Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

150K Miles - What Service I Do To Keep It Forever?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 11:43 AM
JoshyGT
3rd Gear Member

Default 150K Miles - What Service I Do To Keep It Forever?

Hello again, long time no post.

I just rolled 150K miles on my beauty and have some extra cash to put into it for preventative and basic maintenance. I'm at a point now in the ownership of this vehicle where I'm more concerned with fuel economy and lifetime than I am performance upgrades (existing upgrades listed in sig).

All four tires are nearly new but I will need brakes. I have pretty good knowledge of vehicles and services done to vehicles but I'm no expert.

My question is this: at this mileage, what services would you recommend to ensure my vehicle lasts another 150K without unexpected major service?

I was thinking:
  • fuel filter (last replaced over 60K miles ago)
  • brake fluid exchange (I'm not a big believer in "wallet flushes" but with high miles it may be good to have fresh fluid)
  • clutch replacement
  • injector service (I use only Shell 93 octane and have been since 20K miles)
  • replace serpentine belt
  • replace rotors (They may have one more "turn" in them but I'd rather be safe than sorry)
  • swap out spark plugs (last replaced at 100K miles)

I'm not sure if any of this is valuable or if I'm missing something important. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by JoshyGT
Hello again, long time no post.

I just rolled 150K miles on my beauty and have some extra cash to put into it for preventative and basic maintenance. I'm at a point now in the ownership of this vehicle where I'm more concerned with fuel economy and lifetime than I am performance upgrades (existing upgrades listed in sig).

My question is this: at this mileage, what services would you recommend to ensure my vehicle lasts another 150K without unexpected major service?

I was thinking:
  • fuel filter (last replaced over 60K miles ago)
  • brake fluid exchange (I'm not a big believer in "wallet flushes" but with high miles it may be good to have fresh fluid)
  • clutch replacement
  • injector service (I use only Shell 93 octane and have been since 20K miles)
  • replace serpentine belt
  • replace rotors (They may have one more "turn" in them but I'd rather be safe than sorry)
  • swap out spark plugs (last replaced at 100K miles)

I'm not sure if any of this is valuable or if I'm missing something important. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I would say you are past due on all of your fluids since you haven't mentioned any of them being done (except maybe for oil)

* Fuel filter should've been done 30k to 40K ago.
* Brake fluid flush, should be done every 2 or 3 years regardless. It is very hygroscopic and once water gets in there it will corrode your brake system from the inside out.
* Injector service is a waste of money unless you have a problem that requires it. If you run name brand fuel like you have been, they have detergents that keep out the varnish and keep the system clean. A flush is typically just running a concentrate of those exact same detergents.
* Rotors - don't replace them, turn them. Replacing them won't guarantee there won't be problems (what if they are not true to begin with?)
* Plugs, 100K...really? Who did them last? You will need to be very careful you don't break any pulling them out since a 4.6L is notorious for carbon build up on the nose.
* Cooling system flush every 3 years or so.
* Tranny fluid change (auto or manual) - every 60K on auto, or 100K on manual.
* Differential Fluid change - 50 or 100K
* P/S steering system flush - every 4 or 5 years so.
* Clutch probably a good idea.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:50 PM
JoshyGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
I would say you are past due on all of your fluids since you haven't mentioned any of them being done (except maybe for oil)

* Fuel filter should've been done 30k to 40K ago.
* Brake fluid flush, should be done every 2 or 3 years regardless. It is very hygroscopic and once water gets in there it will corrode your brake system from the inside out.
* Injector service is a waste of money unless you have a problem that requires it. If you run name brand fuel like you have been, they have detergents that keep out the varnish and keep the system clean. A flush is typically just running a concentrate of those exact same detergents.
* Rotors - don't replace them, turn them. Replacing them won't guarantee there won't be problems (what if they are not true to begin with?)
* Plugs, 100K...really? Who did them last? You will need to be very careful you don't break any pulling them out since a 4.6L is notorious for carbon build up on the nose.
* Cooling system flush every 3 years or so.
* Tranny fluid change (auto or manual) - every 60K on auto, or 100K on manual.
* Differential Fluid change - 50 or 100K
* P/S steering system flush - every 4 or 5 years so.
* Clutch probably a good idea.
Thanks for the info! One thing I wanted to ask you about - why did you say "100k....really?"? I had Ford replace them at about 100K miles with the same factory Platinum plugs that were in there - rated at 100K. Are you saying it's crazy I am replacing them or crazy that I haven't replaced them?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:26 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the info! One thing I wanted to ask you about - why did you say "100k....really?"? I had Ford replace them at about 100K miles with the same factory Platinum plugs that were in there - rated at 100K. Are you saying it's crazy I am replacing them or crazy that I haven't replaced them?
He's saying its bad that you hadn't. With the 4.6, the carbon build-up on the two piece Ford plugs can cause them to break when you take them out. You should probably change those again now rather than later.

