Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:30 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Antonio323
I'm not sure what the firmware update was for, but I'd still give it a try. And trust me, my tune was on my car for a while too when all of a sudden it would just start throwing the running rich codes. The CEL light hasn't come back on since that update.
Just updated the tuner and loaded my 93R tune back on the car. She runs just like new! Thanks for the info Antonio! Hopefully the CEL will stay off for a long time. Or, if it does decide to come back again, it's another small issue like this one.

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
So it sounds like you were running the BBK CAI and Bama tunes for a while without any issues. Then, a CEL came out of nowhere. This is why I think you should take the cold air intake off and clean the inside of the inlet tube, clean the throttle body (make sure to get behind the blades, as well) and finally, clean the MAF sensor. These cars are notorious for a little bit of blow-by that affects idle quality and can cause other complaints. If you do these three things and then reflash the car (to get rid of any learned values), your problem will most likely go away!

Bama can absolutely write a set of stock airbox tunes for you, but that doesn't solve the issue. If your throttle body or MAF being dirty is causing the underlying problem, it may still happen again with the stock airbox.

I don't know why the Bama team (it wasn't Dan Bailer) told you that the BBK CAI has issues. There have been hundreds of people running that intake with our tunes for quite some time and all love it!

Let's start with cleaning out the TB, MAF and inlet tube and see if that fixes your issues! Just remember to reflash the car with the tune you're currently running or simply unhook the negative terminal on your battery for 15 minutes or so!

Good luck, hope this helps!

Shane
Like I said, i've been running a BBK and Bama 93R tune since late April, and haven't had a reason to complain. It's been working perfectly for me. This little problem was nothing to be afraid of. Although it freaked me out that it came from nowhere. Glad it's all fixed though, since i've updated the tuner.

Going to go in tomorrow and clean the MAF, intake tube, and the filter, just because I haven't had a reason to clean them. I know the TB is sparkly clean since I thoroughly cleaned it less than 500 miles ago. Don't think i'll be needing new tunes just yet from you guys.

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Not really, it helps trap some of the finer dirt particles, but most people over oil the filter which causes more problems than not oiling the filter. Never used compressed air to clean your filter. Just use a mix of simple green and water with a brush and then backflow with a garden hose or sink faucet, shake out most of the water and let it air dry.
Duly noted. I'm going to clean out the filter tomorrow while i'm sanding down my sisters car. Gives everything plenty of time to dry.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007StangV6
Just updated the tuner and loaded my 93R tune back on the car. She runs just like new! Thanks for the info Antonio! Hopefully the CEL will stay off for a long time. Or, if it does decide to come back again, it's another small issue like this one.
Cool! Glad to hear that I was able to help.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:00 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Seems I spoke a bit too soon. CEL came back on while I was running errands today. Came home to drop the car off and switch out cars.

I tried removing the MAF but for some reason, every alan wrench I use to get the two screws off is either too big or just a little too small. There isn't one that is a "perfect" size and I don't want to strip these.

Even went out and bought a new tool set, and none of them fit. Going to give it a thorough look at later.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:58 PM
JimC

I don't think that the MAF screws are allen wrench heads. I believe that they are all tork bit heads - which would explain why your allen wrenches are all the wrong size.

Some are the torx lock type - you need a tork bit that has a center hole for a post in the center of the screw head. Take a look at it and make sure, but if you have been trying allen wrenches then I suspect you don't have the post in the center.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:54 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Seems I spoke a bit too soon. CEL came back on while I was running errands today. Came home to drop the car off and switch out cars.

I tried removing the MAF but for some reason, every alan wrench I use to get the two screws off is either too big or just a little too small. There isn't one that is a "perfect" size and I don't want to strip these.

Even went out and bought a new tool set, and none of them fit. Going to give it a thorough look at later.
Ugh! What a real shame. Looks like you do have another problem then. Sorry I can't help from here as I'm still in a process of learning. I'm sure the guys here will help you out. Good luck with that and keep us posted on the results.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:41 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
I don't think that the MAF screws are allen wrench heads. I believe that they are all tork bit heads - which would explain why your allen wrenches are all the wrong size.

Some are the torx lock type - you need a tork bit that has a center hole for a post in the center of the screw head. Take a look at it and make sure, but if you have been trying allen wrenches then I suspect you don't have the post in the center.
The stock screws were torx head I believe. When I changed to the BBK intake, it came with allen wrench screws. Got it off with a 2.5mm allen. Don't know why mine wasn't working. Got it all off and sprayed the MAF with the cleaner. Went in to watch the game and then came out and tested everything. The drive home was about 20 minutes. Not sure how long it would take before everything to pop back up.

Originally Posted by Antonio323
Ugh! What a real shame. Looks like you do have another problem then. Sorry I can't help from here as I'm still in a process of learning. I'm sure the guys here will help you out. Good luck with that and keep us posted on the results.
Thanks for the help though! Hopefully cleaning off the MAF did the trick. I'll find out when I drive it to work tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

That's because the firmware update from SCT has NOTHING to do with our cars Pre 2011. It's to fix a programming bug for 2011 and 2012 stangs. Read the firmware update release.

http://www.sctflash.com/showdeviceup...3000&RVCODE=XP

the reason teh light went away for a short while after you loaded it is because it wiped the computer (like unplugging the battery) when you put in the tune.

It's most likely your MAF that needs cleaning as alreadys stated.

Oh and the size Torx is either a 10 or 15. If I recall correctly. Not an allen wrench. If you use an allen you're liable to strip out the torx arms then you'll need to drill out the screws.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:48 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
That's because the firmware update from SCT has NOTHING to do with our cars Pre 2011. It's to fix a programming bug for 2011 and 2012 stangs. Read the firmware update release.

http://www.sctflash.com/showdeviceup...3000&RVCODE=XP

the reason teh light went away for a short while after you loaded it is because it wiped the computer (like unplugging the battery) when you put in the tune.

It's most likely your MAF that needs cleaning as alreadys stated.

Oh and the size Torx is either a 10 or 15. If I recall correctly. Not an allen wrench. If you use an allen you're liable to strip out the torx arms then you'll need to drill out the screws.
Figured that it only went away because I reflashed it. It needed to be updated anyways, so no harm done.

Cleaned out the MAF by taking out the 2.5mm allen screws. I took the Torx out and replaced it with the allen screws. Been driving it for awhile now, and nothing has come back on.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Urascal

Bought a 2005 GT. On the way home from the dealer, the CEL came on. Throwing two codes 0171, 0174 saying system too lean. After 2 MAF sensors, replaced the cold air filter with a stock and new MAF sensor. No more codes.