Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!..X pipe install

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:10 PM
robred81

Default Help!..X pipe install

Started installing my off road x pipe today. Got the first three bolts off no problem. The dreaded top passenger side nut is loose but has now gotten about 3 threads from being off and now just spins without going anywhere. Anyone have any suggestions, I've tried putting pressure on the bolt but it still just spins.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:15 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

You're talking about where the stock mid connects to the header?.. Have you tried feeling behind it to see if something is spinning back there? I can't remember what it looks like exactly, but I think you can put a wrench on both sides...
Old 09-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Milspec
2nd Gear Member

So you've actually gotten the top passenger nut almost all the way off (three threads), and now the nut is spinning on the stud but not moving??

Did you take the battery and battery crate out to unplug the passenger o2?...When I did mine I took those out and could get a better view of the stud from the topside.

It sounds odd that it would be almost all the way off and just spinning....I guess it could be stripped, but just seems odd...what does it look like?
Old 09-17-2012, 02:20 PM
robred81

It's where the converter and manifold meet. Their isn't anything behind it to spin, just a nut on the stud. It's so frustrating because its so close to being off the just spins on the stud, it will tighten up but will not come all the way off.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:21 PM
robred81

I did remove the batter so i could see it better so i know the stud isn't moving.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Milspec
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by robred81
It's where the converter and manifold meet. Their isn't anything behind it to spin, just a nut on the stud. It's so frustrating because its so close to being off the just spins on the stud, it will tighten up but will not come all the way off.
There could be something on the last few threads preventing the bolt from moving further...Do you have any PB Blaster or penetrating oil...if so I'd recommend soaking the whole stud and nut area and let it set in then try again...
Old 09-17-2012, 02:38 PM
robred81

tried the PB Blaster, the nut is pretty rough looking from trying to get it broke loose. At a loss right now, not sure what to try next.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Milspec
2nd Gear Member

Check the inside of your socket and the flat edges of the nut, does it appear that the nut edges have been rounded a bit, OR the inside of the socket is worn down?
Old 09-17-2012, 02:43 PM
robred81

nut is rounded a bit but its loose enough I can spin it with my fingers, just doesn't go anywhere.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Milspec
2nd Gear Member

Sh*t, that's a new one for me....so if you tighten it, can you see anything jacked up with the threads on the one part of the stud where it will start spinning?

Quick Reply: Help!..X pipe install