Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never thought it would happen to me!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:20 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

@OP: I'm sure that you Will be able to press charges if in fact the authorities catch the person(s) responsible. Also it seems like the outcome is working in your favor on your Stang being repaired. Could have been worse.

@audio: since majority of the Germans owns Audi's, BMWs, Mercedes, Porche's, ect, i dont have to fear the "haters." So the Stang is Safe here per se...

Last edited by a_lopez1975; 09-28-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:30 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sethman29

Real quick... Does anyone know what would happen if they did catch the person? Would i be able to press charges or anything?
Of course you would. They'd be on the hook for felony destruction of property (Or whatever your state calls it, state laws are worded different)

Originally Posted by Entaille
sorry dude. that really blows. I am glad the cops came to try to get some prints.. I never really hear about them actually going for prints on things like this : (
Yup, real life is nothing like CSI. Especially with something like this prints are a long shot. Most douchebags that do this sort of thing know at least to wear gloves. Not to mention, if they were consciously thinking about it, they could have done that damage without touching the door much at all.

Without witnesses, security cameras with plates, fingerprints or stolen property to track at pawn shops, etc...this is a damned near impossible case to break. These cases are tough anyway, that's why it happens so often. Most of these cases that we solve in this area are solved because the ******** are caught in the act or just afterward, when they still have stolen property with them.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:34 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Real quick... Does anyone know what would happen if they did catch the person? Would i be able to press charges or anything?
Maybe, but you could definitely kick his ***!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:35 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

dude...I'm so sorry...I could not imagine seeing that when you walked out...I put myself in your shoes and Rage comes over me...WTF is this world coming to...I, like you, park WAAAAAAAY far away from everyone...Seems like we can only drive up and down our driveways safely anymore...I'm pissed for ya, but that doesn't make it any better I know...
Old 09-28-2012, 09:57 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

That sucks! At least it looks like the door itself wasn't damaged. It looks like a new door handle painted and installed is all you need...

And yes, I was waiting for the day I found my Mustang broken into when I was commuting on the train in south Florida. Seems like every week a car in the parking lot had a window broken out (one time just to get a pack of cigarettes!). I definitely don't miss that parking lot or south Florida for that matter.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:19 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Ouch, that pisses me off.. Always worried about crap like that.. A few months ago my friend's car was broken into in front of my house (luckily my car was in the garage). I couldn't believe it, I live in a very nice neighborhood with very little to no crime. This was the first time in years that I've ever heard of anyone's anything being broken into in that entire neighborhood and it really pissed me off and got me worried about my car ever since... As for pressing charges, you could if they're caught but chances are they are low lives and you wont see any monetary compensation out of it.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:34 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV, but my understanding is that if they catch the d-bag(s) that did this, the DA will have the option to prosecute for attempted breaking and entering and possibly vandalism of property, but that is up to them and your only involvement might be as a witness. The only recourse you MIGHT have would be to bring a civil suit in small claims court against them AFTER they either are convicted or take a plea for a lesser charge (provides your burden of proof in civil matters). The most I could see you getting in civil court would be reimbursed the $500 for your deductible. Either way, the time/effort/address being made part of the legal procedings/driving to and from court/etc. you might have to go through would, IMO, make the $500 you MIGHT get back not worth it to pursue... Unless you took it to Judge Judy and then you might come out ahead... Just kidding of course.

Sorry this happened to your car, bro.

Don
Old 09-28-2012, 10:58 AM
teepee542
2nd Gear Member

that sucks. I sort of agree with the others about parking way out making your car a target. However, a couple of times I have parked close because of weather and I came out to find dents from where someone had hit my car and left. One was about the size of a basketball on the right rear. $90 to the paintless dent guy to fix it. The second time I had a huge set of white marks from the drivers mirror to the back of the door. Those buffed out but I still have a dent right below the mirror that I am waiting to get fixed. Not sure if paintless will work this time.

Last edited by teepee542; 09-28-2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling/grammer I suck at typing
Old 09-28-2012, 11:45 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

If they are convicted, then you may get some compensation. I had my window smashed by a kid trying to steal my stereo. They caught him and he pled guilty. I got a check a few months later from the court for the cost of my window.

You would not need do anything in this case. Unless you witnessed something, you wouldn't even need to show up for the court date.

You can't steal a new mustang without the key and if they wanted your stereo, they'd have just smashed the window.

I think this was just a random act of vandalism. Probably some teenage kids who need to be put down.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:48 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You don't necessarily want to park way out in BFE. What you want to do is park where there is lots of traffic, near the main entrance. Theives like a nice shady, secluded spot to work their magic.

Quick Reply: Never thought it would happen to me!