Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the DEAL!? My Gt has no Bottom End Anymore!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:08 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

When my clutches in my rear end wore out it felt like I had lost a lot of low end torque. Throttle response was crap. Something to consider.

Plug change is simple, just follow the tsb. Soak them overnight with throttle body cleaner or similar product. I used a torque wrench to break mine free. They didn't budge till 55 ft lbs.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:52 AM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

What should I look for when finding a shop to clean the fuel system/injectors. I have called a few shops now and they all say there is a 3 step process one including a tank treatment (AKA pouring a $5 bottle of something in the tank). None of the local shops pull the injectors to clean them except one who quoted me $45.00 each to clean!!!

Last edited by AJSpags; 11-13-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJSpags
What should I look for when finding a shop to clean the fuel system/injectors. I have called a few shops now and they all say there is a 3 step process one including a tank treatment (AKA pouring a $5 bottle of something in the tank). None of the local shops pull the injectors to clean them except one who quoted me $45.00 each to clean!!!
Pretty much what they would be doing is pouring seafoam in your tank and you have already done that. There is a more technical way to clean them and that requires hooking them up to a machine and cleaning them.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:14 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

If you want to really clean your injectors the right way, you could send them to RC Engineering... They will clean/balance/calibrate your injectors for a fee and send you the print out showing their flowrates. Downside is that it is expensive... approx $24-28 per injector. You can see their page here for details.

Don
Old 11-13-2012, 02:58 PM
solaratomic
2nd Gear Member

If the injectors are in question, why not just buy a set of low mileage takeoffs? If you can still find them. They used to be everywhere when I had my 05. I'm sure you could probably get a whole set for 30-50 bucks. As a matter of fact I gave away a set that I bought that was in a parts lot. That's about all you could do with them back then.

Last edited by solaratomic; 11-13-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:41 PM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

I will start looking around, it would be at least worth the try. Thanks
AJ
Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Don't sweat the plug change. I was totally wigged out... score the Lisle tool... just for insurance if nothing else..

I had about 94k miles on at the time.. Lessons learned..

1) Night before, crack them 1/4 turn. I did closer to 1/8 turn. Had 3 that the magic solvent didn't penetrate. Broke 2 of them.

2) For magic penetrant.. I used a combination of carb cleaner, PB blaster, ATF fluid and acetone... all the wonder solvents together. Everyone one that was cracked far enough, came out.

3) If you do break one, the electrode comes out. This leaves a hole into the cylinder. I took toilet paper, made a small wad and stuck it over the plug before pushing it in. I think this worked on the second plug.

Vid...

Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 AM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by robs
Don't sweat the plug change. I was totally wigged out... score the Lisle tool... just for insurance if nothing else..

1) Night before, crack them 1/4 turn. I did closer to 1/8 turn. Had 3 that the magic solvent didn't penetrate. Broke 2 of them.

2) For magic penetrant.. I used a combination of carb cleaner, PB blaster, ATF fluid and acetone... all the wonder solvents together. Everyone one that was cracked far enough, came out.

3) If you do break one, the electrode comes out. This leaves a hole into the cylinder. I took toilet paper, made a small wad and stuck it over the plug before pushing it in. I think this worked on the second plug.

Vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA9WE...1&feature=plcp
Seems to be good advice. One of the best Penetrating oils I've used: Kroil
Old 11-14-2012, 09:38 AM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by robs

Vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA9WE...1&feature=plcp
Hey thanks so much for that video, by far the best one out there...should be made a sticky if it's not already. Well you definitely got my confidence up! Quick question though...when you use the Lisle tool to break the porcelain do particles fall into the cylinders?
AJ
Old 11-21-2012, 09:31 AM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

So this weekend I am attempting to Change out the plugs since the car is 7 years old and about to reach 76500 miles, I have been running seafoam in this last tank to hopefully help a little. But here is my question as I am still chasing this lack of bottom end TQ. Yesterday I figured I might as well try cleaning out the Throttle body again just to make sure that wasn't the issue, I had the hood open after putting everything back together and turned the key to the ON position, I then heard the motor priming itself and it sounded very strange.

My question is what is that sound when the key is turned to the ON position, it sounds like a fuel pump issue but coming from under the hood, is it the injectors priming the cylinders?

Quick Reply: Whats the DEAL!? My Gt has no Bottom End Anymore!