Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Questions about BAMA tunes

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:52 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HypromanGT
Back when I purchased mine, they were selling "torque" and "race". Now it seems they've done away with the former and spun off a third (or probably branched the "torque" tune into "street" and "performance", with some changes between the two).
Thank you Hyproman - That answers my 1st question - makes sense as I was sure I had seen read "torque tune" somewhere here. Much appreciated!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:28 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rogan01
First - I have a 2012 GT Automatic

1. I have read mention of a Bama "torque tune". Any info on what that is? - I have only seen street, performance and race tunes offered.

2. Which tune, if any, would be best to help when shifting an auto at highway speed (60 - 65) to accelerate to pass. For example, the stock tune (remember this is an auto) seems to shift to 5th at first and then upon further depressing the accelerator, seems to shift to maybe 3rd. (note: i come from 4 manual gts so still learning the auto shift characteristics) - no way to tell for sure if this happens -it just feels that way. Any way a Bama (or other) tune can adjust this shifting behavior?

Thanks to all for your help.

rogan01,

1. I realize this was already answered for you, but just to verify- Our "Torque Tune" is now called our "Street Tune," so it looks like you already have it currently. The Performance tune is a little more calm down load in the power band, but pulls a lot harder mid-ranged on up to high rpm. If you're looking for more low end power cruising on the high-way, I would stick with the Street tune then.

2. The characteristics of your current transmission set-up sounds pretty normal, actually. Most automatic cars will behave very similarly when trying to accelerate during high load/ low rpm. That being said, I do think we could make some adjustments for you, to change the shifting behavior more towards your liking!

If you want to shoot me over any previous order number of yours, via PM, I'll be happy to get you hooked up with our lead tuner Mike Wilson. Mike, has been tuning Mustangs for more than 10yrs and needless to say, he's very experienced with Mustang automatic transmissions. I'm sure he'll be able to adjust the transmission settings more towards your preference!

Shane

Originally Posted by duckbubbles
My auto acts the same way and I hate that. The BAMA tunes do nothing to correct that. Right now I am back to stock. Race tune upshifts too abruptly during normal driving, street tune isn't much different to stock as far as I can tell. Maybe they are manual drivers, but a lot of people on here rave about these tunes. Wide open throttle with the race tune is pretty good, but when you use it .05% of the time, it's not worth it the rest of the time.

I've never heard about the torque tune and it wasn't offered when I ordered my tuner.

Frank

Frank,

Have you tried our Bama "Street" tunes? The shifts are much more smooth, yet crisp than the Race tune. At the very least, it should feel much better than stock.

If you have tried the "Street" settings and are not happy with the results, we could definitely make some adjustments for you, until we have just the characteristics you're looking for. PM me any order number from AM and I'll have the Bama Team in contact with your ASAP. I'd really like to make sure you're satisfied with our tunes!

Shane

Originally Posted by Spork3245
Hey don't mean to hijack the thread but I've been looking into getting a tuner as well and you're the first person with a 2013 to mention having one - Do you think it's worth the money for the tuner? Is it true it gives a huge mpg increase? I didn't get my 2013 GT for gas mileage, but if spending $350-ish on a tuner is going to net me an extra 5-ish mpg on the highway, I'd be crazy not to buy one

Spork3245,

Typically, with just a custom Bama tune, our customers see a 1-2mpg increase. Then with the combo of a CAI and custom Bama tune, we've seen a 2-3mpg increase with the 4v 5.0's. Now keep in mind, this also depends on your driving behaviors. If you're aggressive on the throttle, then you certainly won't see any kind of increase.

I hope this helps answer your question. Let me know if there's anything else you need to clarify!

Shane
Old 12-04-2012, 06:09 AM
scottw2010
1st Gear Member

Why buy a sports car if you are worried about mileage? That's what Prius' are for.
While I like the milage my Mustang gets, I really don't care. My 74 vette gets maybe 12-15. Of course I like it a lot better when I get around 7 mpg. Of course that leads to bald tires too.

If you want a tune for performance, by all means get one. If not, drive what you have for now (which is pretty darn good) and make a different decision later on.