Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005+ Mustang Engine Bay Cleaning (the 500th thread about this)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 01:27 PM
v6LX

Thumbs down 2005+ Mustang Engine Bay Cleaning (the 500th thread about this)

Its just endless threads about this but can we finally get to the point..

Some say cover certain things, some say cover nothing.. some say cover 1 thing..

some say have the engine warm, some say cold

some say use pressure, some say don't

some say use steam, some say don't

My engines never been cleaned, ever. The parts where put on the car new in the Detroit factory and it was shipped.

The engine is filthy..

Is there an "official" thread for this? Any videos?

Everyone here on this forum seems to have extreme mods, mine is just bone stock. Nothing fancy.. Would I be good just covering the alternator and power washing everything? If I did it by hand it would take 5 hours, its CAKED on FILTH!

To be honest I was just going to pressure wash it at a self car was it has an "engine bay" setting there.. I did a search and heard of people getting 5 check engine lights popping up after or the car smoking, or not starting.. so this seems to be a nightmare waiting to happen..

Any solid advice, pictures on what to cover would be a big help
Old 11-12-2012, 03:21 PM
up_yours_7
3rd Gear Member

I have always pressure washed my engine bay but i try to limit how much water I spray on the alternator and fuse box. The rest I blast down and have had no problems for the past five years i have owned the car.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:45 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

I mix a lil simple green where its needed and hose it down, then i use an air compressor to dry the hard to reach spots, back to black on the wire loom and other black parts quick detailer on the paint basically just clean it and try an cover up the fuse box and air filter, i clean it cold though so as not to put cold water on hot headers and valve cove
Old 11-12-2012, 11:56 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by up_yours_7
I have always pressure washed my engine bay but i try to limit how much water I spray on the alternator and fuse box. The rest I blast down and have had no problems for the past five years i have owned the car.
Me too. Done it for many years on a number of cars. Never had a problem. If the car has a distributor, then you should cover or avoid spraying it. I stay away from the alternator and the fuse box also.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:50 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Try this sometime.

Take a glass. Fill it with water, and then put it in the microwave untill it boils. USE A GLOVE and then pull it out quickly dump the boiling water in the sink, and then fill the hot glass with ice water. Not every time but a good amount of the time, the rapid temperature change will shatter the glass.

That sir is why I never wash a hot motor
Old 11-13-2012, 08:10 AM
nolimits

Everything under your hood is designed to be water resistant. It's good to be cautious around electrical in general, but you're not likely going to cause an issue. I would prefer a cold engine, but more often than not I wind up spraying a warm one. If you have an open element filter it'd be good to cover it up, or at the very least avoid it while spraying.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:21 AM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stags
Try this sometime.

Take a glass. Fill it with water, and then put it in the microwave untill it boils. USE A GLOVE and then pull it out quickly dump the boiling water in the sink, and then fill the hot glass with ice water. Not every time but a good amount of the time, the rapid temperature change will shatter the glass.

That sir is why I never wash a hot motor
That is the way I feel about washing a hot engine!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

I clean my motor cool or maybe warm never hot. I dont cover anything, I use more of a fan out spray of water not a stream of water. I use my Meguiars APC+ let it dwell for a few mins then just rinse off. After that i get out my blower and i blow away any water left to make sure it doesnt dry with water spots and to remove any standing water left anywhere. I have never had one issue doing it this way.
My previous 2010 GT motor
Name:  JOND6624.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  119.4 KB
Old 11-13-2012, 03:44 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The only thing I wash under the hood is the air filter!

Old 11-13-2012, 05:54 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

I place a platic WalMart ytpe bag over my CAI intake with the motor cold. Go to any motorcycle shop and buy a spray bottle of "Bike Brite". Follow the instructions. It is made to clean motorcycles and make them shine and the plactic parts look new. A good thorough, light rinse with a pressure washer ( kind of held back ) will amaze you when it dries. I have been doing this for years and have never had a problem. Like the posters above though, it needs to be on a cold or at least cool engine. I soak down just about everything under the hood including fender wells, master cylinder, all of the plastic fan shroud, etc. I think you really will be amazed if you try this.

Quick Reply: 2005+ Mustang Engine Bay Cleaning (the 500th thread about this)