Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 04:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How To: Add a sub and amp to a 2013

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:02 AM
ATTFighter

Originally Posted by ATTFighter
Hey JDWALTON where do you live in FL? I also live in FL. I replaced all 4 speakers, fronts and rears with these http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...a-682.9cf.html

infinity kappas. The fronts were easy but the rears were a pain in the ***. I had to basically take apart the whole rear of the car. So the speakers are great but the car has almost NO VOLUME and I am not hearing the real quality of the speakers because the stok amp is trying to power all 4 speakers plus the stock subs.

When you fade it all the way out to the rear its still very low volume from stock. What I want to do is add an AMP so the speakers have power. I have no idea how to do any audio work I was wondering maybe if you can help me install an AMP in my car I would pay you of course. thanks.
Sorry submitted before I re-read my post, i corrected spelling error.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:49 AM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
Seek professional help when appropriate:

Tell the wife the missing child has been located...

Nice job w/ the installs!

Does the sub impact the trunk storage capacity?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:07 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Sorry guys I missed a few posts apparently.

Wingless, yes it definitely does decrease my trunk space just a little bit.

Fighter, if you were able to do your speakers you should easily be able to do the amp. The speakers you selected though have a good sensitivity and are two ohm. They should be fairly loud. You said when he fade all way to the back it's very quiet that's common with the factory radio. Try fading all the way back and then balancing left or right and see if it's louder when it's coming out of one speaker instead of both. If it is louder out of one speaker then both check your polarity. If all of your positives are not the right positive then the speakers will fight each other and your sound will be lower.

Where in Florida do you live?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:48 AM
ATTFighter

Hey, I live in Boca Raton, FL

Sorry guys I missed a few posts apparently.

Wingless, yes it definitely does decrease my trunk space just a little bit.

Fighter, if you were able to do your speakers you should easily be able to do the amp. The speakers you selected though have a good sensitivity and are two ohm. They should be fairly loud. You said when he fade all way to the back it's very quiet that's common with the factory radio. Try fading all the way back and then balancing left or right and see if it's louder when it's coming out of one speaker instead of both. If it is louder out of one speaker then both check your polarity. If all of your positives are not the right positive then the speakers will fight each other and your sound will be lower.

Where in Florida do you live?
Old 10-10-2012, 02:08 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Ouch... I live very far away but can offer assistance or tips if you get stuck or need advice. I live about half way between Orlando and Daytona
Old 10-10-2012, 02:15 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Went back and re-read what you had wrote.

Defiantly check the polarity to all your speakers. You need to look at a wire guide and figure out what color is considered positive on each speaker. If you can snap pics of your wiring to each speaker and throw them up here I will have a look for you.

Also just so you know, the stock radio is driving your door speaks and rears. It sounds like you have a shak system as you said "and subs." The shaker system has amps for the door subs. If you have some subs just spliced in and running off the head unit, that's a big no no.

http://www.iihs.net/fsm/?dir=710&vie...Navigation.pdf

Last edited by JDWalton; 10-10-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:50 PM
ATTFighter

Hey, thanks for the help. I checked the balance they both are equal volume on both the left and right sides. I did not do anything but a direct swap all the wiring is still stock. All i did was take out the stock speakers and hook up the wires that were there to the new speakers. I read that in these cars 75% of the power is towards the front speakers anyways. Yes i have 4 speakers and I have the 2 subs in the doors up front its the stock shaker system that comes with the 2013 mustang. What i want to do is add an amp to give more power to the front and rear speakers. I did not touch the subs at all.

Went back and re-read what you had wrote.

Defiantly check the polarity to all your speakers. You need to look at a wire guide and figure out what color is considered positive on each speaker. If you can snap pics of your wiring to each speaker and throw them up here I will have a look for you.

Also just so you know, the stock radio is driving your door speaks and rears. It sounds like you have a shak system as you said "and subs." The shaker system has amps for the door subs. If you have some subs just spliced in and running off the head unit, that's a big no no.

http://www.iihs.net/fsm/?dir=710&vie...Navigation.pdf
Old 10-10-2012, 04:41 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

When you say you unhooked thee speakers and hooked them up though, you either had to use an adapter or splice into your factory wires. Also you have the wiring coming off the crossover. Its not just having them balance the same, what I mean is see if the system seems to be louder coming from one speaker. If it is, you have polarity crossed on some speakers and the sound waves are fighting each other.

As for running your own amp, you will need a amp install kit, probably 8 or 4ga depending on how much you amp them. A 2ohm x 4ch amp, and the rest depends on how you want to wire it.

Let me know how you want to proceed but I'm just telling if the polarities are crossed then it doesn't matter if it is amplified it will sound bad.

I'll put together a parts list tonight to go the route you are talking
Old 10-10-2012, 06:02 PM
ATTFighter

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Infinity-Kap...aker-/69744933 if you see the speakers have an adapter at the end that you just put the wire in and clamp it so you don't have to splice anything. And i tested all the speakers, they all have the same volume so i think the balance is good and the waves are not fighting each other. I think i just want the speakers to be louder, the stock unit just does not have enough power to unleash the true power of these speakers. It has a better sound quality than stock but its not much LOUDER than stock.

When you say you unhooked thee speakers and hooked them up though, you either had to use an adapter or splice into your factory wires. Also you have the wiring coming off the crossover. Its not just having them balance the same, what I mean is see if the system seems to be louder coming from one speaker. If it is, you have polarity crossed on some speakers and the sound waves are fighting each other.

As for running your own amp, you will need a amp install kit, probably 8 or 4ga depending on how much you amp them. A 2ohm x 4ch amp, and the rest depends on how you want to wire it.

Let me know how you want to proceed but I'm just telling if the polarities are crossed then it doesn't matter if it is amplified it will sound bad.

I'll put together a parts list tonight to go the route you are talking
Old 10-10-2012, 08:39 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

all right, I would probably do something like this:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...10ZX350.4.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...SL-09ZISL.html x2
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...y-Scosche.html

the reason I selected this is that you can use high level inputs, so need to wire in converters, and run the speed wire to the amp and back. Basicaly you would pull your radio out, cut the speaker wires on the harness. You will splice in the speed wire, run it to the back, hook it up to the adapters to get signal to the amp. Then run the speaker out from the amp through the speedwire, back to your dash and splice back into the factory wire to get back to your speakers.

Either that or instead of speedwire back, you can run a higher gauge individualy to the speakers. If it were me I would probably get a 100ft roll of 12ga and do that, but up to you.

Quick Reply: How To: Add a sub and amp to a 2013