Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about Plasti-dip stripes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 05:14 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

Default Thinking about Plasti-dip stripes.

So I bought my first mustang gt about a week ago and I love it. 5 speed. LOTS of mods and its sooo fast lol. It is mineral gray with black stripes (as you will see in photos). anywho, i would like to take off the racing stripes it has and the rocker panel stripes and replace them with a 16in super snake stripe. (spacing: 3/4in pinstripe, 1/4-1/2 space, 16in stripe, 1/4-1/2in space, 3/4in pinstripe) and C-stripes on the sides. I am going to also get my hood repainted to match rest of car.
Examples if you dont know what i am talking about:

SS stripes example (not big enough): http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-...ipes-0512.html

C stripes: http://www.americanmuscle.com/boss-s...pes-black.html

I plan on doing this all with plasti-dip. I haven't ever tried this on a car and i had a few questions:
1) How do you all think this stripe setup will look?
2) does plstidip harm paint?
3) can i get the plastidip glossy and not mattte
4) Any opinions or advice (useful)
Old 10-22-2012, 05:16 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

Pictures
Attached Thumbnails Thinking about Plasti-dip stripes.-photo_1.jpg   Thinking about Plasti-dip stripes.-photo_2.jpg   Thinking about Plasti-dip stripes.-photo_3.jpg   Thinking about Plasti-dip stripes.-photo_4.jpg  
Old 10-22-2012, 05:17 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

i just put my mouse over the picture and an enlargement comes up
Old 10-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

plastidip is an okay way to see how something will temporarily look, but I'd plan on getting it professionally painted if you want it to continue looking good over a long period of time.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:49 PM
sharony1994
2nd Gear Member

Plasti dip will look good for a short period of time i have a friend who did all his emblems rims grill etc in plasti dip and after 6 months it starting looking nasty. The rubber started crumbling together. If your gonna put a stripe on your car do it right.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
plastidip is an okay way to see how something will temporarily look, but I'd plan on getting it professionally painted if you want it to continue looking good over a long period of time.
Thank you! Plasti-dip looks like ****, but it's great for testing different stripe styles temporarily.

Car looks good. It's going to look great with the hood painted body color with a super snake stripe! ... and lower it.

http://www.baltimorestreetmods.com/i...products_id=50
Old 10-22-2012, 11:59 PM
BrandonsBlueStang
1st Gear Member

I agree that Plasti-dip should be a temporary thing as well. It's great to use to see what things look like but in the end, if you like it, you should have it permanently done with paint or vinyl. As for your questions

1. I've never been a huge fan of stripes but that's simply my opinion, if you like them, it's your car go for it.

2. No Plasti-dip does not harm paint, I've sprayed it on my fuel door twice now, once I left it on for about a week, the second time was on for a few months, both times it peeled right off without harm. Although, if you get over spray all over your car it can be a pain to remove. Plasti-dip peels right off when applied in thick coats, but over spray is time consuming to take off, but can still be done without harming your paint.

3. It's a matte finish, only thing you can do is keep it clean. I have yet to come across something that makes it glossy.

4. Prep Prep Prep. Cover anything you don't want to get sprayed. If I were you, I'd cover the whole car because, as I said, over spray is a pain to get off. Take your time, allow each coat plenty of time to dry, I recommend at least 5 coats. Watch multiple guides on Plasti-dipping. There are plenty of guides on Youtube. Have fun and post pics when you're done.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:12 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

There's a Plasti-Dip glossifier. Look it up at dipyourcar.com

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php?cat=6
Old 10-23-2012, 12:32 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

^I've tried that. I was hopeful at first too. It should be called "Gelifier" It just turns the surface into a gel feeling substance. Not like a glossy clearcoat over black.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:49 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cema93
So I bought my first mustang gt about a week ago and I love it. 5 speed. LOTS of mods and its sooo fast lol. It is mineral gray with black stripes (as you will see in photos). anywho, i would like to take off the racing stripes it has and the rocker panel stripes and replace them with a 16in super snake stripe. (spacing: 3/4in pinstripe, 1/4-1/2 space, 16in stripe, 1/4-1/2in space, 3/4in pinstripe) and C-stripes on the sides. I am going to also get my hood repainted to match rest of car.
Examples if you dont know what i am talking about:

SS stripes example (not big enough): http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-...ipes-0512.html

C stripes: http://www.americanmuscle.com/boss-s...pes-black.html

I plan on doing this all with plasti-dip. I haven't ever tried this on a car and i had a few questions:
1) How do you all think this stripe setup will look?
2) does plstidip harm paint?
3) can i get the plastidip glossy and not mattte
4) Any opinions or advice (useful)
Congratulations on the new car! I love the mineral gray. Your plans look pretty good with the C style and Super Snake stripes your car will look sick!

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

-Dan

Quick Reply: Thinking about Plasti-dip stripes.