Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

powdercoating?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 01:11 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Default powdercoating?

Where does everyone take their items to get powdercoated/ painted?
I have an engine plenum and fuel rail covers that i would like custom painted/powdercoated...
Another question real quick: I have a red '10 GT with black interior and im looking to spice up my engine bay, so what color(s) of paint would look best? thanks

Name:  Underhood.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  93.2 KB
Old 09-14-2012, 01:22 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Well I can't help you on your first question really, just find your nearest paint and body shops and get some estimates.

But as for number two, red and chrome personally.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:28 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
Well I can't help you on your first question really, just find your nearest paint and body shops and get some estimates.

But as for number two, red and chrome personally.
Cool, alot of people on here say they dont really like the chrome. Im thinking of custom painting the intake plenum and fuel rail covers, get valve covers, and then get a battery cover/master brake cylinder cover and paint them also. One MF'er suggested red and black ghost flames. Im liking that idea but dont know if it would like right. Thoughts?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:36 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

I mean, I'm not really a chrome guy but if that's the look you're going for red would compliment that pretty well I think. I'm sure you've probably seen this thread already, but this might help you out with that process https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...k-suicide.html

I think the burnt orange looks sexy as hell, but I may be biased towards UT living in Austin hahaha.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:42 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
I mean, I'm not really a chrome guy but if that's the look you're going for red would compliment that pretty well I think. I'm sure you've probably seen this thread already, but this might help you out with that process https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...k-suicide.html

I think the burnt orange looks sexy as hell, but I may be biased towards UT living in Austin hahaha.
damn that looks great!

I thiknk what im going to do is purchase the valve covers in black and then order the fuel rail covers and intake plenum and have them painted along with the throttle body extension, just have to pick a color choice. I think red would look good, but i want something that would stand out to people.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:11 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I go to a private run paint shop about 30-40 minutes from my house. Have had him do some wheels and a set of calipers. Everything turns out great and he has good prices.

Keep the black/red color combo for your engine bay
Old 09-14-2012, 09:31 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't get your plastics power coated.. That's just me but it's a pain and not every powder coating place can do it very well.. It takes a much different skill than other materials.. If anything, I would get them airbrushed with custom designs (high heat and sealed of course)
Old 09-14-2012, 11:12 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
I go to a private run paint shop about 30-40 minutes from my house. Have had him do some wheels and a set of calipers. Everything turns out great and he has good prices.

Keep the black/red color combo for your engine bay
great. whats your opinion on the chrome?
Old 09-14-2012, 12:30 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xx10Gt
great. whats your opinion on the chrome?
I'm not a fan of chrome, especially items that are exposed to the elements, mainly because I don't have time to regularly clean and polish them. But that's just me.

As for powdercoating plastics, you can't do it properly. The coating is electricly adhered to whatever you are powdercoating, but plastics are not conductive. Also, they are then baked in a large oven to cure, and I'm not sure the exact temperature, but it is hot! Could likely distort the plastic's shape.

You could either leave it natural color, paint, or do that hydroprinting stuff D'prived has on his car.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:50 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
I'm not a fan of chrome, especially items that are exposed to the elements, mainly because I don't have time to regularly clean and polish them. But that's just me.

As for powdercoating plastics, you can't do it properly. The coating is electricly adhered to whatever you are powdercoating, but plastics are not conductive. Also, they are then baked in a large oven to cure, and I'm not sure the exact temperature, but it is hot! Could likely distort the plastic's shape.

You could either leave it natural color, paint, or do that hydroprinting stuff D'prived has on his car.
maybe some cool airbrushing and clear coat?

also, if not chrome caps what does everyone else do, keep them stock?

Quick Reply: powdercoating?