Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have this issue or experience it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 09:34 PM
pcgumshoe

Default anyone have this issue or experience it?

Pls excuse the newb errors if i make do make any..*

I have a 2013 Mustang V6.. it has a prem & sport pkg (essentially asthetics and leather...). Within the first week, I experienced a little slip when making turns at low speeds, never thought much of it. I don't really notice it during highways. Checked the tire pressure and it was fine. However, the 3rd week, when making a right turn after a complete stop, the car happened to glide through 3 lanes (as if it were slidding accross a frozen street). I live in TX... the sky was clear, no wet st, no oil... and definately no tire marks (I was probably accl to 15-20 mph) Which I find it really odd. I contacted Ford, and they were abrupt and quick to send me to the legal department. ArggghhhDoes anyone know why the car with less than 1k miles on it would do that? Yes, it did hit the median and wrecked the car as it hit the median. The stock tires are pirelli and 19 inch. No mods to the car.
Thank you for any help and input
Old 11-03-2012, 07:37 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Hmmmm.....here you said the tire pressure was 40 psi....

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...urning-515174/

Still stick with my comment there.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:09 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

33-35 psi is the proper pressure, weird event. I can't figure it?
Old 11-03-2012, 09:39 AM
pcgumshoe

sorry... didn't know Ashton already posted in this forum. If that's the case... why would the dealership overinflate the tire so much?? I'm no car expert, but you would figure a car off the lot is safe to drive.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Mr2013GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pcgumshoe
Pls excuse the newb errors if i make do make any..*

I have a 2013 Mustang V6.. it has a prem & sport pkg (essentially asthetics and leather...). Within the first week, I experienced a little slip when making turns at low speeds, never thought much of it. I don't really notice it during highways. Checked the tire pressure and it was fine. However, the 3rd week, when making a right turn after a complete stop, the car happened to glide through 3 lanes (as if it were slidding accross a frozen street). I live in TX... the sky was clear, no wet st, no oil... and definately no tire marks (I was probably accl to 15-20 mph) Which I find it really odd. I contacted Ford, and they were abrupt and quick to send me to the legal department. ArggghhhDoes anyone know why the car with less than 1k miles on it would do that? Yes, it did hit the median and wrecked the car as it hit the median. The stock tires are pirelli and 19 inch. No mods to the car.
Thank you for any help and input
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...urning-515174/

You said here ^^^ that your tire/rim size was 18 inches, but now, you're saying 19. What's up with that? Anyway, are you sure you didn't simply overcorrect after the back end stepped out under power? I find it hard to believe that any new Mustang owner fails to notice the button next to the hazards/trunk release that clearly shows a picture of a car without traction, and then pushes said button....lol...it's a mustang, after all.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:32 PM
white08gt
1st Gear Member

the 197's are known to have bad oversteer, coupled with higher tire pressure and possibly having tire shine on the tread you can get in trouble quickly. couple of weeks ago, temp about 80, tsc was on and i grabbed 2nd gear and the car broke loose to the right and steered into the turn ,came back to left too far, corrected again. it was like i was on ice, running 285/40/18's with nitto's 555. my car is lowered with che lca's and from what i've been reading up on the combo of the lca's and springs stiffer, just compound the problem. great for straight line, but make it oversteer badly. i thought the traction control would have taken over but it was already into a hard slide. his car is stock but still prone to oversteer, coupled with higher tire pressure you have less tire contact.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:59 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

May be the stability control, on 2 occasions my stability control kicked on for no reason while driving straight at 40-50 mph on dry pavement. It caused the car to veer to the right. It hasn't happened since. On both occasions I had just recently washed the car, so I assumed I got tire spray or soap on the sensors or something.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:04 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Just think about what happened. You have a road and a tire making contact. There's only so much that can go wrong. WOT

I am not mechanic, but this does not seem to be anyone's issue, but your foot. This complaint seems impossible.

HOpefully, someone else will chime in.

My car does it too. Only when I turn off TC and punch it
Old 11-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Steve St.Laurent
1st Gear Member

You didn't mention it but did you happen to use armor all or something like that on the tires? Just before this happened or ever? I've known people who have done that on their sidewalls at car shows and accidentally got some up on the tread and it makes it just like driving on ice. That's about the only way I could see this happening and not leaving marks.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

There isn't enough information. Not even having 40 psi in the tires explains it either.

The easiest explanation without having been there is that there was some foreign substance on the tires, be it tire shine, Armorall, or the remains from a puddle of coolant that you either ran through or sat in at the stop immediately before this happened (we do know that you got it stopped without any drama, so it seems like you'd had to have driven through something after the stop was essentially completed).

ABS not only prevents wheel lockup, it also prevents any durable skid marks from being created that way. So if you didn't hear the tires squalling from heavily sliding sideways, there was pretty much zero chance that any visible skid marks would be there a day later (from your other thread).

As a side note, you're putting way too much reliance on other people for their technologies for your own good. Ultimately, maintaining control of your own vehicle is your responsibility.

white08 - S197's do not inherently oversteer. On the contrary; the behavior is mildly to moderately understeerish. You can make a stock Mustang oversteer with too much throttle for the cornering conditions, but that's a matter of driver error, not poor vehicle design. You can make it oversteer with poorly chosen aftermarket parts and their adjustments or settings, but that again isn't a basic fault of the Mustang.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-04-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply: anyone have this issue or experience it?