Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retro solutions HID

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 01:23 PM
jbodak31
1st Gear Member

Default Retro solutions HID

I just ordered my Retro Solutions 55k HID's. Can't wait until they arrive. The promo code MUSTANG saves you 10%. Thankyou MF.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

can you provide more details on the cost and procedure? Do you have to send your headlights in or do you buy new headlights and send those or what?
Old 02-19-2013, 02:33 PM
jbodak31
1st Gear Member

It's a kit you buy. It is a plug and play system with your original headlights. The kit cost me with shipping $160.00.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I have to imagine he's just stuffing bright 55 watt HID bulbs into his existing housing. : /

if you want to do a full retrofit you can mail in your existing headlights for the work, send in a new set if you wanted to, do the work yourself if you wanted to etc..

the parts for a fully retrofit are around 250-450$, add in labor / mailing costs, probably 650$ out the door and you'd still need to wire em in when they get back.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:26 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
I have to imagine he's just stuffing bright 55 watt HID bulbs into his existing housing. : /
There's nothing wrong with that.

Retro solution HIDs are fantastic. I've had them on my vehicle for over 2 years and have no complaints. If anything ever goes wrong, they stand behind their product 100%. There is no need to spend $650 for a retrofit kit that likely won't net you the same gains anyways. I've had no problems with people flashing their brights AT ALL. There are several write-ups on the installation if you do a search. Very simple and well worth the money.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I see headlight glare from these kits all the time and I never flash my high beams at them. doesn't mean it doesn't annoy the crap out of me. : )
Old 02-19-2013, 04:05 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Those kits you are seeing are capped as well? Interesting, as I have the 35W and I recently had a few (to be exact, half a dozen) of my friends separately evaluate the glare from my lights while we were on the road and all of them pretty much said they're fine unless I'm going over a hill/bump (where they are temporarily hit by the beam).

But I gotta say, I too have seen some really bad HID kits on mustangs before. I'm thinking they were all ebay brands or something, but maybe I can get a direct comparison one of these days...
Old 02-19-2013, 05:21 PM
jbodak31
1st Gear Member

My stock headlights have that black ball in them that covers the end of the HID bulb so I did not get mine capped. Retro solutions said it was not needed on mine.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:11 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
I see headlight glare from these kits all the time and I never flash my high beams at them. doesn't mean it doesn't annoy the crap out of me. : )
Touche...no offense but I can't justify spending $300 more just so I don't "annoy" others, lol

If that were the case, my exhaust would have nothing done to it.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

well, on top of annoying, it is downright dangerous, too. glare can be absolutely blinding. often times on a two way road I just have to focus incredibly hard on my path and just hope it stays true while I'm temporarily blinded by someone with a bad HID kit (not saying this particular kit is this way - but being the 55 watt version and no projectors, it could very well be semi blinding)

I'll state my piece and leave the thread - I know, everyone wants to feel good about their purchase and decision and justify/defend it, but there's a right way to do everything and there's an affordable way to sort of get the same results. I can't blame people for saving money, we all do it when we can.. but I'd rather do it the right way myself - not only for the sake of better visibility and light output for myself, but for the safety of others. I would be devastated if I caused someone to crash from being temporarily blinded.

these and people that overly tint their tail lights to the point of endangering others are the two largest car modding peevs I have.

if anyone wants to discuss further feel free to PM - I don't want to crap on the thread any harder than I already have.

Quick Reply: Retro solutions HID