Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy theft recovery.... HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:20 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

If it were me I'd forget about rebuilding the car, and I'd take the engine, transmission, and whatever else I could use (interior) and build a hell of a 60's era fastback or coupe Stang. I'd also be asking how something like that fell through the cracks long enough that they had the car for nearly 3 years without notifying the registered owner. It's not like it was some mystery as to who it belonged to.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:36 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

OP,

Spoke to a few cops/ex cops here at work to get their take on this. Just a few points.

1. You should get the police report associated with the vehicle. Find out why it was impounded. Many states have laws that say the tower and/or department must contact you within 24-72 hours of the vehicle being impounded.

2. After three years, most places would have auctioned the vehicle off, so there was a reason they were holding, unless it really did completely slip through the cracks.

3. I think in your state they contact you by mail, so if you moved, there is a chance you missed the original "hey we have your car."

4. In most places, as the owner, you're liable for the impound charges, but can go after those who stole it for the fee. At this point, if you got it back for free it may be a wash.

5. My guess is, they stole it, dumped it, and it was towed for being illegally parked. The towing company either mailed you, or simply neglected to contact you. You were notified after the Police did some sort of audit on impounded inventory.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:22 PM
paulo
1st Gear Member

Once it was impounded they should have notified you. As I read it, looks like they found it investigating a crime. If they have a suspect you could sue them in theory to repair it (good luck on that). It will have lots to look at. Brakes, bearings and ect. Congrats on recovery. Something is better than nothing.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:42 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Awesome! Post pics, I'd be curious to see what it looks like lol. Good luck with the re-build!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:29 AM
William Deck

Originally Posted by moosestang
You beat me to it!

OP, it is not your car. I'm sure your insurance company will sell it to you though.

How do you have a 2005 mustang gt stolen 3 years ago and have no insurance on it? Did you pay cash for it? Was it registered?
Yes I paid cash for the car and it was registered.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 AM
William Deck

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
OP,

Spoke to a few cops/ex cops here at work to get their take on this. Just a few points.

1. You should get the police report associated with the vehicle. Find out why it was impounded. Many states have laws that say the tower and/or department must contact you within 24-72 hours of the vehicle being impounded.

2. After three years, most places would have auctioned the vehicle off, so there was a reason they were holding, unless it really did completely slip through the cracks.

3. I think in your state they contact you by mail, so if you moved, there is a chance you missed the original "hey we have your car."

4. In most places, as the owner, you're liable for the impound charges, but can go after those who stole it for the fee. At this point, if you got it back for free it may be a wash.

5. My guess is, they stole it, dumped it, and it was towed for being illegally parked. The towing company either mailed you, or simply neglected to contact you. You were notified after the Police did some sort of audit on impounded inventory.
Thanks for speaking with your friends about this.

1. Since it was on an evidence hold for 3 years I'm not sure I want to know what crime the people who stole the car committed.

2. They were holding it as evidence in a crime.

3. I did move but it was quite some time after the car was stolen. The Impound lot had the Secretary is state contact me. They found me easily enough.

4. The impound lot charged me $196 because they could not charge me for the time the police had it on hold. Which I gladly paid to get the car back.

5. Im sure that is what happened.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:01 AM
William Deck

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
Awesome! Post pics, I'd be curious to see what it looks like lol. Good luck with the re-build!
I posted some pics on my profile. Those pics were after spending over 12 hours cleaning, rubbing out the paint, and polishing and buffing the car.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:38 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Yea, let's view the damage!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Amazing you got it back!

Matthew
Old 10-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Well, seems you got lucky then....then again, if you had money to buy it cash, you probably bought another one cash, guess you insured this one!

Quick Reply: Crazy theft recovery.... HELP!!