Also like derf said, definitely flush out all of your fluids and put in fresh. Should keep the car running happily!
Old 12-18-2012, 09:34 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

As others have said, new fluids down the line.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:11 AM
JoshyGT
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback! So here's what I've decided on and the costs I received to have it all done at once with discounts. I'm curious of everyone's opinion on the total cost of having this done:

NOTES: I'm told there's no cabin air filter in this car but I swear I've seen this replaced before? All "fluid exchanges" are with Valvoline chemicals.

Change engine coolant - $100
Replace fuel filter - $60
Flush power steering fluid - $85
Change transmission fluid (manual) - $68
Change rear axle lubricant - $145
Replace accessory drive belt - $105
Replace spark plugs - $315 with ford parts, $261 with my parts
Flush brake fluid - $95
Fuel injector service - $100
Front & rear brake pad replacement + machine rotors - $300
Oil & filter change (Mobile1) - $75, $50 with my parts

Total (using Ford's parts) - $1542.12
Total (using my parts) - $1457.98
Total after additional discounts using my parts - $1400

Does this sound reasonable as far as cost goes?

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2012, 11:33 AM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Are you doing any of this yourself? Some of these you can do in your driveway.

I can't imagine paying someone $60 to change my fuel filter when it's only a ~$10 part. Especially when it only takes 10 seconds to do.

Doing a coolant flush is pretty straight forward. Drain the radiator, and inspect old fluid, refill. Can't imagine spending $100 on that. Wouldn't pay someone to change my oil either.

That's just my $.02

Good luck with the maintenance!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by pdonket
He's saying its bad that you hadn't. With the 4.6, the carbon build-up on the two piece Ford plugs can cause them to break when you take them out. You should probably change those again now rather than later.

Also like derf said, definitely flush out all of your fluids and put in fresh. Should keep the car running happily!
^^ This. OP, be VERY careful removing the spark plugs. There is a TSB you can follow for the proper procedure to remove the plugs and significantly reduce the chance you will break one. Taking it to a shop is not guaranteed to avoid the issue as even Ford will tell you they are not responsible for breaking them and paying for the associated repair costs.

Last edited by Derf00; 12-18-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Thanks for the feedback! So here's what I've decided on and the costs I received to have it all done at once with discounts. I'm curious of everyone's opinion on the total cost of having this done:

NOTES: I'm told there's no cabin air filter in this car but I swear I've seen this replaced before? All "fluid exchanges" are with Valvoline chemicals.

Change engine coolant - $100
Replace fuel filter - $60
Flush power steering fluid - $85
Change transmission fluid (manual) - $68
Change rear axle lubricant - $145
Replace accessory drive belt - $105
Replace spark plugs - $315 with ford parts, $261 with my parts
Flush brake fluid - $95
Fuel injector service - $100
Front & rear brake pad replacement + machine rotors - $300
Oil & filter change (Mobile1) - $75, $50 with my parts

Total (using Ford's parts) - $1542.12
Total (using my parts) - $1457.98
Total after additional discounts using my parts - $1400

Does this sound reasonable as far as cost goes?

Thanks!
Coolant fine but make sure it is a flush, not a drain and refill. A Flush will force contaminants out of the coolant system and clean the system. A drain and refill usually is just that...removes old fluid, replaces it and closes the sytem back up. You never get it clean. If they tell you there is not a difference find another shop.

Fuel filter, do it yourself for 1/5th the cost
P/S fluid is fine
Tranny Fluid is fine
Diff Fluid, you can do it for cheaper
Drive belt you can do it for 1/3rd the cost
Sparkplugs, Whoa!? Do it yourself and follow the TSB.
Brake flush, fine but make sure they are using a powerflusher and not just drain/refill (there is a difference and if they tell you there is not, find another shop)
Fuel injector service - Waste of money IMO
Brake job - does it really need it? Do it yourself for half the cost
Oil Change, up to you.

Last edited by Derf00; 12-18-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:02 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Considering you have a backlog of overdue maintenance, the cost seems reasonable. You can do most or all of it for a lot less. Compared to either the downpayment or payments on a newer one, You are still doing great.

My oldest 'Stang has 141,000 miles on it and the whole car is still solid. I think the investment to keep yours running its best is a good one!

Hope this is useful.

Quick Reply: 150K Miles - What Service I Do To Keep It Forever?