Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Sound Deaden or Not to Sound Deaden...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 12:03 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Check that site out. Guy uses a lot of different material to address different areas. He has a lot of good rep on various forums. I looked to him when I was going to deaden my 68 Camaro, but ended up selling the car.

The material you use for vibrations isn't ideally suited to also providing sound insulation, and the anti-vibration material is more targeted than simply coating the entire surface.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I did Spectrum, Damplifier Pro and Overkill on my car a few months back. The Spectrum really helped take the vibration out of my car. It feels really tight and defiantly not like an '05. It made it feel similar quality to my husband's 370.

Here is the thread.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...rior-pics.html
I love the results.

Last edited by Tanner05; 09-05-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:15 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

I saw your thread Tanner when doing my research - very nice job BTW!

Do you feel that it was worth the cost and hard work to install it?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Stuntman Mike

I dropped the coin last spring on the Acoustishield kit from QuietRide Solutions. I put it all in over a few weekends in June. I've got lot of photographs as it was in process and have been meaning to put of a review of the kit. Maybe this will be my motivation.

I know I added some weight to the car, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Completely quiet? No way. But so much better!

And if you think those cars are noisy now, driving around with the interior removed takes noisy to a completely new level! :-)
Old 09-05-2012, 05:11 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stuntman Mike
I dropped the coin last spring on the Acoustishield kit from QuietRide Solutions. I put it all in over a few weekends in June. I've got lot of photographs as it was in process and have been meaning to put of a review of the kit. Maybe this will be my motivation.

I know I added some weight to the car, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Completely quiet? No way. But so much better!

And if you think those cars are noisy now, driving around with the interior removed takes noisy to a completely new level! :-)
I checked out their website. Looks interesting how the pieces are precut for your car. I would love to see pics and hear your optnion of the install/results...

How much weight do you think you added?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:28 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I did it in my 06 - gutted the interior and did the whole thing in a weekend. It helped. Not like night and day...but it helps. Would I do it again...NOPE. A lot of work for what was a marginal increase after all the hard work it takes. I cant remember what product I used though.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
I wouldn't think that a Mustang would be that quiet with what I selected. Going with Damplifier Pro and their Luxury Liner Pro probably would come close, but that would add nearly 80 lbs!
unless you are autocross racing 80 lbs will not make a difference. A full tank of gas weighs in at over 100 vs an empty tank.

I think i'd be nice to be able to hold a conversation while flooring it but not be so quiet that I have to pipe in sound to the cabin like the 2010+ models do.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Stuntman Mike

I checked out their website. Looks interesting how the pieces are precut for your car. I would love to see pics and hear your optnion of the install/results...

How much weight do you think you added?
If I had a way to weigh the box when I received it, I would have. But I'm guessing it was less than 50 pounds because I wasn't sweating it when I took it off of the porch and carried it to the garage. When I hear stories about so much weight being added to a car during an insulation exercise, I wonder if that's from those who Dynamat EVERYTHING. The kit comes with precut panels to be placed only where the damping effect is most effective.

Last edited by Stuntman Mike; 09-06-2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 PM
WildAzCat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
I did it in my 06 - gutted the interior and did the whole thing in a weekend. It helped. Not like night and day...but it helps. Would I do it again...NOPE. A lot of work for what was a marginal increase after all the hard work it takes. I cant remember what product I used though.
I feel exactly the same. Not really worth the effort and cost. However I'm glad I did it because the idea was always on my mind. I wouldn't do it again nor would I want to help with an install.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I saw your thread Tanner when doing my research - very nice job BTW!

Do you feel that it was worth the cost and hard work to install it?
Since the car is pretty much a project car.. yes. If i was having to depend on it for a DD, the two or three weeks I was without it while we sprayed the spectrum and everything wouldn't have been worth it. Now that its done, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Quick Reply: To Sound Deaden or Not to Sound Deaden...