Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger side mirror housing came off, "pop" it back on? (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Goosifer

Unhappy Passenger side mirror housing came off, "pop" it back on? (pictures)

Hi all, long time lurker.

I managed to pop my passenger side mirror off (2012 GT Premium) and it is now hanging loose. The electronics still work but I can't figure out how to pop it back on.

I searched the forum and found a manual but it doesn't bring me closer to a solution.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1068&viewfi...ded%20View.pdf

Here are some pictures. I guess there should be some kind of plug that connects the housing with the panel on the side of the car.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Last I checked, those three silver nuts on the inside are what holds it on. I appears you "broke" it off of the mounting portion.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Goosifer

Originally Posted by AzPete
Last I checked, those three silver nuts on the inside are what holds it on. I appears you "broke" it off of the mounting portion.
Thanks,

The three silver nuts seems to hold the inside and outside portion in place and aren't visible from the outside. What I can't figure out is how the housing and the outside assembly are connected somce there is no visible damage or loose parts.

Did I break off some plastic piece (last image)?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:20 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Yes......Have not looked at one for a while but I believe the outer and inner panels are held together with some molded plastic mounting points.

Remove the inside panel on the drivers side and remove the three nuts and look at how it is done there.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Goosifer

Yes......Have not looked at one for a while but I believe the outer and inner panels are held together with some molded plastic mounting points.

Remove the inside panel on the drivers side and remove the three nuts and look at how it is done there.
You are right, found this:

The mirror is designed to snap off at two plastic pins, which require that you buy an expensive piece of plastic to fix it. I glued the assembly back together using polysterene cement (scale model glue), and used self-tapping screws to hold the mirror on instead of the broken plastic pins. I let the glued-together parts cure overnight before putting it all back together.

I'll give this a try and will take some pictures. If it works it could be useful for someone else.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:45 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

The mounting pins on the passenger mirrors seem to be for S H I T E... I snapped my passenger side off on my 2011 and had to replace it.

I thought about epoxy and the cement, but in the end I justordered a new assembly $250, looks like it never happened.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:51 PM
bones302
2nd Gear Member

just get some epoxy from the auto parts store. prep the parts right and you will be golden. just make sure you do everything off the car.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Wow. Good job Ford. Guess Ill have to be on the look out for this on my mirrors.

Matthew
Old 12-12-2012, 02:21 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Wow. Good job Ford. Guess Ill have to be on the look out for this on my mirrors.

Matthew
Really...Ford did so bad...how many times does one hit a mirror hard enough to break it???? Don't remember hitting a mirror on any of my vehicles....but I have only been driving since '66 so I may not have enough experience.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Really...Ford did so bad...how many times does one hit a mirror hard enough to break it???? Don't remember hitting a mirror on any of my vehicles....but I have only been driving since '66 so I may not have enough experience.
I was waxing mine when it snapped off. I don't use a lot of pressure to remove spray wax, but as I was wiping it down... whammo.

I was pissed. Of course being a Sunday made me angry as I had to wait , and then wait more while they ordered it.

Quick Reply: Passenger side mirror housing came off, "pop" it back on? (pictures)