Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insuring your MODS...Car Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 04:13 AM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
If your mustang is not your daily driver (mine isn't), then you can insure it for an agreed upon value through a specialty insurance company like Grundy's or Haggerty's. I have mine insured through Grundy's at an agreed upon value of $30,000. Obviously, I have much more than that invested in the car, and obviously, no one would be willing to pay that amount to buy it from me now, but the beauty of the agreed upon value insurance is that if my car gets totalled, I get the full amount, no questions asked. I'm not looking to recoup everything I've put into the car, but should something terrible happen, I'd feel a lot better about getting $30,000 back from Grundy's than getting the $15,000 or so that Geico would likely pay out. My premium for my policy is only $450 a year. Can't beat that. My dad also has Grundy's for his 1966 Fairlane.
Diabolical with the agreed upon value would that increase the amount for repairs? For instance, instead of totaling it at bb value would they increase it up to the $30,000?
Old 03-01-2013, 05:18 AM
barspeedhollywood
1st Gear Member

If your mustang is not your daily driver (mine isn't), then you can insure it for an agreed upon value through a specialty insurance company like Grundy's or Haggerty's. I have mine insured through Grundy's at an agreed upon value of $30,000. Obviously, I have much more than that invested in the car, and obviously, no one would be willing to pay that amount to buy it from me now, but the beauty of the agreed upon value insurance is that if my car gets totalled, I get the full amount, no questions asked. I'm not looking to recoup everything I've put into the car, but should something terrible happen, I'd feel a lot better about getting $30,000 back from Grundy's than getting the $15,000 or so that Geico would likely pay out. My premium for my policy is only $450 a year. Can't beat that. My dad also has Grundy's for his 1966 Fairlane.
See...very good info. and good to know. I'll be calling them in the near future 100%. Diabolical! you're like my mustang therapist! Hahaha if I have a question you and also moosestang always have answers
Old 03-01-2013, 05:59 AM
JimC

My carrier is Liberty Mutual and they will insure the mods. I just have to give them a list, with the prices, and then they will tell me how much extra per year. On my 2006 with the Xcharger and several other things it was only $300 extra a year.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:07 PM
BLWN PNY
1st Gear Member

Just about any Insurance will add a rider along with your policy, you just have to get your car appraised for a relacement value and insure that amount, Kind of like GAP Insurance that will cover your car if you owe more than they will pay for the car in case of a loss.

Learned the hard way about Insurance bought a new Trans Am GTA modded the crap out of it and on the 31st day I owned it a semi took it out. I lost $9000 by time it was said and done. so I took them to court with all the receipts took almost a yr to get it but got most my money back. wont do that again!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:39 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

What if you put it in the wall at the track?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:54 PM
barspeedhollywood
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
My carrier is Liberty Mutual and they will insure the mods. I just have to give them a list, with the prices, and then they will tell me how much extra per year. On my 2006 with the Xcharger and several other things it was only $300 extra a year.
Good info.... thanks

I love that Diabolical! deal though! But I see some companies are willing to do business with a modder...Cool!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:57 PM
barspeedhollywood
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BLWN PNY
Just about any Insurance will add a rider along with your policy, you just have to get your car appraised for a relacement value and insure that amount, Kind of like GAP Insurance that will cover your car if you owe more than they will pay for the car in case of a loss.

Learned the hard way about Insurance bought a new Trans Am GTA modded the crap out of it and on the 31st day I owned it a semi took it out. I lost $9000 by time it was said and done. so I took them to court with all the receipts took almost a yr to get it but got most my money back. wont do that again!
Yo!!! Glad you are alive after a semi took it down to China town Man! Thank God

Good work on sticking with it in court and getting most money back out of it. PROPS bro

Old 03-02-2013, 12:00 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I'm not sure about his particular insurance agreement, but many places sell single day track insurance packages. typical costs are around 50 dollars per 10,000$ insured, so it can expensive, quick. typical insurance companies do not cover any sort of track use.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:09 AM
barspeedhollywood
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Awesome question...shi*T

I'm gonna say they aint coverin that. Unless you go over this and they add it to the policy. (Hey, I race my car next to another car at the quickest, fastest, highest top speed I can possibly do with power shifting and with all my crazy HotRod "MODS" LOL!!! Is that cool??? Oh...and I promise I won't have even 1 beer with all my friends there.)

Just a joke guys...

I mean this is the 2nd level of this thread question is it not?!?! LOL

What's the 3rd level??? I dunnooo...

Look Insur company....I just wanna do what I want in my shi* that I built in the damn USA....COVER ME!!!

LOLOLOL

Old 03-02-2013, 12:11 AM
barspeedhollywood
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
I'm not sure about his particular insurance agreement, but many places sell single day track insurance packages. typical costs are around 50 dollars per 10,000$ insured, so it can expensive, quick. typical insurance companies do not cover any sort of track use.
Interesting...pay to play.

Or to at least play without total regret

Quick Reply: Insuring your MODS...Car Insurance