are stainless steel and the fitment was great on my car. No rubbing or anything anywhere.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:58 PM
06stangia
1st Gear Member

Ok so I know I am going to get Long tubes. Now I have to decide cats or no cats.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:09 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06stangia
Ok so I know I am going to get Long tubes. Now I have to decide cats or no cats.
Are you planning on going f/i'd eventually? Would you mind the smell without them?

If you think you'd be ok without them, I'd save the cash and go catless.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:38 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

The Op stated he was getting hottrods, deletes, and headers. Clearly he's going for the performance aspect so why would he get shorties. I could see if he was only going for sound or looks, but he'd be foolish not to get Lts if he can afford them. They flow better, provide more substantial gains, and are better for future modding.
One could argue that if he was truly going for performance, he'd put the price of everything he listed toward a blower. Used blower set ups for 3v's are selling CHEAP...like $2000-2500 cheap. LT's and cams, especially if paid for installation, is getting real close to that.

Last edited by BleedinBlue; 09-06-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:29 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06stangia
OP - Good thing you got 4.10s. That definitely helps with the low-end torque loss of long tubes...

Dyno graph from header comparison on HorsePower TV:

Name:  HeaderComparison1.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  59.7 KB

Daily Driver - Shorties
Track Monster - Long Tubes

Originally Posted by BleedinBlue
One could argue that if he was truly going for performance, he'd put the price of everything he listed toward a blower. Used blower set ups for 3v's are selling CHEAP...like $2000-2500 cheap. LT's and cams, especially if paid for installation, is getting real close to that.
Good point.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:36 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Second, I'll recant me previous statement and say "you wont FEEL any gain" Because thats what it's all about right? What you can feel, unless your car is
a dyno queen. Since you are so educated you would know that one can make a dyno graph read anything they want. Oh wait they didn't post a dyno graph they just listed number. The article is misleading as well, there are other mods on the car. I'm not bashing the article just pointing out some of its flaws.

The Op stated he was getting hottrods, deletes, and headers. Clearly he's going for the performance aspect so why would he get shorties. I could see if he was only going for sound or looks, but he'd be foolish not to get Lts if he can afford them. They flow better, provide more substantial gains, and are better for future modding. Besides the fact who would recommend shortys with cams?
Point taken guy, wasn't tryin to strike a nerve...just give a fellow member a different perspective.
I simply found your statement to be incorrect and I would agree with the numbers found in the article...and that's from a guy that has the product, not selling it. REAL WORLD everyday driving feedback for the OP...isn't that what everyone comes here to learn?
Facts over "feeling" if you will sir...
and if you can't "feel" 17lbs of torque on the street guy, I would recalibrate your butt dyno.
These increases in low end torque from the shortie help negate the natural loss produced from the cams...that's why someone would recommend them together
Again the real question is DD or track imo.

Last edited by mayo; 09-06-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:04 AM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
Point taken guy, wasn't tryin to strike a nerve...just give a fellow member a different perspective.
I simply found your statement to be incorrect and I would agree with the numbers found in the article...and that's from a guy that has the product, not selling it. REAL WORLD everyday driving feedback for the OP...isn't that what everyone comes here to learn?
Facts over "feeling" if you will sir...
and if you can't "feel" 17lbs of torque on the street guy, I would recalibrate your butt dyno.
These increases in low end torque from the shortie help negate the natural loss produced from the cams...that's why someone would recommend them together
Again the real question is DD or track imo.
Yea, not to sure why I snapped...their just headers lol. No, I see your point, personally I just like Lts because the potential for power with future modding...heads/cams/FI. Plus I was raised around old school muscle, I've only ever put Lts/mid lengths on my cars.

To each their own, but the LTs do produce a kick *** sound.

Last edited by 3vStang; 09-06-2012 at 09:10 AM.