Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious question/problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 02:41 PM
aenima4six2

I'd get the v8, no question.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:42 PM
aenima4six2

Going to have far better sound and way more room to grow in the future. Just my 2 cents though.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

$6k is not enough for an engine swap and heads/cams. The bottom line is, note or not, a trade is your most cost efficient option.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:12 PM
up_yours_7
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FrostByte
The point is that you WONT HAVE PAYMENT WITH YOUR TRADE & THE $6K. You will prob have a bit left over.
You wont have any warranty on the work you are planning on & it can get real expensive sorting out any issues you WILL have after a swap like that. A new GT will have a warranty & no issues.

There is so much supporting mods u need to get the V6 to 400 rwhp.

Drive shaft, I wouldnt trust the stock DS w/ that power.
Transmission, will it handle it? Prob not.

Your gonna eat up a good portion of $6k just getting the car ready for what you want.

Buy a GT, you will be amazed at how fast you get over losing the 6.
How so? My trade is only going to be worth about $6k so that's $12 when a gt is a lot more than that? I already have a one piece driveshaft, 8.8 rear axle. So when I buy that motor and trans for $3k it comes with the computers and all the wiring to swap. What else do I need? Looks like I have everything covered to do a straight swap?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Don't forget suspension and rubber to hookup, racking up another $1500 -$2500. And if you want to stop without destroying the stock V6 brakes, there's another couple hundred.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:05 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

You can buy an S197 GT for 12k now.

I mean, I've love to sell you all kinds of mods for your V6, but I tend to agree with those suggesting a trade (or better yet, an outright sale of your car) and then putting the $6k toward a GT.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:30 AM
aenima4six2

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
You can buy an S197 GT for 12k now.

I mean, I've love to sell you all kinds of mods for your V6, but I tend to agree with those suggesting a trade (or better yet, an outright sale of your car) and then putting the $6k toward a GT.
He's right. We just traded our '05 for 10k.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

I too vote for trading the 6-er in and taking that $6000 and getting a stock V8. Or.....take a que from the MANY of us that are much older and have gone down this road a few times....and SAVE that $6000 or invest it in something that WILL make money in the future. I regret spending all that money and time working on cars in my late-teens and early 20's and having nothing to show for it today. If I had taken all of that money and put it away, I would have ZERO debt now and still have $$$ for light mods to my '12 GT. Just saying.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:50 AM
awbreyjd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ditty
I too vote for trading the 6-er in and taking that $6000 and getting a stock V8. Or.....take a que from the MANY of us that are much older and have gone down this road a few times....and SAVE that $6000 or invest it in something that WILL make money in the future. I regret spending all that money and time working on cars in my late-teens and early 20's and having nothing to show for it today. If I had taken all of that money and put it away, I would have ZERO debt now and still have $$$ for light mods to my '12 GT. Just saying.
I have to kinda agree with the tradein. In the end trust me its the better option. But I have always been one and will always be one to live for now. I feel life is to short to not do what you want when you want. I dont wanna get old and think "I wish I woulda done that." Will that lifestyle bite me at some point prolly but I will always be able to say I had fun.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ditty
It's about balance. I max out my Roth IRA contribution every year and contribute the max to work-based retirement. After that, I play with the car. Fun, fast hobby now. Comfortable retirement later. Want to know the secret to always having money in your pocket? Never buy a vehicle you can't write a check for.

Quick Reply: Serious question/problem