Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door ding protection

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Like others have said, be smart about where you park if possible. But also be aware that the further away you park the more your car becomes a target of foul play. A fellow member on this forum had his car vandalized while shopping at a sporting goods store. It was too far away for the cameras to provide a good identity of the perps.

Obviously it can happen anywhere, anytime. Some things you just can't control.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Don't drive it anywhere and keep it in the garage...

Seriously, my Stang is not my DD and is a garage queen. Rarely do I drive her anyplace that I park her on a lot or on a street. On the otherhand, my wifes Stang is her DD and she does her best to protect her car despite the azzholes of the world. One of her coworkers even backed into her front bumper. It's been fixed at the coworkers expense but if she had been on the rag at the time, there'd be one less coworker alive.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:10 PM
acctingman
1st Gear Member

Well, I don't have the luxary of having a second car so my Stang is my DD.

Has anyone tried something like this?

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/park...Fal7QgodMFkAyA
Old 11-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

that's a bit extreme imo. I bet it would get stolen or encourage people to 'test it'.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:21 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Every time I park my car at my school, I park an entire level up from where everyone else parks to prevent this. Also, get used to spotting where cameras are in parking lots and try to park in their view if you can. Not really anything you can "do" to prevent this, just take precautionary measures and hope for the best.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

For myself, its all about those corner spots. The best spot in a row is always the corner on the right side. Hug that curb, and hope for the best. Manage your routine. Is there a spot at work that you can park without worry if only you got to work 15 minutes earlier than you do now?

As far as restaurants and shopping, the best thing you can have is a significant other that understands. (Even though she may snicker at you from time to time as you shiver while walking across a parking lot in the winter air.)
Old 11-20-2012, 06:37 PM
05WIMustang
1st Gear Member

I wish car manufacturers wouldn't take away door ding protection like they do (ie my former DD 2005 Ford 500 had door ding guards and the newer ones didn't). Cheap.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:31 AM
The Pony

Ditto on most of the posting regarding door dings. Park far away from other peeps that don't care when they open there doors; however, not too far always as to make make your "door ding avoidance" noticeable.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:37 AM
The Pony

Originally Posted by SD 197
As mentioned above, try to park in corners and away from other cars.

But for me, I don't worry about them anymore. I've discovered the joys of Paintless Ding Removal. I just wait every year until I get a few, and then get my PDR guy to come over and remove them. They usually will give you a deal on multiple dings.
Good idea!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:15 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
Smart parking is your best protection. My car lives in end spots, hugged on the curb. I'm the guy who rolls down the window and hangs his head out when parking. 71k on the clock and still ding free :O
Same here! I would walk a mile just to get a good parking spot. Notice in my sig. picture, I was at Wal-Mart parked in the last row at the end of the parking lot.

Quick Reply: Door ding protection