Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you guys recommend for brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default What do you guys recommend for brake pads?

Mine are getting pretty thin and starting to squeak a bit so I figure its time to order some new ones. Im not putting down any big numbers HP wise nor do I track the car but I do enjoy some spirited driving and would sure love to S/C the car one day so if I can upgrade slightly now than why not.
Id also like to keep cost to a minimum as until December Im still a broke college kid.

I havent seen what the OEM pads are priced at but the Hawk ones dont seem to poorly priced. But whats the difference between the street/strip and the street ones? The street ones are higher priced but not by much.

Any recommendations or tips would be awesome guys!
Old 09-23-2012, 01:21 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Mainly the compoud.. they are good brake pads IMO.. the street/strip ones will provide better braking but will feel a little different, wont be as quiet and will produce a little more dust. If you don't track the car there is no reason not to use regular street brakes. Their ceramic pads will do just fine.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:19 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Strip / Racing pads stop well, but they have to heat up first. Not a good idea for the street.

Get a good high performance street pad from Hawk or Stoptech, and you're golden.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Many people are happy with Hawk. There are a lot worse.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:18 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
I havent seen what the OEM pads are priced at but the Hawk ones dont seem to poorly priced. But whats the difference between the street/strip and the street ones? The street ones are higher priced but not by much.

Any recommendations or tips would be awesome guys!
Since you aren't tracking the car (meaning road course lapping or HPDE here, not the dragstrip), you definitely want to stay with a performance street pad of some sort.

In the Hawk line, that would be the HPS.

Norm
Old 09-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I purchased the HPS when I redid my brakes a little while ago and I was a little disappointed with the braking performance, but as mentioned they need to heat up a little bit and at the time I didn't take that into consideration. While they stopped just fine, the stopping was compared to the stock pads while they were cold and not the extra grip I was expecting.

I've had them a little warmer and have noticed how much better they stop, but again a quick trip to the store you probably won't notice. There are much cheaper alternatives, you can just go online to Rockauto.com or to your local Autozone/Advanced Auto and see how much their pads cost... but you can get all four corners for as much as you can buy a front or rear set of Hawk pads. Motorcrafts look like they'll set you back $90+ Shipping for front and rear from rockauto.com
Old 09-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Whatever you do, just DON'T get the Hawk HP+. You will hate them and you will hate driving your car around with them. They dust your wheels in 5 minutes and squeeeeaaaal horribly all the time.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

↑↑↑ Exactly why I didn't even mention them. HP+ is really a serious autocross to no more than rank-newbie-entry-level as a track pad.

Norm
Old 09-24-2012, 12:11 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I have EBC reds. No dust, no noise but they are a little more than the hawks.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:16 PM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

I would suggest the EBC's as well, they are a little more but worth it. Pair them up with those EBC slotted rotors and you will really have a nice set up, but the pads are great by themselves

Quick Reply: What do you guys recommend for brake pads?