Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camber wear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 11:59 AM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

Default Camber wear?

I am trying to figure out if I have a camber or toe issue. My current front tires are obviously worn more on the inside of the tire. My car is not lowered, so I dont see how it could be a camber issue. Looking at the car, it appears that it has just a little bit of negative camber. Has anyone else noticed this?

I plan on getting an alignment when new wheels and tires go on this week. My main question is weither or not it would make sense to buy camber bolts and bring them in when they align it? Thanks for any recommendations !
Old 02-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

pics would help. It could be a combination of specs. is the wear consistent or feathered?

Consistent is typically camber, feathered is typically toe.

Here's a diagram to better help.

http://www.mmtirecenter.com/wp-conte...lignment-s.jpg
Old 02-19-2013, 01:37 PM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

This is the front tire, the very inside is worn, in places, down to the polyester radial, it is pretty consistant all the way around the tire. The middle and outside are just now down to the wear bars/indicators.

Last edited by krazykevin; 02-19-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:06 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

According to the diagram, it looks like a camber wear. Hopefully, the alignment will be able to correct the issue. When I lowered my car, I had an alignment done and haven't had any issues.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by krazykevin

This is the front tire, the very inside is worn, in places, down to the polyester radial, it is pretty consistant all the way around the tire. The middle and outside are just now down to the wear bars/indicators.

Yeah, that's consistent wtih Camber being out of spec.

Hit any big potholes that you recall or smack a curbe really well?

Anyways, I'd see if you can get them back into spec without bolts first.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:30 PM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

I have not owned the car for to long, so I can't speak on any curbs/potholes. I have not hit any. I have read that the cars do not have camber adjustment from the factory at all, would it still make sense to try to get it aligned before I buy the camber bolts?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:21 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by krazykevin
I have not owned the car for to long, so I can't speak on any curbs/potholes. I have not hit any. I have read that the cars do not have camber adjustment from the factory at all, would it still make sense to try to get it aligned before I buy the camber bolts?
How many miles on the car? The front lower control arm bushings could be worn out. Mine seemed very sloppy with almost 7 years and only 45,000 miles. Changing to the gt500 control arms maybe a good idea. They also really tighten up the front end. Mine was clunky as hell when turning on rough roads, before the gt500 control arms.

There is no camber adjustment. The shop should have eccentric bolts, but the eibach kit is dirt cheap and you could install them yourself beforehand.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:34 PM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
How many miles on the car? The front lower control arm bushings could be worn out. Mine seemed very sloppy with almost 7 years and only 45,000 miles. Changing to the gt500 control arms maybe a good idea. They also really tighten up the front end. Mine was clunky as hell when turning on rough roads, before the gt500 control arms.

There is no camber adjustment. The shop should have eccentric bolts, but the eibach kit is dirt cheap and you could install them yourself beforehand.
I have right at 100,000. With further reading I am starting to suspect that my lower control are bushings are worn.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:49 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well it's a worth while mod/upgrade over the stock control arms. The camber is probably fine until you are turning hard, when cornering hard the bushings could be giving enough to cause extra tire wear.

I didn't notice any weird tire wear, but I'm lowered with the camber bolts. I was just amazed at how easily I could move the lower control arm, after I had disconnected the lower ball joint.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:47 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Insides of my tires started wearing because the toe was out. Why not just get the alignment checked first?

Quick Reply: Camber wear?