Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-23-2015, 02:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Car stalls then won't start... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Dannyf8989
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation Car stalls then won't start... Help!

Hey guys,
So I'm having an issue with my 08 GT (5spd). When I backed out of my parking spot at my apartment complex I stalled out my car, I guess she is a little tempermental with the weather in Raleigh and I didnt give it enough gas. Well I try to start back up and all it does is struggle for a few seconds then shut off, try it a few times and it just dies altogether and starts clicking. So I tried to jump the car and that didn't help.

I caught a ride to class, grabbed a new battery and changed it myself then it started fine 2 times. Then the same thing happened again, couldnt be jumped. Disconnected the battery and cleaned the terminal with a wire brush and it struggled for a few seconds then started. Turned her on and off a few times and it was fine. Drove up to advanced auto to check the alternator and starter, they asked me to pull it up and it started struggling again. They told me the alternator and starter are both fine.

I'm hoping to go downstairs and at least get it started up so I can go to class but I can't deal with the inconsistency. Does anybody have any ideas on a next step? I'm trying to avoid the dealership, I'm a broke college student and that's my absolute last resort... Thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Have you cleaned the throttle body? Has the fuel filter ever been changed?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 AM
chub46
2nd Gear Member

+1 on fuel filter and throttle body.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

could be bad gas or moisture in you fuel cell as well.
fill her up with some fresh gas and treat with and additive to remove moisture.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by mayo
could be bad gas or moisture in you fuel cell as well.
fill her up with some fresh gas and treat with and additive to remove moisture.
That's what I was thinking, moisture in the fuel that would normally not be a problem might become a problem at lower temps.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

+1 on Fuel filter. Also, maybe pop in some injector cleaner. You MIGHT have some crap plugging your injectors. Definately sounds like a fuel issue though.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:03 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

+1 on possible issues with the fuel filter or throttle body.
You can clean the TB with some TB cleaner and a rag.
When is the last time you had the fuel filter changed?
If not too long ago, try putting some Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner in the gas tank with some fresh gas. I put in my car about every 3,000 - 4,000 miles or so. Works great!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Dannyf8989
2nd Gear Member

The throttle body hasn't been cleaned out in upwards of a year so I'll get that taken care of. I just filled the car up with some fresh 93, other than the Chevron does anybody have recommendations on a specific addative that would work out. Fuel filter hasn't been changed. Thanks for the input guys, if you think of anything else let me know!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I've read some people that used seafoam and thought it worked well. Personally, I have not tried it, only the Chevron Techron fuel cleaner.

Have you tried changing the custom tune back to stock, just to see what happens?

Maybe check the CAI fitment to make sure everything is tight and secure as well.
Is the CAI filter fairly clean?

After a trip back from the beach, I had a similar incident with my explorer sport and it turned out I needed a new fuel filter, new fuel pump and to clean the whole fuel system.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 01-29-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:57 PM
searrah

HELP PLEASE! I have a 2006 mustang v6 and lately i would start it up and it would die right after. Now it will act like its going to start but will not turn over. Sometimes after doing this about 45 mins it'll eventually turn over but now it will not turn over at all. A friend hooked it up to a machine and it read the codes p1509,p0113,p0118,and p1298. I have no mechanic background so i have no idea whats going on!!

Quick Reply: Car stalls then won't start... Help!