Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Methanol System on Roush TVS2300 S/C?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 10:12 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Default Methanol System on Roush TVS2300 S/C?

Hi, I put in a lot of work hours 2012 so I'm expecting a decent sized tax return. After a lot of research, I think a methanol system is what I want to spend it on. It seems like a fairly simple system, I just have a few questions.

I want to mount a decent sized tank and run it from the trunk, would it be better to find some kind of aluminum tank to keep the methanol mix as cool as possible? Where can I find something like that

I have a Moroso catch can, so would spraying methanol in turn be running into it from the S/C manifold and does it matter?

It seems like a sweet deal if it's set up properly, but are there any high risks that it produces?

Also, can you recommend who I should buy it from.

Thank you! I'll post all the results
Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Make sure you have a qualified tuner who knows what he is doing with meth. Only run the proper mixture. Straight meth will eat blower blades. If you're running a tune based on the meth injection and the meth bottle runs empty, DO NOT go full throttle. Meth is there as a safety net to let you produce the same results as running higher octane fuel without having to actually run higher octane fuel. Meth runs out at full throttle, you risk going boom.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:22 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Do you really need any more power than the TVS already provides?
Old 01-03-2013, 12:39 AM
GT Katie
1st Gear Member

An aluminum tank won't keep your methanol any cooler than a steel tank, but I would choose aluminum just for the weight saving. Alum is 1/3 the weight of steel. Also both methanol & ethanol corrode steel faster than aluminum, so another vote for aluminum.
The reason methanol & ethanol feel cool to the touch is because they evaporate fairly fast & it feels cool on your hands because the heat is being taken away with the evaopration. This is the same with all alcohols. Same as when you inject it into your engine. As soon as the alc. gets sprayed out of the injector & hits the air stream, it immediately begins to evaporate & cool the air & your engine.
As for where to buy it, I'd check with American Muscle first. Everybody on MF seems to be happy with their products & service.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:23 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Make sure you have a qualified tuner who knows what he is doing with meth. Only run the proper mixture. Straight meth will eat blower blades. If you're running a tune based on the meth injection and the meth bottle runs empty, DO NOT go full throttle. Meth is there as a safety net to let you produce the same results as running higher octane fuel without having to actually run higher octane fuel. Meth runs out at full throttle, you risk going boom.
I have seen this happen to other cars, running straight meth is definitely not something I'd like to try. The install of the equipment itself looks fairly simple, I was wondering if it'd be a good idea to do that on my own and leave the tuning to someone else. Or, if anyone has an idea of that a total instal on this might be. Luckily with a lot of these units, they have built in safety features like a warning LED and if you get a decent enough one, it will simply disengage the meth system if it is too low.

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Do you really need any more power than the TVS already provides?
My friend, you can never have enough horsepower. Speed is a sickness.

Originally Posted by GT Katie
An aluminum tank won't keep your methanol any cooler than a steel tank, but I would choose aluminum just for the weight saving. Alum is 1/3 the weight of steel. Also both methanol & ethanol corrode steel faster than aluminum, so another vote for aluminum.
The reason methanol & ethanol feel cool to the touch is because they evaporate fairly fast & it feels cool on your hands because the heat is being taken away with the evaopration. This is the same with all alcohols. Same as when you inject it into your engine. As soon as the alc. gets sprayed out of the injector & hits the air stream, it immediately begins to evaporate & cool the air & your engine.
As for where to buy it, I'd check with American Muscle first. Everybody on MF seems to be happy with their products & service.
The kit comes with a plastic tank, not steel hahaha My dad actually probably has an old alcohol tank for his A fuel rail car that I could use to hold the meth. I just want everything to be race quality on this car. American Muscle has a selection, but I was meaning more what brand. The two major choices seem to be AEM and Snow Performance.