Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head light is not working

Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 PM
shivamf1003@gmail.com

Default Head light is not working

Hi Guys,

I bought my 06 Mustang GT 5 months back, it was working until last month, in the last month it gave me weird behavior like when I turn of the ignition it gave me different errors on odo meter like check “Break system”, “Check charging system” “Check oil pressure” like that then I did go through this forum and I found that I need to reset the computer then I did unplug the battery –ve cable and I did wait for 30 minutes and I did connected back then it working fine from that time onwards.
Yesterday it gave me same weird behavior then I did the same thing like unplug the battery –ve cable and waited for 30 min but it did not solve the problem then I just gave up, and today morning when I start the car its working find except left head light. My car left head light is not working. But when I switch on the high beam it’s working. It’s weird problem. Does anyone have this type of problem before?
Seniors help me please.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:05 PM
The01Cav
2nd Gear Member

It could just be a coincidental bad bulb having a bad low beam.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 PM
shivamf1003@gmail.com

I did check the bulb by swaping from other side, its working fine. so bulb is absolutely fine. thanks for the thought.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:14 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

A lot of times, this type of odd behabior is an indication of a battery going bad. Have yours fully tested at a local parts place and report back.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:37 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

If the battery was low on charge, then the bulb would be dim, not off completely with the other bulb fully eliminated. However, I do agree that it is a good idea to make sure that the battery is fully charged. If it is low it could explain the other issues you were having.

As for the right head light, since you verified that the bulb is good, my guess is that there is a wiring issue in that headlights circuit. Specifically the low beam power wire may be broken or shorted to ground. Not a big deal and very easy to verify, track down & fix with a volt-meter or multi-meter. First make sure that the wires going into the headlight bulb connector are securely in the connector and the connector doesn’t have any damage/corrosion/burn marks etc. If the connector checks out continue on to checking the wiring. If memory serves, the headlight bulb connector has three wires going into it. One ground, one 12 volt power for low beams and one 12 volt power for high beams. Here’s what you do to test it. Assuming you don’t have the circuit diagrams for your year ride, the first step is to figure out that your getting power when the low beams are on:
  • Turn the headlight low beams on
  • Set your meter for as close to 15 volts DC as possible without going under.
  • Unplug the left headlight bulb
  • Touch the negative lead of the meter to the negative battery post
  • Touch the positive lead of the meter to each of the wires in the connector
Only one wire should read 12 volts. That is the power wire for the low beams. If you don’t get 12 volts on one of the wires then the power wire for the low beams is broken in which case you still don’t know which wire is the power wire for the low beams, so figure it out via the process of elimination.

Find the high beam power wire:
  • Turn the headlight high beams on
  • Touch the negative lead of the meter to the negative battery post
Only one wire should read 12 volts. That is the power wire for the high beams.

Now to find the ground wire for the high/low beams:
  • Touch the negative lead of the meter to the positive battery post
Only one wire should read 12 volts. That is the ground wire for the high and low beams. That means the remaining wire is the power wire for the low beams.

Now that you know which wires are which, you can walk back up the power wire for the low beams until you get a reading of 12 volts. The break is in-between the first place you got a good reading and the last place you got a bad reading.

Pro-tip: Try to avoid poking holes in wires. It will only create a vector for moisture to get into the wire and corrode it from the inside out. Back-probe connectors instead with a small safety pin or needle. But if you must poke holes in wires, make sure to seal them up when your done with Liquid Electrical Tape. Regular electrical tape won’t seal.

Good luck...
Old 12-29-2012, 06:53 PM
shivamf1003@gmail.com

Hi Friends,

Thank you for your thoughts and input, I do really appreciate your suggestions a lot. I will go to any Mechanic store and check on the battery first and see how is the battery doing the reason is this morning again I started my car and started driving the car then it is giving me same odd behaviour like giving different errors on odo meter like check “Break system”, “Check charging system” “Check oil pressure” like that then but still I was able to drive but all of sudden when I turn on the indicator lights they are not working but after 1 hour of driving then it's working normally but after some time again its started giving me same behaviour. finally I drove this car with this odd behaviour till evening in the evening when I am driving this car with lights(I difgure that out only low beam lights are not working when I do I beam lights both lights are working) on all of sudden these lights went off and again after few minute they came on and again they went off after few seconds. totally a odd behaviour today driving.

Any suggestions? tomorrow I am going to take my car for battery checkup. any other thoughts, please.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:14 PM
acquah20
1st Gear Member

Sounds like the water leak sjb gremlin to me
Old 12-29-2012, 07:39 PM
white08gt
1st Gear Member

should read brake not break. problems with alternator or weak battery. if your battery falls below 11.5 volts crazy thing happen. my wifes car starting going crazy when the battery started failing. the seatbelt chime would go off even when buckled, the radio started searching and seeking on its own. her car was under warranty, took it in they put a new battery and cured it, hadn't even gotten home before they called to pick it up.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:02 PM
shivamf1003@gmail.com

ok, I will check the batter tomorrow and keep you guys posted about the status. any more suggestions?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:56 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by acquah20
Sounds like the water leak sjb gremlin to me
I always think about that in the back of my mind when I hear this type of thing but I try to bite my tongue. Don't want the guy to put a round through his head... yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head light is not working