Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should i buy a GT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 06:28 AM
maybyGT

Default Should i buy a GT?

Hey guys,
I have been thinking about buying a 2013 GT. I was wonderring what you guys think about the car and what you like and dont like about it. sometimes test driving a car does not give you all that you need to know about how the car will be later on. was it worth the money or would you recomend getting something else. i really like the way these cars look and addore the way they sound with a boarla exhaust. i have not test drove one but i wanted to get your input so i can see what your consernes about the car is and i can test driving looking for these things.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Rolling13
2nd Gear Member

Rent one. I did. I don't think there is anything close for the money and more.

Last edited by Rolling13; 10-29-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:48 AM
acctingman
1st Gear Member

Let me chime in here for a second. First, I don't own one....yet. Mine arrives 11/13!!

I test drove one. You're 100% right about how a test drive isn't enough to go off of to decide if you want that car or not, however, it's a prereq in the decision making process.

As far as problems concerning the 13's; I haven't heard of too many issues. Remember one thing while researching this. People are going to, for the most part, post about problems/issues/complaints over the positives. The people who LOVE thier stangs and have no issues with them are too busy driving them to post about it

If your finances are in line and you're ready to pull the trigger...DO IT.

It's taken me 3+ years to finally pull the trigger. For me, it was a matter of finances. My budget will be tight, but doable.

If you're 100% sure, why wait?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Jarrod@latemodel
Former Sponsor

No problems here. Had a 2012, as soon as the 13's came out I went and traded in the 12. I put 7100 hard miles on it before selling it a few weeks ago. Money was right, so I let it go. Now I sit and wait for the 15!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:09 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Hey folks!

Just a reminder: I can track your new Mustang orders and keep an eye on its journey to your dealership. Send me a PM with your order number/dealer name or VIN and I'll give you the details on your new ride!

Have a great day,
Crystal
Old 10-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Rolling13
2nd Gear Member

Crystal helped me with my Del.Date and it helped my nerves a lot!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:23 PM
nj07
2nd Gear Member

Go buy a used gt 500 thats worth the money thab spending 38,000-44,000 on a over priced regular gt believe me!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

You can't lose with that car. Finances?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Mr2013GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maybyGT
Hey guys,
I have been thinking about buying a 2013 GT. I was wonderring what you guys think about the car and what you like and dont like about it. sometimes test driving a car does not give you all that you need to know about how the car will be later on. was it worth the money or would you recomend getting something else. i really like the way these cars look and addore the way they sound with a boarla exhaust. i have not test drove one but i wanted to get your input so i can see what your consernes about the car is and i can test driving looking for these things.

Thanks
"Should I get a GT"? Even if it was a used 4.6L, i'd say "well yeah, of course you should." Lol

That being said, i've owned a 2012 GT, manual, 3.31's and I traded that in on a 2013 GT premium w/ brembos, manual, 3.73's. I just thought the 2013's were a more refined car, reguardless of the brembo package I got with it, but now that I have a Brembo package, there's a massive difference there, not only braking, but handling.

My 2013 is about as stiff as a Boss 302 in terms of turn-in and steering response, it comes with a strut tower brace, stiffer sway bars, springs and shocks, and GT500 lower control arms over the regular GT's. Different sport steering calibration too. The shocks aren't TOO stiff though, it's a great mix. Tires are also wider 255 Pzeros as opposed to the 235's on the non-brembo GT's. I can't tell if the 8 extra hp make a difference, it feels like improved throttle response more than anything, but when I REALLY get on it, the 3.73's make the biggest difference. Properly big difference.

I would have to say though, any 2013 GT would be VERY much worth it. You'll be smiling every time you so much as squeeze the throttle with your big toe. If you get a non-brembo GT with 3.31's, you'll be wheel-hopping all the way through 1st gear and you might not have the acceleration you wanted, but it will be a VERY fun ride nonetheless, and I was able to clear 26 mpg, almost 27 mpg with 3.31's, and 5th gear pulled all the way to the 155 mph governor on my 2012. There are videos of 3.31 rear-end 5th gear Coyote pulls that go over 160 with a cold air intake and a tune, which removes the governor.

BTW, to get everything out of a new GT, put your foot on the brake and hold the traction control button for 5 seconds. That turns everything 100% off. I've had people ignorantly say the new coyotes "weren't that fast" etc., but then I figured out they didn't have the electronic aids turned all the way off.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Mr2013GT
1st Gear Member

Oh and i'm approaching 5,500 miles on the 2013 now, couldn't be happier. It's quite fast right off the showroom floor, handling is great, brakes are great, power delivery is immediate and the transmission/clutch are performing flawlessly. It also feels like they made some sort of improvement to the clutch since '11-'12.

I put an easy 1,000 miles on it when I got it. After that, i've driven it hard every time i've gone anywere. It's a beast of a machine. I just keep in mind, always warm it up and go easy for the first few minutes until the oil temp reads "normal" and cylinder head temp reads at least 180-190 degrees. It stays around 200-210 degrees during hard driving, sometimes dropping to 195 degrees. I am getting used to the power now though, and am planning on doing a Boss 302 intake manifold, cold air intake/tune and leaving the stock exhaust for now, until I can afford the Borla ATAK cat-back without sacrificing food for that month etc. With those mods, I should be seeing over 400 rwhp, meaning close to 500 hp @ crank, and I should be able to give most stock GT500's a hard time.

Here's a guy with the mods I want, plus long tube headers, which i'm going to do without:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRv1...Y&feature=plcp

Last edited by Mr2013GT; 10-29-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Should i buy a GT?