Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SYNC Problem - Resolution

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:49 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Default SYNC Problem - Resolution

2012 GT Premium - SYNC died yesterday. Use it a lot for bluetooth/phone/ and playing music from usb port on thumb drive. All other radio functions worked. Called SYNC support and they gave me troubleshooting steps to follow for "reset" and said if they didn't work, would need to take to dealer. Went to car followed steps and they did not work at first. Step 1 was to press the "Phone" icon on the steering wheel and then scroll until I found option they said I should find. Pressing the button once did nothing. Pressed it/held down a few more times and SYNC came back on without doing anything else - had been completely dead on my ride home, turned car on/off, pressed all buttons, etc.

Just FYI - in case this helps anyone as I was going to post on here for help if this did not work.

Wondering - Anyone else had to do this or take to dealer for it? Just wondering how common this was (I looked through the SYNC owners manual troubleshooting section but there was nothing in there about it just going out completely)
Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by rogan01
2012 GT Premium - SYNC died yesterday. Use it a lot for bluetooth/phone/ and playing music from usb port on thumb drive. All other radio functions worked. Called SYNC support and they gave me troubleshooting steps to follow for "reset" and said if they didn't work, would need to take to dealer. Went to car followed steps and they did not work at first. Step 1 was to press the "Phone" icon on the steering wheel and then scroll until I found option they said I should find. Pressing the button once did nothing. Pressed it/held down a few more times and SYNC came back on without doing anything else - had been completely dead on my ride home, turned car on/off, pressed all buttons, etc. Just FYI - in case this helps anyone as I was going to post on here for help if this did not work.
Wondering - Anyone else had to do this or take to dealer for it? Just wondering how common this was (I looked through the SYNC owners manual troubleshooting section but there was nothing in there about it just going out completely)
Hi, rogan01 -

To clarify, what issue were you experiencing? Were you not getting a response when pressing the voice command button? If so, the first line of troubleshooting would be resetting the system as per SYNC support. Instructions for both systems are below.

Standard radio:

http://Support.Ford.com/sync-technol...ter-reset-sync

Navigation:

http://Support.Ford.com/sync-technol...ync-navigation

If that doesn't help and you're comfortable will pulling the fuse for SYNC, I recommend saving yourself a trip to the dealer. The fuse panel for your vehicle is located in the lower passenger side area behind the kick panel. Open the trim panel door and remove the fuse cover for access. There will be a fuse pulling tool provided to the left the fuses and relays. The fuse for SYNC is in location 3 and needs to be left out for 3 minutes with the vehicle off.

If you're not comfortable doing this, you dealer can definitely take care of it for you. Let me know what you decide.

Jaclyn
Old 10-26-2012, 08:30 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

SYNC was completely out (standard Shaker 500) - No bluetooth icon in display or connection to blackberry phone. Pressing AUX would result in FM/AM reception only - usb device installed in port but not being read. Pressing Voice Command button did not produce any response - i.e., "Please say a command".

Just FYI - Instructions provided by SYNC support were different than those in the link. I was told to press the "Phone icon" on the steering wheel (verbally by the support person - maybe there was a miscommunication on one or both sides) and then use the scroll buttons on the wheel to reach System Reset option. This did not work but I repeatedly pressed the Phone button (and held own for about 5 seconds) and SYNC came back on.

No mention was made of the fuse reset - so thank you for that step/option. If it happens again I will try the process described in the link.

Just wondering

1. what could have caused this,
2. how common it is and
3. if I can expect it to happen again. Never had this problem in 16 months I owned a 2011 GT Premium so curious as to possible causes and frequency of occurrence.

Thanks for the follow up support.

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hi, rogan01 -

To clarify, what issue were you experiencing? Were you not getting a response when pressing the voice command button? If so, the first line of troubleshooting would be resetting the system as per SYNC support. Instructions for both systems are below.

Standard radio:

http://Support.Ford.com/sync-technol...ter-reset-sync

Navigation:

http://Support.Ford.com/sync-technol...ync-navigation

If that doesn't help and you're comfortable will pulling the fuse for SYNC, I recommend saving yourself a trip to the dealer. The fuse panel for your vehicle is located in the lower passenger side area behind the kick panel. Open the trim panel door and remove the fuse cover for access. There will be a fuse pulling tool provided to the left the fuses and relays. The fuse for SYNC is in location 3 and needs to be left out for 3 minutes with the vehicle off.

If you're not comfortable doing this, you dealer can definitely take care of it for you. Let me know what you decide.

Jaclyn

Last edited by rogan01; 10-26-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:33 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by rogan01
No mention was made of the fuse reset - so thank you for that step/option. If it happens again I will try the process described in the link.
Just wondering

1. what could have caused this,
2. how common it is and
3. if I can expect it to happen again. Never had this problem in 16 months I owned a 2011 GT Premium so curious as to possible causes and frequency of occurrence.

Thanks for the follow up support.
You're welcome, rogan01. I'm first level troubleshooting so I can't speculate on what would have caused this and my department doesn't track that information. However, if the issue persists, please let me know.

Jaclyn