Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 10:42 AM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Default Check engine light!

Seems silly that I would be excited for my CEL to be on, but I am. I got to use my handheld for something other than loading tunes. Turns out, it's just a P0175 code. I've had my BBK CAI/Bama Tune since April-ish. Haven't had any problems with either product until this past Monday.

It was like any other day. Filled up with 93 at the same gas station. Drove down the road, picked my sister up from work and on the way home, the CEL came on. Did a little bit of searching, and people have been saying that it could be a dirty MAF since the air filter is oiled. Going to do that when I get home. Other people have said it could be O2 sensors went bad.

I called up AM/Bama, and they said they would re-write me a tune with my stock intake. That's going to be a last resort, as I plan on upgrading my intake in the near future.

Any other things it could possibly be?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

LOL I can empathize. Whenever a light goes on in one of family's cars I always get a little giddy because I get to play mechanic.

MAF is one of the main reasons for this type of code on a Mustang.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:44 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2007StangV6
Seems silly that I would be excited for my CEL to be on, but I am. I got to use my handheld for something other than loading tunes. Turns out, it's just a P0175 code. I've had my BBK CAI/Bama Tune since April-ish. Haven't had any problems with either product until this past Monday.

It was like any other day. Filled up with 93 at the same gas station. Drove down the road, picked my sister up from work and on the way home, the CEL came on. Did a little bit of searching, and people have been saying that it could be a dirty MAF since the air filter is oiled. Going to do that when I get home. Other people have said it could be O2 sensors went bad.

I called up AM/Bama, and they said they would re-write me a tune with my stock intake. That's going to be a last resort, as I plan on upgrading my intake in the near future.

Any other things it could possibly be?
2007StangV6,

If you've been running good since April with no issues, an adjusted tune will not affect your current issue, unfortunately. Installing the stock intake could prevent future oil from getting to your MAf, but it won't clean the existing oil off. Definitely pick some MAF cleaner up at your local auto store and give it a thorough cleaning, first. If that doesn't fix the problem, look into other mechanical solutions.

Keep me updated with the issue and let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

Shane
Old 09-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Try returning the car back to stock, connect the tuner onto your computer, update the firmware version, and then put the tune back on the car. I went through this about three weeks ago as well and that fixed my issue. According to Mike Wilson, head calibrator at Bama, an outdated firmware version can cause that issue to come up. I'd give that a try and if it doesn't work, then try cleaning the MAF.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:59 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
LOL I can empathize. Whenever a light goes on in one of family's cars I always get a little giddy because I get to play mechanic.

MAF is one of the main reasons for this type of code on a Mustang.
Good to know i'm not the only one who enjoys it. Unfortunately, nobody in my household has had their CEL come on, so I can't test it. I try to keep everyone on a strict schedule for maintenance, since i'm the only mechanically inclined person here. Which isn't saying much, since I only know what I have done before, and what I have researched. Haha.

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
2007StangV6,

If you've been running good since April with no issues, an adjusted tune will not affect your current issue, unfortunately. Installing the stock intake could prevent future oil from getting to your MAf, but it won't clean the existing oil off. Definitely pick some MAF cleaner up at your local auto store and give it a thorough cleaning, first. If that doesn't fix the problem, look into other mechanical solutions.

Keep me updated with the issue and let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

Shane
When I called up Bama, I spoke with Dan (not sure if it was Dan Bailer, or someone else). He said, from my understanding, that they would write me up all new tunes with the stock intake until I could get a new CAI. He mentioned that he has heard a couple of complaints with the BBK intake.

Originally Posted by Antonio323
Try returning the car back to stock, connect the tuner onto your computer, update the firmware version, and then put the tune back on the car. I went through this about three weeks ago as well and that fixed my issue. According to Mike Wilson, head calibrator at Bama, an outdated firmware version can cause that issue to come up. I'd give that a try and if it doesn't work, then try cleaning the MAF.
Good information to know. I thought the firmware update was for 2010+? I didn't bother with it, since it didn't effect me. It wouldn't have even crossed my mind since the tune is already on the car and has been running perfectly.

Just another quick question regarding intakes, how many miles should I go between re-oiling/replacing the intake? I've heard everything ranging from 6-10k miles. Luckily, while this problem exists, I still have my trusty truck to drive.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:56 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I would just clean the MAF and dont re-oil the filter when you clean it. The oil isnt that big of a deal on the filter.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:05 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
I would just clean the MAF and dont re-oil the filter when you clean it. The oil isnt that big of a deal on the filter.
So there's not a benefit of oiling an air filter? By cleaning it, I used to just take an air hose and blow out the dust/dirt. Is there a proper way of doing it?
Old 09-06-2012, 12:24 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Good information to know. I thought the firmware update was for 2010+? I didn't bother with it, since it didn't effect me. It wouldn't have even crossed my mind since the tune is already on the car and has been running perfectly.

Just another quick question regarding intakes, how many miles should I go between re-oiling/replacing the intake? I've heard everything ranging from 6-10k miles. Luckily, while this problem exists, I still have my trusty truck to drive.
I'm not sure what the firmware update was for, but I'd still give it a try. And trust me, my tune was on my car for a while too when all of a sudden it would just start throwing the running rich codes. The CEL light hasn't come back on since that update.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:42 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

When I called up Bama, I spoke with Dan (not sure if it was Dan Bailer, or someone else). He said, from my understanding, that they would write me up all new tunes with the stock intake until I could get a new CAI. He mentioned that he has heard a couple of complaints with the BBK intake.
So it sounds like you were running the BBK CAI and Bama tunes for a while without any issues. Then, a CEL came out of nowhere. This is why I think you should take the cold air intake off and clean the inside of the inlet tube, clean the throttle body (make sure to get behind the blades, as well) and finally, clean the MAF sensor. These cars are notorious for a little bit of blow-by that affects idle quality and can cause other complaints. If you do these three things and then reflash the car (to get rid of any learned values), your problem will most likely go away!

Bama can absolutely write a set of stock airbox tunes for you, but that doesn't solve the issue. If your throttle body or MAF being dirty is causing the underlying problem, it may still happen again with the stock airbox.

I don't know why the Bama team (it wasn't Dan Bailer) told you that the BBK CAI has issues. There have been hundreds of people running that intake with our tunes for quite some time and all love it!

Let's start with cleaning out the TB, MAF and inlet tube and see if that fixes your issues! Just remember to reflash the car with the tune you're currently running or simply unhook the negative terminal on your battery for 15 minutes or so!

Good luck, hope this helps!

Shane
Old 09-06-2012, 05:10 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

So there's not a benefit of oiling an air filter? By cleaning it, I used to just take an air hose and blow out the dust/dirt. Is there a proper way of doing it?
Not really, it helps trap some of the finer dirt particles, but most people over oil the filter which causes more problems than not oiling the filter. Never used compressed air to clean your filter. Just use a mix of simple green and water with a brush and then backflow with a garden hose or sink faucet, shake out most of the water and let it air dry.

Quick Reply: Check engine light!