Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whining noise after JLT/BAMA install

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 02:58 PM
lizard96

Default whining noise after JLT/BAMA install

just finished test driving 2012 GT with the JLT/Bama combo. went out on the race tune and every time i go WOT, i get a 1 to 2 second whine....kinda sounds an airgun noise.

any ideas?whining noise after JLT/BAMA install-imag0602.jpg

whining noise after JLT/BAMA install-imag0603.jpg
Old 03-30-2013, 03:11 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

More than likely the CAI (draws more air, causes whine). It's normal.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:38 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Same opinion as above here. Were you used to not hear your air being drawn in, now you can. You are moving a considerable amount more to now. Not 1000 CFM, but you did gain the ability to breath. Making a little more HP now!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:04 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lizard96
just finished test driving 2012 GT with the JLT/Bama combo. went out on the race tune and every time i go WOT, i get a 1 to 2 second whine....kinda sounds an airgun noise.

any ideas?Attachment 33708

Attachment 33709
It's most likely just the CAI pulling in large amounts of air and you're not used to the sound just yet, this is completely normal! I would recommend giving all of the clamps a once over as well, if everything's tight it's most likely just the CAI pulling in large amounts of air.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Old 04-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by lizard96

any ideas?Attachment 33708

Attachment 33709
Not to mention you also have a 'sound tube' connected to the firewall for enhanced engine 'sound' in the passenger compartment. This tube was tuned with the factory air intake so the JLT probably messed up the sweet spot. Remove the tube, plug the intake hole left from removing the tube and call it done.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:48 PM
lizard96

Thanks AMDanBailer.
I appreciate the support. In fact, I did come across some trouble with the install; can you tell from the pics?

The new screw connecting the MAF sensor broke inside the grommet an left the shaft of the screw in the hole. I tried needle-nose pliers to get it out, but no go. And i couldn't try to punch it through b/c there plastic backing inside the air tube. After some thought, I used some double sided M3 tape (white stuff behind the MAF) and a zip-tie to hold it in place. I hate leaving it like that for the long haul, but it was the only thing I could do at the time.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:58 PM
lizard96

so are most people not reconnecting the sound tube after install? maybe b/c i did reconnect it, i get the accentuated sound of an air-gun like whisp noise.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:19 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

I reconnected my sound tube and do not have any sounds other than the air being pulled in through the intake. I have a Steeda intake though.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
I reconnected my sound tube and do not have any sounds other than the air being pulled in through the intake. I have a Steeda intake though.
I have this same sucking in sound with my Steeda intake when I get on it. I also have a wizzing noise that I'm not sure is normal. I'm going to try to remove that sound tube and see if that does anything.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:13 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

While parked, open the hood, roll down your windows, and rev it a few times. You will hear it sucking in air. That's a good sound! Lots of people love CAIs just because of the sound it makes!

Quick Reply: whining noise after JLT/BAMA install